• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Mononoke to Screen in U.S. Theaters With 'On Your Mark' Short

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I recall hearing Disney wanted to release something more like Kiki following its success on home video, but Tokuma insisted they go with Miyazaki's most recent film at the time. I think it was a wise decision Miyazaki followed up with Spirited Away, a movie more in his style.

Japan might not care about how other anime does in the US, but the fact that the US was going to see Mononoke was a BIG deal in the Japanese pop-press at the time it was the all-time #1. (Sort of like our bragging preoccupation with how much Japan liked Frozen and Avatar.) So it was certainly bragging rights for Tokuma to insist that Disney mandatorily screen Mononoke in theaters as part of the deal.
But as we later found out, Japan also hadn't caught up with DVD yet in '99, and didn't want Disney to pump out a dual-language DVD before Toho did, and risk reverse importation. That was the reason for the big fan blowup over the first English-only Miramax DVD (and the only "studio petition" that ever actually worked), which not only helped re-inspire Disney's interest in Ghibli, but also helped kick Japan in the seat about getting onto DVD before other other countries did.

And yes, Spirited Away was much more like Kiki, or at least Chihiro was, to start off with.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BTW, it kind of got ignored, but don't forget that Ocean Waves is also finally getting an official theatrical-and eventually home video [?]-release here, too. Cool

I had a feeling they were going to do this eventually. That is, if that listing is actually the real deal, which I'm inclined to believe (why else would such an obscure film be listed?). This means soon we'll have all of the Ghibli films licensed and released in the US finally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2