Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon S Blu-Ray


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SkerllyF



Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 244
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.

And that´s why kids not all the time the "faithful adapations" work
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keichitsu0305





PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Death Busters/S arc is absolutely my favorite from the Sailor Moon series as well as the final Stars arc. Sailor Uranus/Haruka character remains one of my early anime crushes and the amount of character building for the Inner Senshi is one of the highlights of this season. Wonder why Viz keeps having these weird visual issues but, once the whole series has been released I'll still pick it up.
Back to top
Angel M Cazares
Subscriber



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4831
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the episodes in this set with the new dub; I hope the next part is released soon. And to me the visual quality from these (BD) discs is as lousy as the one from the first release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ryoukosan245



Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm seems like Viz is still having Issues with the video quality.

Any way I've been watching Sailor Moon in Japanese lately and the sub voices are superior to the dub in my opinion(especially Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi & Megumi Ogata as Haruka) ,but the dub voices are still fantastic nonetheless. I'll probably rewatch the entire show in english when I'm finished. Also Sailor Uranus is my second favorite character after Sailor Moon so that's partially what makes this my favorite season.

By the way I'm wondering how they handled the episode where they speak english, that seems like it's gonna be a hard episode to translate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryoukosan245



Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.

And that´s why kids not all the time the "faithful adapations" work


I haven't watched Sailor Moon Crystal yet ,but are you saying that the polarizing reception to the first 2 seasons had less to do with how Toei adapted it and more to do with what they were adapting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2500
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I enjoyed the episodes in this set with the new dub; I hope the next part is released soon. And to me the visual quality from these (BD) discs is as lousy as the one from the first release.


Also the DVDs...

Quality's the exact same as on Hulu only they fixed a frozen mouth problem in 1 episode that actually became a bigger issue in SuperS & Stars.

ryoukosan245 wrote:
By the way I'm wondering how they handled the episode where they speak English, that seems like it's gonna be a hard episode to translate.


Here's a clip from that episode.

The old Cloverway dub handled this episode better because they had those foreign characters speaking French in that version instead of English.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.
And that´s why kids not all the time the "faithful adapations" work


I haven't watched Sailor Moon Crystal yet ,but are you saying that the polarizing reception to the first 2 seasons had less to do with how Toei adapted it and more to do with what they were adapting?


No, think he's saying the opposite:
That the original SMS had "awesome characterization and plot" (which it does--R was still a little-girls' show, but S grew up)....
And that Toei's Crystal went in just with a sentimental 20th-anniversary wish to have the show back again, up-dumped the manga arcs, cut out all the earlier series' TV filler that made Usagi and her friends appealing, and in the end pretty much seemed like just a waste of time.
But hey, at least they were "closer to the original manga stories", for whatever that counts. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ryoukosan245



Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I enjoyed the episodes in this set with the new dub; I hope the next part is released soon. And to me the visual quality from these (BD) discs is as lousy as the one from the first release.


Also the DVDs...

Quality's the exact same as on Hulu only they fixed a frozen mouth problem in 1 episode that actually became a bigger issue in SuperS & Stars.

ryoukosan245 wrote:
By the way I'm wondering how they handled the episode where they speak English, that seems like it's gonna be a hard episode to translate.


Here's a clip from that episode.

The old Cloverway dub handled this episode better because they had those foreign characters speaking French in that version instead of English.


Huh, that's weird I wonder why they didn't change it to a different language, I get trying to be faithful ,but sometimes there are just some things that need to be changed for the sake of translation. Well I guess this is one of the only things the old dub did do right ,but that's not saying much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryoukosan245



Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.
And that´s why kids not all the time the "faithful adapations" work


I haven't watched Sailor Moon Crystal yet ,but are you saying that the polarizing reception to the first 2 seasons had less to do with how Toei adapted it and more to do with what they were adapting?


