• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon S Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
@1dbad

I never knew that, I thought everything was just drawn digitally. I think it's something about the use of cels that make it more impressive to me...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
I disagree with such a low rating for the animation, unless it's just being judged on Viz's video quality. The final three seasons had some of the best animation, especially with Ikuko Ito at the helm. Some of my favorite cels and douga come from the sequences she animated, particularly in Episode 124 and 125. I realize that I'm speaking about an aspect that few on this forum understand because they don't collect production artwork, but I remain impressed.

There were a lot of fillers, though, that did have shoddy animation, even for the era. I've never been able to really judge the series on those episodes. They were on a tight schedule with limited staff, so some episodes suffered so that others would be fantastic. And it makes sense when your show is designed to sell merchandise to children - As long as that fantastic sequence of the character using that weapon is used, kids will be happy and want to buy.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
@Cutiebunny

Yeah, to be honest I'd give the animation here a B+ at least, maybe A- (about video quality, I'm not sure honestly, looking at Viz's version of the episode 93 group transformation, it looks better than Pioneer's, and I own some Pioneer Sailor Moon DVDs). The only time I think it didn't look as great as the rest would be with Ando's episodes (episodes 96 and 108 still looked pretty good albeit not amazing though), episode 127 was when his art started to go downhill, probably because it got rushed or something (and in episode 126 you can see they reused some shots probably because of budget, which I find a bit odd as here it doesn't feel nor like S had a low budget).

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I'm a little surprised that the weak villains weren't addressed--not the daemons themselves, but the Witches 5. Kaolinite gets a lot of characterization, as does Mimete, but the other three just kind of show up only to get bumped off.

Do you mean Eudial? Because Kaolinite wasn't a member of the Witches 5, and was one of the most boring villains in the entire series, coming just short of Jadeite.

After 50 episodes of Kaolinite standing around being useless, we got Eudial, who actually got shit done (she discovered the Outers identities, and if not for Mimete, would have actually taken that information back to the Death Busters), and even at times saw through the very anime tropes she was wading through.

Not having the characters speak a foreign language in that episode is a bizarre choice,

I'm anxious to hear what Professor Souichi Tomoe sounds like, Jeff Lumby did such an amazing job in the Cloverway dub, it'll be a hard act to follow.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Kaorinite, or Kaolinite, had a bit more of personality than Jadeite.

Eudial was probably the best of the Witches Five along with Mimette, though Mimette was a wuss, although she was able to actively fight and beat the Sailors (she got Sailors Mercury and Venus with her Charm Buster).

Tomoe in the Viz dub sounds really, really crazy, more crazy than the CWi version.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

I'm a little surprised that the weak villains weren't addressed--not the daemons themselves, but the Witches 5. Kaolinite gets a lot of characterization, as does Mimete, but the other three just kind of show up only to get bumped off.

Do you mean Eudial? Because Kaolinite wasn't a member of the Witches 5, and was one of the most boring villains in the entire series, coming just short of Jadeite.

After 50 episodes of Kaolinite standing around being useless
, we got Eudial, who actually got shit done (she discovered the Outers identities, and if not for Mimete, would have actually taken that information back to the Death Busters), and even at times saw through the very anime tropes she was wading through.

How dare you! Kaolinite was one of the best villains in my opinion. Crying or Very sad She's the only one to be resurrected and thus have her screentime extended a little bit more....when she was not killing Hotaru's goldfish and being a Faye Dunaway Mommie Dearest guardian to her.

I am curious as to how Tara Platt's portrayal is compared to Kristen Bishop. They can both do that sort of sultry voice, although originally I would have thought Cindy Robinson or Jennifer Seman would work as well.

I do wish they had gone through the plot with her being Tomoe's medical assistant/wife like they did in Crystal. (I just hate how after she is shown dying in the flashback....that's it. No resurrection. No nothing. Stuffed into the fridge)[/spoiler]
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
This arc is my absolute favorite and the dub sounds fantastic!
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Tara Platt's Kaolinite is great. I was worried she would sound similar to her Ikuko, but she managed to make the voice sound distinct. It's a bit more subdued compared to Kirsten Bishop's sultry take, but I think she makes up for it with a stronger performance.

I'm a HUGE Keith Silverstein fan, and I was honestly...taken aback by his Tomoe. He nails the laugh, but his take is a lot higher-pitched than I expected. But the performance itself is solid. A deeper and more sinister voice has crept out every so often too, so I think Keith still has potential in the part. It's just taking some getting used to after years of enjoying Jeff Lumby and Akira Kamiya's takes on the character.

Overall, I feel the dub is a huge step up from the Cloverway dub. Cloverway had a talented cast, but poor voice direction + rushed production resulted in the dub not being as good as it could have been. Now that we're past DiC's work on the series, I think fans will have an easier time warming up to the Viz cast.

Last edited by 1dbad on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
@wonderwomanhero

Just respect their opinion, I like Kaolinite and respect theirs. She was still cool, she'd basically carry out the missions for Tomoe, she froze Tuxedo Mask in Crystals, she even nearly killed Sailor Neptune in episode 98 also (and almost destroyed Ami's pure heart crystal, so she also nearly killed Ami), even if Michiru could swim, it's said hitting water from very high is like landing on asphalt. I didn't know she was a wife to Tomoe though, if she was, I wouldn't be surprised (there was also her being jealous with Vilyui and her being glad when that Witch was killed).

@1dbad

Yeah, Cloverway not only had poor directions, they had inconsistencies, Sailor Moon Uncensored said this about the dub here:

"Attack names would CONSTANTLY change back and forth, along with transformation phrases. Throughout the entire S season, Sparkling Wide Pressure was usually called "Sparkling Wide Pressure", but there were occasions that it was called "Jupiter Thunder Power" and "Supreme Thunder Crash". Venus's "Love-Me Chain" also got many names, fluctuating from "Venus Love Chain Encircle", to "Venus Love Chain Whip", "Venus Love Chain Harness", and sometimes just "Venus Love Chain". Important terms in the series were commonly referred to as different things. In the beginning, the daimons were referred to as "Heart Snatchers", "Heart Thieves", "Daimons", and countless other things. Kaolinite was constantly being called "Kaori" and "Kaori Knight" which had to have confused some people (it sure as hell confused me). The Sacred Cup was called the "Purity Force" and then later the "Purity Chalice", and I don't even think that I can name all the things that they called the "Messiah" early in the season before they decided on the term "Sovereign" more than halfway through the season. Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto's transformations constantly changed from "Star Power" to "Planet Power", and their attacks would sometimes have their planet name in front of it and sometimes not (I.E- Sometimes it would be "Uranus World Shaking" and sometimes just "World Shaking"), and let's not forget the infamous "Mini Prism Power". In the last few episodes, a "Transform" was added to Sailor Moon's transformation phrase for no apparent reason or explanation, and then suddenly removed in the last two episode, more than likely confusing fans. Look at the size of this list, and I'm not even getting into the inconsistencies WITHIN the actual dialogue!!"

Even I noticed how in one episode they called Venus' transformation as Venus "CRYSTAL" Power the first time I saw it!! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3