• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Ghibli Staffers' Studio Ponoc Unveils Mary and the Witch's Flower Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
People who only search quality from movies will consequently find it only there.

Sure, but I don't think anybody here was even arguing that.

Quote:
For the record, I interpreted Rinkwolf's initial comment as "well this non-Ghibli movie looks like a Ghibli movie, so maybe there's hope that Ghibli will make some movies too once again some day."

I read Rinkwolf's comment as simply stating that this would hopefully signify more films with Ghibli's tone and aesthetic being released, rather than a return of official Ghibli films.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
There really is just something about the mere mention of Studio Ghibli (or even worse, Miyazaki) that sends the haters on this site into strange fits of apoplectic rage. I understand that what's appealing about Ghibli films is not at all the same thing that most otaku find appealing about anime in general, but how hard is it to understand that just because Ghibli is popular does not mean that people are somehow being hoodwinked into loving their films. Ghibli films are acclaimed and beloved world-wide for a reason. You're not somehow smarter or someone with more attuned tastes just because you aren't a fan.

Anyway, very excited about this film. I love Hiromasa Yonebashi (really enjoyed the atmosphere of both Arrietty and Marnie) and this really looks like a continuation of the direction the non-Miyazaki/Takahata Ghibli films were moving in. I'll still be cautiously optimistic, since not all films made by mostly Ghibli staff that have been touted as "in the spirit of Ghibli" have been masterpieces, but I'll certainly be seeing this opening day here in Japan.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
So are Ghibli films officially over and this is pretty much the future studio for their spiritual successors?
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
So are Ghibli films officially over and this is pretty much the future studio for their spiritual successors?

Ghibli itself is currently in a state of limbo - they may not be making any more films, but Miyazaki has recently talked about deciding he wants to create a new feature-length movie, so we'll have to see what happens. This does basically show that the majority of their staff have now moved on, though.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Jayhosh"]
ptj_tsubasa wrote:

Quote:
For the record, I interpreted Rinkwolf's initial comment as "well this non-Ghibli movie looks like a Ghibli movie, so maybe there's hope that Ghibli will make some movies too once again some day."

I read Rinkwolf's comment as simply stating that this would hopefully signify more films with Ghibli's tone and aesthetic being released, rather than a return of official Ghibli films.

What I meant is that we seem to have a new studio with the visual aesthetics of Ghibli that is being run by staff from Ghibli, so we can safely expect the what we new as Ghibli films to live on through this successor.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Sure, but I don't think anybody here was even arguing that.

I'll try to elaborate a bit.

If you take a look at all the numerous movie media articles and YouTube videos that have been made by people who don't usually watch anime and don't know that much about it concerning the topic "what makes Ghibli special", they tend to circle three main points:

1: The storytelling is really different from typical Western storytelling. Not every quiet moment needs to be filled with a joke. Nothing is morally black and white, and often there is no "bad guy" per se. Often the adversary can be summed up as "circumstances", or even "the weather".

2: The visuals are really different from typical Western animation. The animation is made in 2D instead of 3D ( or "hand-drawn", as they like to call it), and the backgrounds and objects such as food are given as much attention as the people. The characters act in a very naturalistic way where even small actions that have nothing to do with the story have been animated - such as brushing your hair, tapping your toes against the ground after putting on your shoes, and a little girl lifting her face up after taking a fried egg between her teeth.

3: There are spunky young female characters who have their own agenda and dreams.

I would argue that none of these things are unique to Ghibli, and can be found in myriads in numerous TV anime productions airing every season. But they might feel novel to someone who has only seen Ghibli movies, some Kon movies, and maybe Akira and Ghost in the Shell to top it off.

My point being: if you slap on the Ghibli character design style, surprisingly many anime could pass off as Ghibli. I'm 100% certain there will be many people who'll see this movie and have no idea it's not a Ghibli production. (Maybe it doesn't even take that - I recently witnessed people watching the trailer for The Boy and the Beast and thinking it was a new Ghibli movie.)

Rinkwolf wrote:
What I meant is that we seem to have a new studio with the visual aesthetics of Ghibli that is being run by staff from Ghibli, so we can safely expect the what we new as Ghibli films to live on through this successor.

Cool, my bad then.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
There really is just something about the mere mention of Studio Ghibli (or even worse, Miyazaki) that sends the haters on this site into strange fits of apoplectic rage.

So, never sat through Princess Mononoke or Howl's Moving Castle in a theater, gritting your teeth and pretending to like them, for the sake of mainstream-acceptance PR? Mad
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Arietty felt more like a Ghibli movie (for good or bad, ie., the heroine had to be Nausicaa-style determined, and talk about the changing worlds of man and nature, than Mary Norton's playful Arietty) than Princess Kaguya did.

Kaguya felt like just as much of a Ghibli film than any of Isao Takahata's other works did. There's more to the studio than just Miyazaki-style whimsy.

ptj_tsubasa wrote:
I would argue that none of these things are unique to Ghibli, and can be found in myriads in numerous TV anime productions airing every season. But they might feel novel to someone who has only seen Ghibli movies, some Kon movies, and maybe Akira and Ghost in the Shell to top it off.

Again, I don't really think that many people actually think that way. Besides, it comes down to far more than whether or not films attempt to do these things, it's the execution of these concepts that is far more important and likely a portion of the studio's large success with wide audiences. Especially when you trim the window down to solely animated theatrical films, as the audience who watches animated films aren't always the same people who often watch television shows, let alone anime series.[/u]
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
The look and feel of the film is very Studio Ghibli, even if it is a product of Studio Ponoc.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
By the looks of it,it seems that "Mary and the Witch's Flower" looks like a good film. I think it deserves a shot and to those who think it doesn't,I don't know what to say to you. All I hope for is that it gets brought here and dubbed into English. All in all,it looks like it might be good,so let's wait until the film's released and then we'll see. That trailer looks good. Let's hope the rest of it is as good as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2