• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: Saintia Shō Spinoff Manga Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
So it really is Toei as I expected. The first key visual is out, and it seems they went with a Araki/Himeno look for the characters instead of emulating Chimaki's art style. I'm very curious to find out who's doing the character designs, and my best guesses are Eisaku Inoue (who has expressed a desire to work on Saint Seiya again, as long as he could bring the "Araki style" back) and Keiichi Ichikawa (who did the character designs for the second year of Saint Seiya Omega, which were distinctly more Araki-like than the ones Yoshihiko Umakoshi did for the first year).

Curiously, Seiya's v1 Pegasus Cloth is drawn similar to how it looks in Kurumada's original manga (with a tiara instead of a helmet), but with the same color scheme as the TV series version. I suppose some diehard fans will take it as a sign that this series is not part of the TV series canon.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
So it really is Toei as I expected. The first key visual is out, and it seems they went with a Araki/Himeno look for the characters instead of emulating Chimaki's art style. I'm very curious to find out who's doing the character designs, and my best guesses are Eisaku Inoue (who has expressed a desire to work on Saint Seiya again, as long as he could bring the "Araki style" back) and Keiichi Ichikawa (who did the character designs for the second year of Saint Seiya Omega, which were distinctly more Araki-like than the ones Yoshihiko Umakoshi did for the first year).

It's so similar to the Araki/Himeno style that I'm almost feel that Michi Himeno was in fact brought on board; since it's a female-focused series, Himeno would be the lead designer this time around. It honestly would make the most sense, since Himeno is still alive & not too old at this point (she's 60 by now).

Anyway, either Inoue or Ichikawa would make sense, too, since both worked directly with Araki & Himeno on the last two seasons of Ring ni Kakero 1 (Inoue on Shadow, Ichikawa on Sekai Taikai-hen), making them the closest things to outright successors to Araki's drawing style. While I was fine with Hideyuki Motohashi's style for Soul of Gold (& I'm of the side that really enjoyed that show, even with its faults), it is neat to see that the iconic Araki/Himeno style may in fact still be doable after Shingo Araki's passing in 2011.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Himeno's faces usually look more delicate than the ones in this key visual, so I didn't think of her as a possibility, but having her as the character designer would be quite a coup for the show.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the series, but RIP Saint Seiya fans, Toei is handling this so don't expect much.
ew121

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
I haven't watched the series, but RIP Saint Seiya fans, Toei is handling this so don't expect much.

Toei has been handling Saint Seiya since the 80's so it's to nobody's surprise they're animating this after they said they had 3 SS projects going on, nobody's going to die, some people will complain but they'll watch it anyways. Anime are advertising for something and in this case that something is Myth Cloths and the particular manga to a small degree since everyone already knows the franchise. In fact other studio handling it means there's a high chance for it to bomb just like Lost Canvas did, albeit LC was also pretty shit.

Saint Seiya fans don't really care that much about Saintia Sho as it's a spin-off that borders the fanfic line, as long as it shows the original characters once in a while(which it does) and has some cool cloths to sell it won't fail, not even Omega and Soul of Gold failed.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Any new Saint Seiya is always welcomed, whether it's within the main timeline or a spinoff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a newcomer to the Saint Seiya franchise (only read the manga up until a certain point as I can't find it anywhere else online in English unless I bought it, and only up at the Cancer Temple in the anime), but this sounds awesome, hope it'll be really good!
Sergorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

Curiously, Seiya's v1 Pegasus Cloth is drawn similar to how it looks in Kurumada's original manga (with a tiara instead of a helmet), but with the same color scheme as the TV series version. I suppose some diehard fans will take it as a sign that this series is not part of the TV series canon.

As a matter they probably DID change Seiya's cloth to make it clear it's a different continuity. As Saintia Sho follows the continuity of the original Manga where Saori is aware from the start that she is Athena it might be hard to reconcile Saintia Sho with the original series.

-Sergorn
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I've got a feeling that this is going to bomb here the same as previous "Saint Seiyas" have. I seriously doubt that this is going to show up here. It may show up elsewhere but not in America. I'm sorry to say it but it's they truth.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
The first key visual is out

At least her arms do not have toothpick thickness, color me interested.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
@Snomaster1

There could be a 50% it won't but I do hope it could be successful in Japan or something (I wish there was a way Saint Seiya could be popular here more...)...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorry it took me so long to respond Sailor Sedna,but I think that there are ways to make "Saint Seiya" more popular in America. One possible way is to reboot the series to do it for a new audience that isn't as familiar with the show. Another possible idea is to do an American version of the show. I think that there could be a Greek-American character in there. There are a lot of Greeks who live in America and a lot of Americans of Greek decent. Much of the show revolves around Greek mythology,so it could work.
With this version,I don't know. Maybe someday,"Saint Seiya" might become popular here. You never know. It could happen. We'll just have to wait and see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2