• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Series Discussion: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
My fave movie version is the Richard Chamberlain version. That had a stellar cast. As for decent Gonzo shows, I'm currently rewatching Samurai 7 which is awesome, and they also made Welcome to the NHK, and then there's Romeo x Juliet. I think when they adapted classics they did better than when they went original, or had to create an original ending.

The kiss? Not all love has to be sexual, and the second thing... French!
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I saw the show in an anime club last semester

I like the show and a person who loves the original book states that, while they took a more action and drama based route, there are still some elements of the revenge plot that are intact.

I love the show's coloring and lighting for creating mood, the Count's VA, Jouji Nakata, delivers a chilling performance and the tension is strong and pulpable within the show. I do wish that Albert was a bit less of an idiot but it's not enough to break my immersion of the show
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
My fave movie version is the Richard Chamberlain version. That had a stellar cast. As for decent Gonzo shows, I'm currently rewatching Samurai 7 which is awesome, and they also made Welcome to the NHK, and then there's Romeo x Juliet. I think when they adapted classics they did better than when they went original, or had to create an original ending.

They went original in all of their classics adaptations, though, and I think that with the exception of Gankutsuou I think they were all terrible.

Gankutsuou was at least true to the novel in spirit and in broad story strokes, but it had a whole lot of original material and a wholly original ending. Still, it was well thought out, and the derivations made sense and had a purpose.

Samurai 7 featured a completely original arc which had nothing to do with the movie, but was still a lot more interesting than the adaptation parts which were underwhelming, cartoonish and unworthy of the movie. And Romeo x Juliet had nothing to do with anything Shakespeare ever wrote, except for the "forbidden love" angle (that lasted for only a short while and then they elope and spend the rest of the story together) and the names (which were distributed without giving them any thought whatsoever, just for namedropping).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this episode, it was a great analysis and gave me plenty of stuff to mentally chew on. It almost makes me want to pull out my discs and watch it again. Its been years since I've seen it and I marathoned it at the time. The few things that stands out in my memory was that at the time I preferred the Japanese VA for the count. The English VA came off sounding more sinister to me while the Japanese sounded more charming and it felt more in character (?). I don't know how I would react seeing the show now, but Albert almost broke it for me at the time. It seemed that everyone gave him a pass because he was a nice fool, and it didn't seem to me like he grew until the very end. When I do decide to revisit it, and maybe at a more sedate pace, I'll make sure to have this podcast handy for reference! Smile
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
there's a difference between "lost love" and "my love, life, and everything I believe was stolen from me without remorse from a couple of giant criminals"...
How the fudge was he not justified? The only thing that didn't happen to him was those guys also shooting him in the back and crucifying him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2