• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Studio Khara Sues Gainax for 100 Million Yen in Royalties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
That's a bit of a shock.

But then again...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
In nature, there are some species where the offspring feast off the flesh of their dead parent to provide nourishment.

Just saying.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
It seems like some people in this thread have not realized that the lawsuit is for about US$ 1 million not US$100 millions.

Oops. Yeah, that make a difference. Definitely a sign of the state of the ties between the studios though, hopefully both studio can weather the suit okay.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
I don't see this ending well for Gainax a studio that has all but filed for bankruptcy. But after this lawsuit settles they might as well just disappear from existence. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
From how that article read, I don't understand why they're only suing for 100 mil ¥. Gainax already owes that amount just in the loan they took and haven't paid back, plus they haven't paid the royalties on top of that. Are they suing for the loan or for the royalties, and why not both?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
From how that article read, I don't understand why they're only suing for 100 mil ¥. Gainax already owes that amount just in the loan they took and haven't paid back, plus they haven't paid the royalties on top of that. Are they suing for the loan or for the royalties, and why not both?

I agree this seems odd.

Perhaps this lawsuit is just a way of them making sure they get in line for upcoming bankruptcy proceedings as a primary creditor.

Either way this looks really bad for Gainax. In Japan companies don't sue each other like this without good reason.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't take away some of the budget for Uru No Blue, which is set for 2018.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
They asked their dad for a small loan of 1 million dollars and haven't paid it back. smh
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
Hideaki anno makes me sick.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Since Gainax hasn't done a lot of projects lately, I suppose there are some cashflow problems that led to these payment delays. Still, I'm surprised they still get Evangelion royalties, because I thought the rights had been fully transferred to Khara, considering the fact that they weren't even credited as the original creators of the series in the final volume of the manga. Now I assume both studios are effectively sharing the copyright, even though only one of the two is getting credited nowadays.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Why is that? He's a pretty admirable guy imo, and nothing about this lawsuit seems unwarranted.

Nyron wrote:
I seriously want an anime about Gainax itself
The drama between the founders and directors is fascinating

Otaku no Video is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to that for the time being.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
well, the bad part is that gainax had an income of 200 million, not a profit, os by the looks of it they are unable to pay back the amount.

angelmcazares wrote:
It seems like some people in this thread have not realized that the lawsuit is for about US$ 1 million not US$100 millions.

nobody said usd in the thread Razz
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
redranger wrote:

Why is that? He's a pretty admirable guy imo, and nothing about this lawsuit seems unwarranted.

He's the reason Gainax is a shell of its former self.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

How is that his fault? Because he left and they can't take care of themselves without him?

A lot of people seem confused. Gainax BORROWED money FROM Khara in 2014 for roughly this amount.

Quote:
Khara loaned 100 million yen in August 2014, but has yet to receive repayment and is suing for about that amount.

This isn't children sustaining themselves through their parents, it's the opposite. And then having the parent refusing to reimburse their kid who gave them money. And I highly doubt Khara needs this money for Eva, or anything else. People thinking that they need an extra $1 million USD to make when they have made $100s of millions of dollars from the Rebuilds over the last decade, is ridiculous. They just deserve to be paid what they are owed, simply put.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Your anger makes no sense. He decided to leave because he wanted to start from square one again. Anything else that happens to Gainax is on them. Was he not allowed to leave or something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3