• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Animation Studio Operating Out of 45-Year-Old Condo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It seems that that lawsuit threat from Khara has potentially put Gainax in a serious financial predicament. I don't see how they'll be able to run an effective anime production system with space this tight.
thecapt1701

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Missing onw from the founders list:

person#1166
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Now, this is just sad. I guess that's why they were holding out on giving royalties since they are in such a predicament when it comes to budget. I don't know but personally, Studio Khara should give them a chance to recover but I guess that wouldn't happen since Ano had signal a homing missiles dedicated straight to them the day he had announced the lawsuit, plus most of Gainax best workers had moved to Trigger so it's harder for them to produce some quality material right out of the bat. There's a huge chance for them to tumble down right now and I fear that another studio might be filed for bankcruptcy.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Seriously, Gainax is suffering perhaps more than they should be. If I remember reading correctly, they no longer have the rights to any of the Eva anime titles. So, the chances of them having a new hit is seemingly next to impossible.

Let alone FLCL, whose rights are sold off to Production I.G., for that matter.

Gainax is apparently in dire straits. . . . . . . .
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I get the felling they'll be pulling a Manglobe after while kinda sad Sad
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
I guess this year was quite a shocker for Anno himself, just thinking himself having a biggest breakout since Eva with Godzilla, Anno got upstaged by Shinkai who is more than 10 years junior and, like Anno himself and many Gainax original staff, idolised the legendary Miyazaki.

I doubt that has much bearing on anything. The fact that Shin Godzilla was as successful as it was alone was a shock to not only Anno but Toho as well. Why do people seem to be under the impression that an anime production doing well is so disconcerting to other creators? It's like the people who said that Miyazaki was only announcing a proposal for his new film because of Your Name, because he didn't want Shinkai upstaging him or something. It's like, no, animation takes a really long time, and he'd been working on the concept for over a year at that point. Not everything is related to Your Name somehow all the time. I feel like this post is becoming unnecessarily salty.

I know that the Panty and Stocking announcement was from Gainax West, but I really am curious as to what it is, and, if it's a continuation of the anime, who the staff behind it will be (no Imaishi and crew means no sale for me).
mbanu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Kinda seems like a Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi moment for the Gainax president -- all the old staff are closing up shop and leaving, and the future is uncertain...
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
scchan wrote:
I guess this year was quite a shocker for Anno himself, just thinking himself having a biggest breakout since Eva with Godzilla, Anno got upstaged by Shinkai who is more than 10 years junior and, like Anno himself and many Gainax original staff, idolised the legendary Miyazaki.

I doubt that has much bearing on anything. The fact that Shin Godzilla was as successful as it was alone was a shock to not only Anno but Toho as well. Why do people seem to be under the impression that an anime production doing well is so disconcerting to other creators? It's like the people who said that Miyazaki was only announcing a proposal for his new film because of Your Name, because he didn't want Shinkai upstaging him or something. It's like, no, animation takes a really long time, and he'd been working on the concept for over a year at that point. Not everything is related to Your Name somehow all the time. I feel like this post is becoming unnecessarily salty.

I know that the Panty and Stocking announcement was from Gainax West, but I really am curious as to what it is, and, if it's a continuation of the anime, who the staff behind it will be (no Imaishi and crew means no sale for me).

I think my point is that after a string a success after Eva, Gainax had done little. If anything, the group split, and Anno himself after the break had not manage to advance much for his own good. I only put Shinkai in because Godzilla was actually quite popular; by ticket number it beaten any Eva films by wide margin, and manage to approach some of higher box office in Japanese films,well still some margin away from Ghibli films, Bayside Police, and Shinkai. Godzilla is the best box office film Anno had ever made.

If anything, Miyazaki attempted to unretire and don't say anything about Shinkai means the grumpy old man actually think Shinkai is pretty good (but I guess he still prefers to work with Anno over this new guy on the block).
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
Also if something I want to finish (no more new personal opinion after this one, but I will reply to people who reply):

Gainax, for a long time, is being held as one of the most prestigious and popular studios. At one time, it had gained enormous following. It produced some of the most famous TV series titles. I don't think anyone think it will end up like this - downsizing with high chance of going insolvent.

Hindsight is 20/20. I (or anyone) can argue that Gainax had done nothing and seal its own fate, so were followers of Japanese independent film that they always knew Shinkai knew what he was doing. In true, no one can really predict what may happen (the thing if you let many people guess, someone will get it right).

If there was one valid criticism about Anno was that Anno and Gainax folks had always made things that targets limited audiences. I will argue Kare Kano (not Eva) was probably the most accessible product they had made that will appeal to the non-anime fans (till Anno made Shin-Godzilla). You don't have to be an anime fan to enjoy Kare Kano, Ghilbi or Shinaki films. I just can't imagine any non-anime fans can get into Eva easily. Making things that appeal to broader audience help you gain following and necessary capital to maintain the quality work. This is 20 and 21st century, no money no talk, regrettably. Or if you run out of money, good bye (well unless you are someone like the Donald who managed to come back from going broke many times, but that's another story).
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Kinda hoping we can close the chapter on Gainax. Big fan of the Anno-era Gainax. But it seems a matter of time, now.

Maybe a few of the branch studios will survive, but what kind of surviving are they going for? Imagine if Ghibli survived just working on Commercials? I mean Shinkai worked on a ton of commercials for general audiences, but never stopped film making. The lesson is you can't give up trying for new projects funded by the other works. Yamaga is an organizer, not a leader.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Looking for a new job is generally difficult especially in a congested streets like Tokyo (I assume) so I don't think they should pack it home and call it a day, especially when they will be leaving with a whole ton worth of debt that needed payment. They had survived for such a long time too, and even if they are going down anyway, I'm sure am glad to see they aren't leaving without a fight or two. Even making an apology statement can be considered as a step toward feuding with what holding them back.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
In this situation, I could see Gainax turning to Western animation studios for help. Under this, each studio would be given a certain percentage of the revenue, including royalties.
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Gainax surely embarrassed Tsuda-san for Kare Kano including where Tsukino and Kano (Japanese and English VA) narrates summaries from the beginning and spoiling the next episode after the ending credits.

Well you know what I mean.

And also the warning reference from the Pokemon banned episode Electric Soldier Porygon reminding us to watch anime in a well-lit room and not sit too close to the screen. Really unnecessary.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Imagine if Ghibli survived just working on Commercials?

Even though that's exactly what they're doing right now, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2