• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

Attack on Titan (why there hasn't been another season yet baffles me)

Probably because they're waiting for the manga to finish up.

Wyvern wrote:

Academia is getting another season (and likely will just keep getting more as long as the manga is popular) and I'm willing to bet that when Naruto's filler material finally runs dry, we'll get a Boruto anime that runs for a million years.

Be pretty dumb to do that unless the Boruto anime winds up being drastically different from the manga as it's monthly comic.

#864447 wrote:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will be remembered.

For what? Janky writing? It's fanbase complaining about the intros after Sono Chi no Sadame, Making songs most people have never heard of relevant again?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Even for someone who watches much of seasonal anime, the number of anime produced in recent years is still high. There are still shows that I hadn't watched but heard were good. I've spent the past few months rectifying that but I'm still not done. I can understand people who don't even have time to watch as many new series as I do not having time to scour the good or even best of those that have finished airing. Even if it wasn't as much as the peak in 2006, for those of us who started following seasonal anime in the early 2010's like myself (though I started watching anime well before then), there definitely has been an increase. And the data provided earlier in the thread bears that out as has been mentioned earlier.

On the lack of a successor to the long-running shonen titles, it does not seem forthcoming, at least nothing like Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece in continuous length. It seems at best to go more like Fairy Tail and Gintama, with relatively modest length (for long form shonen) runs broken up with hiatuses when the source material is caught up in lieu of continuous runs with filler. I had thought World Trigger could be that, but given the silence on the production front since it was replaced by a (non-anime) sports show, I don't think it will be that successor (which actually is illustrative of the shift from daytime to late night anime mentioned earlier). I have no similar hopes for the currently airing Twin Star Exorcists.

@AholePony nice to see a fellow Last Exile fan. I actually saw that on TV all those years ago on some channel (TechTV which I had to look up). One of the few non Toonami anime among my personal nostalgia pieces. Its sequel was not quite as good though.

On the subject of BBB, hopefully the sequel makes the series better remembered but some of the staffing changes have me concerned that it may not live up to the original series. I'll leave further discussion of that if and when it is reported here.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I think part of the issue is that a lot of anime being created in this generation is very otaku-centric, which I think by its nature is less aimed at being "classic" and more aimed at catering to the tastes of the fandom.

It may be out of topic, but if there were less "faithful to the source material" adaptations, things would be a little bit better. Which is the need to adapt faithfully a source when you can take what works in the source material and mix canon with well made non-canon(depending on the substance and structure of the source material) and have a good series? In the US, a series based on a book doesn´t use as much of the books as we want anyway, so Japan should learn to use this approach as well.

So many directors worrying about pleasing the fans of the source material(a.k.a ELITISTS) so they can choose one medium over the other(e.g when you choose the FMA manga over any adaptation when you could also watch the first series' fillers as well), when we could have a show mix with filler and canon that makes us enjoy both mediums. I hate that these days are very otaku centric with anime adaptations. I want to enjoy the best of both mediums, not discuss why "the source material iz better, it's a masterpiez, the anime sux" and things like that.

Please Justin Servakis, make an aticle about this too, I even sent a question about this PLEASE

Last edited by SkerllyF on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I would say Yuri On Ice will last, but... Free seems to be fading. But then again, Yuri On Ice is so much better than Free. It's just really really good.

I think something also needs to be said for shows that aren't widely loved anymore, but still have a fandom - like Code Geass was up until this week's announcement. Also, Japanese perspective vs. English perspective. The trend here seems to be that mobile games get popular before they get an anime - Ensemble Stars seems to be the most popular thing now. Of course, in the US, no one's ever heard of it, and Touken Ranbu isn't taking off there either, even though there's an anime now. (though, maybe with the more serious one next season...) I think TouRabu will last... I want to say it will. The characters are great.I think character writing does make a difference.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I have no similar hopes for the currently airing Twin Star Exorcists.

Why, beacuse of the 50 episode limit? That's right, considering it's based on a monthly comic.