No, think he's saying the opposite:
That the original SMS had "awesome characterization and plot" (which it does--R was still a little-girls' show, but S grew up)....
And that Toei's Crystal went in just with a sentimental 20th-anniversary wish to have the show back again, up-dumped the manga arcs, cut out all the earlier series' TV filler that made Usagi and her friends appealing, and in the end pretty much seemed like just a waste of time.
But hey, at least they were "closer to the original manga stories", for whatever that counts. Rolling Eyes


That's what I meant when I said ''what they were adapting?'' ,I've heard from a lot of people that the 90's anime was an improvement over the manga ,so being more faithful to the manga didn't go over well with a lot of people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SkerllyF



Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 244
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.

And that´s why kids not all the time the "faithful adapations" work


I haven't watched Sailor Moon Crystal yet ,but are you saying that the polarizing reception to the first 2 seasons had less to do with how Toei adapted it and more to do with what they were adapting?


I say that people love so much their "faithful to manga" adaptations that they forget that:
1-Non canon and filler episodes can be as good aas the source material, making the hatred towards filler content nonsensical
2-The US has been working with more unfaithful adaptations and no one says anything
3-An unfaithful anime adaptation shouldn´t be controversial because of it.

I saw season 3 of Crystal up to episode 9, and I ask if I liked the show in the first place, because of how cliche as a magical girl show feels. While Sailor Moon S sounds like has more depth into it. I can easily think that the manga had little depth and the 90s series made it better. The situation of Crystal being released as a series with little depth where some magical girls shows had more depth feels like 2015, when the Specter movie came out and resulted dissapointing in a year with better spy flicks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1dbad



Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 615
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Viz revealed at a Moonlight Party that the random Japanese phrases like “gomen-ne” were a request from the original songwriter. She felt none of the English translations properly captured the feeling of the original word, and that leaving it untranslated wouldn't matter since "music transcends language". I disagree, but I understand Viz's hands being tied on the matter.

Awkward handling of the language barrier in 108 aside, I really enjoyed Viz's dub of S thus far. Only casting choice I'm not entirely sold on yet in Keith's Dr. Tomoe. He plays the character at a lot higher-pitch than his Japanese or CWi VAs, so I'm still getting used to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
TranceLimit174



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Posts: 882
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This is actually my least favorite season of Sailor Moon. It largely rehashes the plot of R, and since all of the new animation budget is reserved for the Outer Senshi, our Inner girls don't get to learn any new attacks for the season making the stock footage wear thin more so than usual. Uranus and Neptune are such huge fan favorites though, and since this is their intro season I think that's why so many love it as opposed to the overall quality of the season itself. But then again, I'm also in the minority in that I don't mind, and even enjoy some of the antics of Chibiusa. Most can't stand her, and her absence in this arc is another reason why fans are so fond of this stretch of episodes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
1dbad



Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 615
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
It largely rehashes the plot of R, and since all of the new animation budget is reserved for the Outer Senshi, our Inner girls don't get to learn any new attacks for the season making the stock footage wear thin more so than usual.

The odd thing is, it does seem new Inners attacks were planned. Mars Snake Fire, Jupiter Cocounut Cyclone, and Venus Wink-Chain Sword all appear in the opening theme.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
SailorNaruto



Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 194
Location: Illinois, USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty much an unspoken rule in the SM fandom that this is the best arc, and I agree with it lol. There's something about the Infinity arc of Sailor Moon that I just love. I think it's how dark it in comparison to the arcs before it (and the arc that follows it *cough SUPER S cough*). Whether it's the Manga, the 90s anime, or Crystal, the Infinity arc is easily the strongest. Or second strongest if you count stars.

SkerllyF wrote:
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.


I agree with this. Sailor Moon S is excellent, but I kind of favor the Crystal/Manga versions a little better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1899
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Interesting contrast:
-Sailor Moon S: Average animation but awesome characterization and good plot
-Sailor Moon Crystal 3rd Season: Above average(and a little bit stylish) animation, but little to no characterization.

And that´s why kids not all the time the "faithful adapations" work


In my humble opinion, the entire original manga was pretty weak with characterization. The original anime, with all it's faults, at least did a very good job with that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group