• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - What's My Name

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Thinking ahead to end-of-year Top 5 lists (as announced at the beginning of the episode), I think we're going to need a judgement call from ANN editorship on whether Lupin the 3rd, Part IV counts as 2016. It was broadcast in Italy in Fall 2015, but wasn't legally available here until Winter 2016, as a Crunchyroll simulcast. So I would argue it should be eligible for 2016, particularly since I don't think it was mentioned in the 2015 lists.

Also, it would easily make my own top 5 for 2016, possibly #1.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote

Pace our Italian friends, I would say those are ample grounds for inclusion!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pluvia33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Very nice to be able to see you guys during the show! I look forward to seeing it from now on.

I am curious though, is there a reason that "Bucharest" wasn't included in the YouTube version of the show? Is it maybe an issue with not having synchronization rights for the song yet? I missed hearing it so I actually listened to the first minute or so of the audio-only version of the episode. Which also made me wonder, the audio-only had an ad for the Right Stuf holiday sale, but that also wasn't included in the YouTube version. Just thought it was interesting. Hopefully you guys get into a better groove as you do more video shows and get Jacob a new mic soon!

On another note, I really feel like my wife and I are the only people who did not love Zootopia. It was okay, but not really great in our opinion. I do have a bit of an aversion towards anthropomorphic characters, but my wife doesn't have the same bias. Looking at it as objectively as I could, I didn't think the story was all that good. It was rather predictable and rarely touched me on any level. I'm not trying to say other people have weird taste, it just really missed the mark with us. We also apparently loved Finding Dory much more than most people.
NormanS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
In "From the New World" i was under the impression that there were homosexual couples at that certain age was also to curb unwanted pregnancies/births of more children so the society could control the amount of humans that could go out of control (Fiends or Demons) or have no powers/do not have the feedback, and a form of stress relief as well as altering society to "a bonobo" society .

One has to remember that the society as well as "the scientists" did everything they could to extend mankind as much as possible by controlling the population including installing suicide mechanisms are one of the many bits of information found throughout the series. When every PK-human has the power of a nuclear bomb, extreme measures have to be taken.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Thinking ahead to end-of-year Top 5 lists (as announced at the beginning of the episode), I think we're going to need a judgement call from ANN editorship on whether Lupin the 3rd, Part IV counts as 2016. It was broadcast in Italy in Fall 2015, but wasn't legally available here until Winter 2016, as a Crunchyroll simulcast. So I would argue it should be eligible for 2016, particularly since I don't think it was mentioned in the 2015 lists.

We're counting it for 2016. Smile
ly000001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was a way to work Zac's "Super Saiyan" quote into the U.S. posters of "Your Name." Laughing

BTW, was there a reason why ANN didn't do a review for the movie right after the Anime Expo premiere? I assume they had someone there in the press section.
Responder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Well, given it had no chances to be considered last year, it only makes sense. It would be my no. 1, were it not for the presence of Rakugo this year.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Garden of Words, and frankly I can see why it generated such a question from them concerning Shinkai's...interests. I'll have to see more to make any firm conclusion (I forgot I saw Place Promised before), but a surprisingly stronger maybe than I was expecting to give. I don't plan to report any further findings though, here or otherwise. And whatever else one thinks of it, a beautiful looking film. If Your Name looks anything like that or quite possibly better, and has a tightly scripted plot, it has easily earned its accolades.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2