Or because "I want it to be faithful to the manga" thing? Too much elitism about that series when some of the fillers even give one stuff that I thing the manga is never gonna bother answering it. Sure, it's fillers are no masterpiece(or equivalent to the Power Arc in Naruto) but it's a good example of the otaku-centric nature of anime adaptations these days.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
When started watching Blood Battlefront Blockade live, i was convinced it would be a classic remembered for at least a decade. By the time i got it on Bluray, i rarely heard anything about it.

Same here. I was convinced that BBB was going to become an all time favorite. I affectionately refer to Blood Blockade Battlefront as Cowboy Bebop 2. By the way, apparently season 2 of BBB is airing in 2017.

As good as it was, there have been handfuls of shows like that since Samurai Champloo, and they take years of dedication to really spread past the proverbial no man's land that is "newbie/normal-bloke-friendly anime recommendations that aren't Cowboy Bebop" territory. People didn't pick up on Darker than Black or Michiko to Hatchin for the LONGEST time, and stuff like Casshern SINS/Seirei no Moribito get forgotten about as fast as Wolf's Rain is every time it gets put back on TV. Don't even get me started on Kaiji and how sorely under-appreciated it somehow manages to be to this day

I hope BBB S2 hits all the same notes again, it deserves to at least get Black Lagoon's level of recognition
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Netflix concentrating more on shows they can co-produce
Uh, I don't think Netflix is on any production committees unless they're on say the committee for Knights of Sidonia which is one of those you have to look up the producers to figure out the companies involved.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Aniplex, Kodansha, Dentsu, Movic, MBS

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad: Shogakukan, Aniplex, MBS

Ajin: King Records, Kodansha, Polygon Pictures, Klockworx, Sony Music Communications, Toho, MBS
(Note MBS is listed outside of these committees. Source for these three are their respective JP Wikipedia entries which don't link well here.)
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'd like to see those statistics, please.

http://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/chousa/sangyo_toukei

Only Japanese version available at the moment. I'm completely astonished that ANN does not apparently study these industry reports at all.
Not too surprised, ANN has ignored notable Japanese articles and reports in the past. For example...
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?23410 (Despite covering the past two)
http://blog.bdh.moe/?p=111
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
@SkerllyF I don't read manga so I don't really care about faithfulness per se as long as it is good. I can't say that about too much of the filler in TSE. Even if it had material for more than 50, I doubt that sales would warrant it. Its flaws are not in excessive otaku pandering but rather in too frequently mediocre execution in terms of production and writing, the latter for the non canon arcs/episodes especially, as the end of the last canon arc was well done. No otaku, inside or outside Japan, likes or wants poor execution. I fail to see how it is an example of how "otaku-centric" anime nowadays is. You never fail to decry in high dudgeon those who want a more faithful adaptation or even just find a particular filler arc lacking. Perhaps you ought to ease up on the subject.

@Konopan I like the recognition for Samurai Champloo, which is another of my personal favorites.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
and have a good series?

.....Which would be subjectively good not objectively good.

SkerllyF wrote:
In the US, a series based on a book doesn´t use as much of the books as we want anyway,

For a myriad or reasons not simply because they don't want to.

SkerllyF wrote:
So many directors worrying about pleasing the fans of the source material(a.k.a ELITISTS)

I find this curious considering how many animes tend to be semi or drastically different from their source material. Meaning they're not really trying to please fans of the source material.

SkerllyF wrote:
when we could have a show mix with filler and canon that makes us enjoy both mediums.

Why I'm not one of those "filler is bad types" the problem that you potentially and almost always run into with filler is that they tend to be just plain terrible or serve no true purpose besides well filling up time and when your whole entire series consists of this you get something like both Naruto series.

SkerllyF wrote:
I hate that these days are very otaku centric with anime adaptations.

......this sentence has a glaring contradiction in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Merxamers wrote:

Attack on Titan (why there hasn't been another season yet baffles me)

Probably because they're waiting for the manga to finish up.

