• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Nominated for Golden Globes [2016-12-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
This headline is possibly incorrect. It is correct in the sense that no anime, in the traditional definition of "Japanese animation", is on the Oscar. However, going with the literal Japanese meaning of "animation" (a generic meaning), then there are some anime on the list.

And if the headline was in Japanese you might be right. But we're speaking English on a website called "Anime News Network". I think it's pretty clear which definition of "anime" we're using.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Didn't noticed the spectacular visual?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
This surprises no one. Of course nothing from Japan got nominated, when ignorant folks call it "some Chinese ******* thing". I'm sure voter #5 isn't the only bigoted idiot calling anime that either.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
What in God's name is "My Life as a Zucchini"?

Also, Sing's not even out yet! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
That's like expecting some Japanese being nominated person of the year in Time magazine.

Or better yet, non-English speaking music being nominated for the grammys.

Why do they post these news? I said before that I would rather have a translation of the Japanese film critic awards for animation.

Because they don't understand the concept of these awards.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Again, instead of posting irrelevant news why not give attention to cool stuff like the stuff that gets nominated in the Japanese Movie Critics Awards:

http://jmcao.org

They even have voice acting nominations there. Also, the Japanese Media's Arts festival features a lot of animation (including some non-Japanese nominations as well).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Didn't noticed the spectacular visual?
If animated movies should only be chosen based on how pretty they look, there's no hope for awards ceremonies. But all the Final Fantasy movies are fanservice for the gamers whose plots are completely incomprehensible to anyone else. Award ceremonies almost never pick franchise films other than rare occasions. Even the Harry Potter movies got passed over by the Oscars. You have highly unrealistic expectations if you think any award ceremony is going to pick what's essentially a glorified two hour commercial for a video game.

Quote:
Again, instead of posting irrelevant news why not give attention to cool stuff like the stuff that gets nominated in the Japanese Movie Critics Awards: [/code]
Why is it every week someone has to complain about what type of news ANN reports on? You know, no one makes you click on the article. In any case, I'm not sure why people think Your Name being blown over by an award ceremony isn't news.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
What in God's name is "My Life as a Zucchini"?

Also, Sing's not even out yet! Confused

I'll see both of those and raise you a "Why do we think the Golden Globes have ever HEARD of anime??"

Y'know, I go back a few more years, before the millennium, when we laughed the Golden Globes out of the room for being pointless, sycophantic and dopey--
So why do we now suddenly hang on every utterance, and eagerly await their nominations like the Oscars?...Because we're all really trying to predict the Oscars, have no idea anymore who will be nominated, and pretty much let the Dopey Awards and the Snooty Awards (ie. the NBOR/Critics' Choice) write all the nominations for us.

Since the Academy doesn't have time to think up their own nominations anymore since 2004, they have no idea what to nominate either, and just pick the eight nominees out of whichever one at least three awards agree on, and whichever one more than five agreed on was the default winner.
For the rest of us, it's become one big three-month-long Fantasy Baseball game: "Guys, they just announced the Critics Choice winners and the Globes nominations...It's DRAFT DAY! I got Jackie and La La Land on my team! Very Happy "
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
What, no Sausage Party nomination?

That's not a nominee, that's the Golden Globes' voting base!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
This of course came as a surprise to absolutely no one because Hollywood only cares about domestic releases and would never waste their time watching anything good. Rolling Eyes
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm not insinuating that the story is great because that's up to everyone's perception and opinion. All I'm saying is, it should at least win a spot in Best Visual or something, not like I know if there's any department like that. The CG for Final Fantasy XV movie and Final Fantasy VII is top notch, and it's hard to denied that.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Who cares about some American nominations and awards when we talk about Japanese anime. If is not a children's anime or a family friendly anime made by Studio Ghibli there almost no chance for it to be nominated.

The really important anime awards are "Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year", "Japan Media Arts Festival", "Tokyo Anime Award", "Animation Kobe Awards", "Anime Grand Prix" and "Seiyu Awards".

If anime fans want to know the best of the year just look for those.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
The Golden Globes are even more notorious for being paid out to decide the winner.

Notorious to whom? people who make unfounded and unproven theories?

Lord Oink wrote:
What, no Sausage Party nomination?

Between the fact that it isn't a family friendly film along with the behind scenes drama surrounding the film's production itself that's not actually a bad thing.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Again, instead of posting irrelevant news

Golden Globe nominations aren't irrelevant as they along with the Screen Actor's Guild awards are both tied to the Oscars. Works getting nominated for either award get considerable exposure (if they didn't already) if they get nominated or win.

Jose Cruz wrote:
why not give attention to cool stuff like the stuff that gets nominated in the Japanese Movie Critics Awards:

That most of the world and to a lesser extent most Americans won't care about equaling irrelevant?

If ANN wants to cover this they cover it either if some of it's members don't think they should cover things that don't agree with them.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I'm not disagreeing or anything but I guess the reasons why ANN staff wouldn't cover those events that you're mentioning because (I apologize if they have indeed covered the aforementioned materials before) this site is filled with english speakers from America? Being that the country is very well known worldwide and accolades from critics there actually meant a lot to the world, of course people would be more interested in seeing globally influenced award festivals giving away their prized trophies to something rather than watching some ceremonies that they know nothing about presenting gifts to things. Assumption, anyway.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
The Golden Globes are even more notorious for being paid out to decide the winner.

Notorious to whom? people who make unfounded and unproven theories?

Notorious to people who still laugh about Pia Zadora every time somebody says the G-words..
That was back when we didn't take them seriously, you see. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3