• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Final Fantasy XV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I imagine the second half is the remnants of Nomura's original vision before Tabata came in and changed everything. Which sucks because the second half sounds like a game I'd much rather play.

Nope. The story has been heavily rewritten since Nomura left and the the ending is something you'd normally expect from Tabata.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I can't help but feeling reviews have been insanely merciful with this game. It's an action RPG yet the combat feels too simple and none of the several reviews I checked out had anything good to say about the story...only the strong interactions between the bishonens.

Well comparing it to other open world RPG I'd say dragon dogma is the only game with a more complex combat system, every other one I can think off is far simpler, even including MMORPG and such.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the game and except for a couple of gameplay mechanics that could have been developed with a little more depth and parts of the story that weren't well told/explored, it's a great game overall!
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Story was such a hot mess that I can't help but laugh. Tabata made a good decision to warn Versus XIII fans, who were smart enough to heed his warning(and stop saying I waited 10 years), during the June 2015 ATR that Versus and XV are not the same game. That was obvious once Nomura left. I would have taken XV(still Versus XIII) and it's sequels over this game called XV(only XV). No amount of story patches(its happening) can fix it. Kingsglaive was more Versus than the game itself and that bar isn't even high. The game should have released in 2017 because it really needed more time to be worked on. I really had to watch the Versus trailers again after beating the game to purify myself.

Best parts of the game were seeing Cidney, spoiler[Aranea(voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro)], and spoiler[Ardyn(voiced by Keiji Fujiwara)].
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tajima"]
bleachj0j wrote:
meiam wrote:
I'm personally not watching any of the tie-ins while playing simply because I want the story that is in the game.

Then you are missing more than half of the story. You may not like it, but it's nonsensical to say that the "story" is laughably bad when they've made it more than clear that this is a multimedia project.

Hell, without watching Kingslaive (which comes with most copies of the game) you're missing basically the entire backstory.

Well it didn't come with my copy. Maybe they should work on making the story in the actual game decent instead of focusing on it being a "multimedia project" that requires watching an anime and a movie.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
I was willing to give FFXV a chance despite my distaste for open worlds and action RPGs of this sort. If nothing else, I'm just curious to see what I see out of this ambitious mess. Between the literally unfinished story that they're still patching, the ridiculous in-game ads for Cup Noodles, and the overall impression I've gotten that I had better watch the various spinoffs if I want to actually understand the plot, I think this is gonna be a pass for me. Maybe when I can get it for $15 out of the bargain bin.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I was willing to give FFXV a chance despite my distaste for open worlds and action RPGs of this sort. If nothing else, I'm just curious to see what I see out of this ambitious mess. Between the literally unfinished story that they're still patching, the ridiculous in-game ads for Cup Noodles, and the overall impression I've gotten that I had better watch the various spinoffs if I want to actually understand the plot, I think this is gonna be a pass for me. Maybe when I can get it for $15 out of the bargain bin.

Your loss.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Saying that you need to watch all the multimedia product before you can understand the game, is like saying you need to read the light novels before you can understand the anime.

It just doesn't play.

Game spent to much time in development hell.

Sure it is a pretty game, and has a lot of good elements. And it sounds like a lot of people, at least in the west, like the game. More power to them. Hopefully, the next installment will be better.
Dandylion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Really loved the game !!! It has flaws like the rushed second half, How some of the side quests are handled and a couple of battle mechanics that could have been better ... But It's a great starting point for the future of the series !!! Also I hope that they'll fix some of the problems with the massive post-launch support they announced !!!

Oh and by the way ... Happy 29th Birthday Final Fantasy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2