• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Streaming Numbers Count?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
ravenwood7040 wrote:
I don't think that's right though, those paragraphs make it seem like the industry used to run exclusively on royalties, but that now there are no royalties and an upfront fee instead. It would also mean that a few years ago Japan was providing shows to platforms like Hulu in exchange for no money and only a promise of royalties, and no guaranteed return at all, which seems like a very reckless business decision.

It's not all that different from advertising. If you are working on a 100% royalty based contract, you won't make any money just for handing the show over, but it is putting the show in front of a lot of eyeballs and each of those clicks will provide revenue that goes back to Japan. There is very often an up front risk like that in business. You might have to work in the red for a while before the audience builds to a size that puts it in the black, but you will still eventually make money. And just getting the show out there on as many streaming platforms as possible isn't going to cost very much at all for the producers.

#861208 wrote:
On topic: Who, exactly does the royalty fee go to? I'm asking because there's a show on Crunchy that I watch as background pretty frequently (Kamigami no Asobi), and I'd hope the royalties go to the original producers and not Sentai, because their release was pretty eh... but it was streaming on Crunchy before Sentai licensed it, so... probably.

Yeah, that would almost certainly go straight to the production committee. The only time where I could see that being different is if Crunchyroll sub-licensed the show directly through Sentai. In this case, and in the case of most CR shows, from the sounds of it, those royalties go straight back to Japan.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Streaming gives almost nothing to the industry.

Buy BDs or stop pretending you're useful, you're not. Might as well buy a coffee and cake for animators because that's what they're getting from localized anime, middle-men take the rest.
I assume you mean Japanese Blu-Rays, as opposed to overseas releases? I'm glad we have someone on this site with insider financial info on how the Japanese industry's getting ripped off by the streaming sites they've willingly signed deals with for years. But you're right, I think I'll cut out those middlemen companies and go watch on illegal streaming sites instead! spoiler[Protip: <--- this is how most people respond to the "overseas industry doesn't count, only Japanese imports do" canard.]
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, I've never heard of a show getting another season due to Crunchyroll numbers, just Japanese BD sales and merchandise. He's not exactly wrong in saying buying BDs would be a more direct way of helping a show you like.

-Stuart Smith
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
To be fair, I've never heard of a show getting another season due to Crunchyroll numbers, just Japanese BD sales and merchandise. He's not exactly wrong in saying buying BDs would be a more direct way of helping a show you like.

-Stuart Smith

I've heard of shows not getting another season regardless of whatever metric you want to apply to this case. Saying "I've not heard of Crunchyroll numbers meaning anything" doesn't prove any point as their numbers are not public so we don't know how much each production is earning from their royalties.

Their argument is "I buy Japanese BDs, which gives more to the animators!" which is mostly false in a lot of cases. It's just another middleman (JP video publisher) that may or may not give any money to the studio (which may or may not employ said animators) depending if the studio is on the production committee and gets money as allotted via contractual obligations. That poster may buy a series' JP BDs from a retailer (another middleman) who purchases said stock from the publisher and may not buy any more, therefore not affecting production at all.

International rights via mostly streaming was the biggest growth in revenue in fiscal 2015 for the Japanese anime industry and was about half the size of all disc revenue in 2015. Saying "streaming doesn't given anything" is now false as companies like Crunchyroll and Chinese streaming companies have increased the amount they pay for licenses.

On an individual level, perhaps you could argue that the amount *you* pay for a JP BD gives back more that what you pay for a Crunchyroll subscription. However, that ignores that you are only one person and unlikely to change anything on your own. Crunchyroll is still growing subscribers and can pay more than the vast majority of anime fans for a production, therefore it's better to support them and advertise the shows you like so that more of the money they take in goes to productions you like and can help support something more in that future. Crunchyroll has been on a couple of committees (directly financing productions) in the past two years and has been present in other productions.

I used to believe that importing was "the one true way" to support productions similar to #825565, but the numbers don't support that anymore.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Streaming gives almost nothing to the industry.

Buy BDs or stop pretending you're useful, you're not. Might as well buy a coffee and cake for animators because that's what they're getting from localized anime, middle-men take the rest.

Do you have any actual proof that animators are paid residuals or royalties rather than by the piece or by the hour? And why would middle-men only take from the streaming and not from BD sales?
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Importing is great, and if I truly love a show, I try to go that route, but it is totally off base to say that streaming doesn't help, or that buying the domestic release doesn't either. Those arguments almost always seem to be weak justification for piracy. "why would I stream legally? It hardly helps at all, I may as well just pirate" "I'll buy the import if I really love something, but legal streaming doesn't help them, so it's pointless to use it".

The growth of the streaming market and the industry revenue charts make it obvious that streaming matters, there is no logical reason not to do your part. Or to shame other people who are legally streaming, but just can't afford to buy imports or physical media on a regular basis.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps, old, older, and ancient could be the standard.
The way I see it is:

Modern 2001-present | Digital paint becomes standard
old 1983-2000 | Anime as we know it comes to be, and Otaku enter the industry
classic 1963-1982 | Astro Boy comes out and TV Anime begins
Early days 19??-1962 | Pre-TV era, Astro Boy yet to give Anime it's unique look

it could be broken down a lot smaller and into better pieces, but that covers the broad strokes.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
An example of streaming numbers probably did count: A 10/10/2015 ANN article called "Ninja Slayer Anime's Japanese TV Debut Slated for Spring in 'Special Edition''' said the show had over 10 million Nico Nico views. Compare this to the 1564 avg./unit on Someanithing.com.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
^IIRC a TV version was always planned for Ninja Slayer
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
An example of streaming numbers probably did count: A 10/10/2015 ANN article called "Ninja Slayer Anime's Japanese TV Debut Slated for Spring in 'Special Edition''' said the show had over 10 million Nico Nico views. Compare this to the 1564 avg./unit on Someanithing.com.

Didn't it drop like 90% between the first and second episodes as well? I remember the initial reception of that being particularly rough. They really turned off anyone who wasn't into what it was selling very quickly.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08, I don't know if it dropped that much. Even still, that is a good viewing amount.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Railgun is nearing a decade since its original airing. It's not recent, hence "older." That's older, not "old." A 20 year old is older than a 19 year old, but it doesn't make them old.
You might as well say the same thing about graphics cards: a 10-year old card isn't "older than" a five-year old device; it's positively ancient, period. Anime isn't quite as aggressive as the tech industry, but even still shows almost universally fall off the map within a year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3