• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai's Buu Saga to Air on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
Hell yeah. Absolutely hyped to finally watch the Buu Saga with a non-awful dub, messed-with script, and reduced filler/faster pacing. Hopefully the home video releases come fast.

Honestly, they don't cut that much filler/padding in the Buu arc of Kai, thus its less than sterling reputation. But I guess it'll still be faster than watching the original version.

Yeah, I actually watched the Japanese version (which actually has 5 episodes less than what we're getting) a while ago and am aware, hence the use of the word "reduced" compared to the Mach 10 speed the original Kai ran at.

Gonna miss those 4 ending themes in the Japanese version the most, though. I'm not really a fan of Don't Give Up, the ending, though Fight it Out, the opening we'll get, is pretty catchy.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
As much as I prefer DBZ Kai over Z (provided that I watch it with Bruce Faulconer's music), I like Vegito's arc in the original way more since we saw so much more of him, even if most of it was filler, but he was just so cool that I didn't care. That being said, it's about time DBZ Kai got dubbed. For a while I thought they were going to jump straight into Super without dubbing the Buu saga.

Just Saiyan.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess Kid Trunks is not listed because they want to protect Laura Bailey's status as she has become too big and mainstream?Dameon Clarke used to be credited under a fake name until recently but he doesn't seem to care anymore
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Dameon Clarke would only have a cameo and its possibly going to be archived audio, since the Pikkon arc is skipped and Cell's only appearance is a recap of the original kai series.

This also appears to have been recorded earlier because Colleen is voicing 18 instead of Meredith, even though Meredith is reprising her role in Super.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Is DBZ kai actually worth it? Im a huge DBZ fan but I never understood the appeal of Kai. I never botherd buying or watching it... Can anyone give me a reason why you should or shouldnt watch it? What makes it so diffrent than the original?

Saiyan-Cell (Episodes 1-98):
-A good amount of filler was cut (for better or worse).
-Had a decent remaster done by Q-Tec (who is infamous for bad Blu-ray upscales in Japan) with a few awkward redrawn scenes here and there.
-Was aired & released here in 4:3 (Japan aired and released the DVDs in 16:9 and only their BDs were in 4:3 which is what FUNi had used).
-Uses the DBZ music score thanks to the previous composer getting exposed as a plagiarist (years in the making).
-A good English dub.

Majin Buu (Episodes 99-167 (International)/99-159 (Japan))
-A lot of filler was kept (more was cut in the Japanese version but wasn't handled very well).
-Had a very poor remaster done in-house by Toei (the video has a green tint which is noticeable when compared with Z footage).
-Was aired and released in Japan in 16:9 (all international airings also had it in 16:9 as well as the French BDs from Kaze).
-Has music produced by Norihito Sumitomo who also worked on the recent movies & Super.
-Can't speak for the dub yet obviously but it should be good.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Dameon Clarke would only have a cameo and its possibly going to be archived audio, since the Pikkon arc is skipped and Cell's only appearance is a recap of the original kai series.

There's a filler left in at one of the final episodes where all the dead villains in the entire story are watching Goku fight Kid Buu from hell. Cell has several lines there.

Last edited by Hazinger Zeta on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
So a third of Toonami's already short airing block is purely DragonBall? *sigh* Well in fairness they could use the ratings and viewership so I won't complain. Thankfully I still got Gundum, Hunter x Hunter, and Jojo to look forward too. I want to see Toonami to do very well so hopefully they get great results form airing both DragonBall series. (Honestly I'd love for the original DB show the come. Not that it's possible but it would be amazing if the did).
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I was just about to go on the other article and start PMSing about Funi releasing Super and ignoring/skipping Kai. Good thing I didn't.

That all being said, apparently they barely removed any filler....that is disheartening. Just like the cell saga all over again. What's the point if they're just gonna keep all that crap?
ECW28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
So uh... The only listing for Trunks in the cast list is Eric Vale. Is he supposed to be playing Kid Trunks or is it just referring to a flashback of Future Trunks? (I mean, Cell and #16 are in the list too.)

I doubt he's voicing Kid Trunks, because if they decided he could play the young version of the character, they wouldn't have cast Alexis Tipton for Super. But there's no listing of either Tipton or Laura Bailey for the role of Trunks here...

Laura Bailey is listed as the voice for Kid Trunks on Funimations website.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/12/06/dragon-ball-z-kai-the-final-chapters-heading-to-toonami/
ECW28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I believe that the problem with the different voice actors between Buu Saga and Super, is that Buu Saga was dubbed a while ago, while Super is more recent. Thus, you get Laura Bailey voicing Kid Trunks in Buu Saga, while Alexis Tipton voices the same character in Super. Same thing with Android 18.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
^Yup, this dub actually goes back to 2013 and most of the main cast had "leaked" about having worked on it from back then to very recently.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Two timeslots?

At this rate Toonami will never get a new show...
ECW28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Two timeslots?

At this rate Toonami will never get a new show...

Gundam Unicorn is premiering the same night...
ECW28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^Yup, this dub actually goes back to 2013 and most of the main cast had "leaked" about having worked on it from back then to very recently.

Yeah, I remember seeing on Reddit someone mentioned Sean Schemmel said in an interview that he'd just finished recording his lines for the Buu Saga. I kinda figured they'd wait till the original finished it's run on Toonami, but never expected a Dragon Ball Power Hour. Hell, if Gundam and JoJo switched places, we'd have a Viz Triple Threat right now (not including the re-run of One Punch Man that is). They're gonna have to do something about the block being dominated by long runners and Funimation/Viz shows. I'd say a block extension is the only solution that wouldn't piss anyone off. I feel like that's why they're premiering it at 8PM, to test the waters a bit.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ECW28 wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
So uh... The only listing for Trunks in the cast list is Eric Vale. Is he supposed to be playing Kid Trunks or is it just referring to a flashback of Future Trunks? (I mean, Cell and #16 are in the list too.)

I doubt he's voicing Kid Trunks, because if they decided he could play the young version of the character, they wouldn't have cast Alexis Tipton for Super. But there's no listing of either Tipton or Laura Bailey for the role of Trunks here...

Laura Bailey is listed as the voice for Kid Trunks on Funimations website.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/12/06/dragon-ball-z-kai-the-final-chapters-heading-to-toonami/

Which makes me wonder if maybe Funimation has been waiting to get permission to go forward with this part of Kai, even though it was already recorded. Bailey was in the recent movies and games, but isn't coming back for Super, which is more or less a simuldub. It certainly wouldn't be the first time where they had a title that people kept asking about, and they had to keep silent on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3