Wyvern wrote:

Academia is getting another season (and likely will just keep getting more as long as the manga is popular) and I'm willing to bet that when Naruto's filler material finally runs dry, we'll get a Boruto anime that runs for a million years.

Be pretty dumb to do that unless the Boruto anime winds up being drastically different from the manga as it's monthly comic.

#864447 wrote:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will be remembered.

For what? Janky writing? It's fanbase complaining about the intros after Sono Chi no Sadame, Making songs most people have never heard of relevant again?

JoJo's all about being over the top. It's basically a parody of fist of the north star. Also, how does some opinions regarding the intros after Sono relevant to how the series will be remembered? If anything, JoJo is similar to One Punch Man in that regard that they both go over the top. Why? Because it's better than being another one of those generic shows that gets washed out every season.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Classic is a word that has lost most of it's meaning. It's suppose to just mean old, like if you buy classic cars or classic music. It has no relation to some kind of quality. Any anime that's old is a classic anime. Memorable anime is trickier because the barometer of "still gets talked about" is flimsy. Who exactly talks about a show from the 80s all the time and why? Are they simply obsessed with it and it takes over their entire life? Or is it in a discussion of "What is your favorite anime of each decade?" It's unrealistic to expect any show to be a daily conversation decades after it's over. People move on to new stuff. It's not a sign of forgetable or lesser quality shows.

To answer the question, no I don't think it's too much anime being made. More is a!ways better. More chances to find stuff you like and more stories to be told. Other industries would love to be so plentiful that a question like this could even be asked.

SkerllyF wrote:
It may be out of topic, but if there were less "faithful to the source material" adaptations, things would be a little bit better. Which is the need to adapt faithfully a source when you can take what works in the source material and mix canon with well made non-canon(depending on the substance and structure of the source material) and have a good series? In the US, a series based on a book doesn´t use as much of the books as we want anyway, so Japan should learn to use this approach as well.

As someone who was a fan of comic books back in the day I would have killed for a proper adaption of them. Instead we had to suffer watered down children's cartoons based on them, and now live-action movies and TV series which have so little to do with comics they make the old children's cartoons look like masterpieces. Anime being faithful to the manga is a positive for the medium, and something I greatly appreciate. It's extremely convenient that you don't have to read the manga or watch the show to be a part of the same fandom. It's pretty much impossib!e for comic fans and tv/movie fans to converse because the two are so different you essentially like two different things. For One Piece fans, it doesn't matter if you read it or watch it because it's all the same, aside from fillers which is no big deal, as opposed to Walking Dead fans. I much prefer the way Japan handles franchises.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Personally, I don't believe there's "too many anime shows being made"; more anime shows is always a good thing, as I have plenty more flavors of Anime to choose from. As for the "quality" part...Well...That's a subjective matter altogether...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
#864447 wrote:
JoJo's all about being over the top. It's basically a parody of fist of the north star.

No it's not, Their plots and their cast couldn't be anymore more different from one another. Also for something to be a parody of another it has to be self aware of the fact that it's a parody. The series never comes close to doing this everything it does it plays it straight regardless of the potential risk of mood whiplash.

#864447 wrote:
Also, how does some opinions regarding the intros after Sono relevant to how the series will be remembered?

Because it's something that crops up everytime a new JoJo opening drops. To the point it's a meme in of itself.

#864447 wrote:
Why? Because it's better than being another one of those generic shows that gets washed out every season.

Something being over the top doesn't make it better than something else by default.

