• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Prince of Stride: Alternative BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I wish the series had more of the parkour. It promised so much and then kind of didn't do much. Hardly any of the characters did parkour stuff and when they did it wasn't always exciting or even animated too well.

Also that last minute twist was pretty generic and weirdly placed. So convenient and wrapped up super fast.

But it was a fun enough series. The characters were pretty memorable (or well, the two main teams were. The other characters kind of blur into one another other than the dude who was a massive jerk to Nana and Riku's brother). Ayumu was my favorite character and to be honest I was a bit emotional when he spoiler[hurt himself.]

Also, I'm not a frequent shipper, much less fujoshi shipper but I was totally having who-to-ship-with-who dilemmas.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
More interesting is the fact that the team's faculty sponsor, Mr. Don, speaks in Japanese at times. His character uses specific four-character idiomatic phrases, so rather than translate those into English, the dub simply has J. Michael Tatum use their original language. It's weird and can feel a little off-putting; presumably someone felt that the phrases had no good translation, and it's worth mentioning that in the sub these phrases receive special subtitles in both English and Japanese.

How interesting. I wonder how that ended up sounding. J. Michael Tatum spoke French in the English dub of Tokyo Ghoul as Tsukiyama and a friend of mine (who is an advanced French student) said his French speaking was terrible and quite difficult to make out (I don't know if I'm qualified to stand up for him, as I've only taken four years of it personally while she's taken eight). Does he speak better in Japanese?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
^ It...wasn't awesome. It was more understandable than his French, possibly because Japanese's linguistic requirements don't involve some of the more difficult French sounds, but my sister commented as we were watching that it sounded more Mandarin at times.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
^ It...wasn't awesome. It was more understandable than his French, possibly because Japanese's linguistic requirements don't involve some of the more difficult French sounds, but my sister commented as we were watching that it sounded more Mandarin at times.

Ah I gotcha. Thanks for the insight on that. French is tricky, so I'm not blaming him. What you said reminded me of when Brad Swaile was speaking pretty good Japanese in the English dub of Black Lagoon during one scene. It wasn't perfect, but it was good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1