Stuart Smith wrote:
For One Piece fans, it doesn't matter if you read it or watch it because it's all the same,

Well sure aside from people giving Toei flack for the occasional issue with QUALITY and slight changes and how it ruins their favorites scenes from the manga.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
While I agree that industry churns out a lot of shallow garbage, I don't think that quantity of produced anime has much to do with the lack of so-called classics. Thing is, 20 years ago anime was a cool new thing, it had a mysterious aura and every standout production was regarded as an instant classic. Nowadays the medium is much more familiar to a viewer, it's not fresh anymore, so, when you see a great show it doesn't have the same lasting impact as Cowboy Bebop regardless of quality, it just perceived as another great work.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
I personally think the question of how memorable a series will be is an intellectual red herring. The fact of the matter is, most works that reach elite status, regardless of medium, weren't predicted to do so in their times. Evangelion was thought a failure by virtually everyone that worked on it at the time, yet it's one of the most enduring names in the business to this date. Cowboy Bebop is still debated as to its status and rank among anime legends, which in of itself shows how much of a legend it's become. But at its time, but it wasn't an automatic hit when it came out. And it'd be hard to go back now and evaluate with such precise recollection, but there are surely numerous shows from the 90s and early 00s that were thought to be wonderful masterpieces that would go down for all time when they were first launched, only to fizzle and barely be remembered at all.

This question I call a red herring because it is generally easy for folks to look back on the past with rosy views and compare it to the present or the unknowable future and think it to be somehow lacking. As it pertains to "obsession" over a given series, that still exists no doubt. However, the need to horde that obsession is less prevalent nowadays. In the 90s you hunted down and obsessed over your favorite show because that was the only way to engage it. If you didn't speak Japanese, it took forever for a series to come out in the language you did speak, if at all. Obsessing over it kept it alive long enough for the cathartic release of finally enjoying it - reading or hearing the dialogue, seeing the scenes play out. You couldn't really engage with it in a meaningful way outside the limited engagement with what was by then a partially stale product. It created a slow-burning effect - all anime good enough for beyond-Japan reach were drawn out by the mere fact of practice that it was sometimes years between when a series originally aired in Japan, and when it was available for consumption by those who didn't speak Japanese or live in Japan to watch it on Japanese television.

The advent and expansion of streaming options, and before that the growth of the DVD market, and before, and concurrent to that, you had the rise of programming blocks like Toonami and the anime-leaning segments of the Saturday morning broadcast networks, the turn around time that led to the slow burn phenomenon previously was eroded. Before, when a series ended in Japan, it still had life waiting for the verdict on whether it would see release internationally, primarily the US, and that kept interest and discussion on it going until it could be seen.There were murmurs about plots and characters, and you had discussions about what it would be like just on those tidbits, and so anticipation could build and build for a long time before a show finally was available to see. But as things stand now, you barely have an hour or so before an episode airs in Japan and it then streams online with various language subtitles. A larger and larger number are being dubbed before they even get through episode 5 of their first season. Everyone can talk about each episode minutes after it's put out, and so there is little reason or need to keep it alive in discussion and analysis after-the-fact because it's already been done within a week of its airing. And even if you missed out on the discussion at first run, you don't need to restart and rehash the discussion because it's archived on the internet somewhere for you to read, unless you're just interested in arguing someone.

Similarly, this availability of past productions impairs the "freshness" of any individual product. If this were the 90s, comparing Magical Girl Raising Project to Madoka would have been a moot point for most folks because they would have lacked the ability to go back and watch Madoka, or had any reasonable ability to buy a copy of it on video. Even then they had a very small net of people they could discuss it with, mainly anyone in their circle of friends who also saw it or they showed it to. And that spread organically as the group met others and shared that limited experience. This one anime is similar to that other anime? So what? I can't get that other one, and I'm watching this one now, and it's just fine to me. But in so thinking, the legend of the precursor is heightened. Now that rarity that is being referenced becomes something bigger than it originally was, because the want to experience that comparative event is continually held at arm's length. But, nowadays, if you have that itch to scratch, it's all to easy to just reach back and scratch.

For these reasons, I don't think "memorability" of a series is a particularly applicable assessment given the current state of our culture. In general our society has put less and less emphasis on memory as we've come to increasingly rely on the fact that so much of what we "remember" can be found on the internet at a moment's notice. Sharing our thoughts about a series past its airing holds less meaning unless there is a reason to call back on those memories the way folks who grew up in those times had to do for series back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10