• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime Series Premieres in Japan in Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Yen50414 wrote:
Darkest? First 3 YGO had actual character deaths. Arc-V tried to set all that up and failed to make it truly menacing. It was horribly written and half the characters don't make sense.

Zexal had death as well, and also the only series aside from DM and 5D's to have blood/gore, which ARC-V lacked. In addition, Zexal also had the most fanservice out of all of them.

ARC-V's first half was enjoyable, though I felt the second half went downhill a bit and fe!t rushed in some areas. I suppose Synchro getting so much focus compared to XYZ and Fusiin is due to the director. Personally, I rank it below GX and Zexal as far as spin-offs go, but it is still enjoyable. This new one reminds me of Vanguard in a way.

Tsumikisan wrote:
I wonder if we'll ever get a YGO anime with a female protagonist who has even weirder hair. Laughing

I imagine that's just as likely as a male protagonist Precure series. I'm reminded of this really awful The Mary Sue article on why YGO needs strong female heroes to attract more female viewers. I can only assume the writer had no idea what they were talking about considering the huge fujoshi audience Yu-Gi-Oh draws thanks to the male characters.

-Stuart Smith

The Mary Sue is a terrible website, just a hivemind of Shonen Jump Weekly on the same level as Tumblr. I wouldn't take their opinion on anything seriously if I were you, especially since their really uneducated.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Yen50414 wrote:
Darkest? First 3 YGO had actual character deaths. Arc-V tried to set all that up and failed to make it truly menacing. It was horribly written and half the characters don't make sense.

Zexal had death as well, and also the only series aside from DM and 5D's to have blood/gore, which ARC-V lacked. In addition, Zexal also had the most fanservice out of all of them.

ARC-V's first half was enjoyable, though I felt the second half went downhill a bit and fe!t rushed in some areas. I suppose Synchro getting so much focus compared to XYZ and Fusiin is due to the director. Personally, I rank it below GX and Zexal as far as spin-offs go, but it is still enjoyable. This new one reminds me of Vanguard in a way.

Tsumikisan wrote:
I wonder if we'll ever get a YGO anime with a female protagonist who has even weirder hair. Laughing

I imagine that's just as likely as a male protagonist Precure series. I'm reminded of this really awful The Mary Sue article on why YGO needs strong female heroes to attract more female viewers. I can only assume the writer had no idea what they were talking about considering the huge fujoshi audience Yu-Gi-Oh draws thanks to the male characters.

-Stuart Smith

The Mary Sue is a terrible website, just a hivemind of Social Justice Warrors on the same level as Tumblr. I wouldn't take their opinion on anything seriously if I were you, especially since their really uneducated.

Last edited by ryoukosan245 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
elior1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Yen50414 wrote:

Tsumikisan wrote:
a bit of more information has been revealed and this time it will be duals on hoverboards

-Stuart Smith

The Mary Sue is a terrible website, just a hivemind of Shonen Jump Weekly on the same level as Tumblr. I wouldn't take their opinion on anything seriously if I were you, especially since their really uneducated.
a bit of more information has been revealed and this time it will be duals on hoverboards
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
You can't play a childrens card game without some cotton candy hair
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Great, now there's going to be a manga adaptation and Viz is going to throw that in Jump because they think everyone still loves Yu-Gi-Oh.

Ugh.

Ugh. Don't remind me. I am sick of SJ wasting a slot in the magazine on fricking yugioh. I got so hyped when the previous yugioh manga ended. Thought we were getting something new but WHAM just another shitty yugioh spinoff.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
It's hard trying to blend in with the crowd if you're sporting a loud hairstyle. Perhaps if Yūsaku dyed his hair to a more run-of-the-mill color...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Ugh. Don't remind me. I am sick of SJ wasting a slot in the magazine on fricking yugioh. I got so hyped when the previous yugioh manga ended. Thought we were getting something new but WHAM just another shitty yugioh spinoff.

It's ironic complain about them wasting time on another Yu-Gi-Oh spinoff instead of something new, then when they do make something new and run it in the magazine piss all over it for being unoriginal or cliche.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:
Great, now there's going to be a manga adaptation and Viz is going to throw that in Jump because they think everyone still loves Yu-Gi-Oh.

Ugh.
Don't the mangas make it in the top seller lists in the NY Times though? That sounds like people still love it to me.

true enough and its main cash cow the TCG themselves are still the king of trading card games and it along as that remains, their is gonna be new "anime series" like this. unfortunately its gonna be massively edited and americanized to the eleventh power once it comes to US shores. which is why i recommend watching the WIXOSS series if you want an anime based TCG series that doesnt suck at all.

its pretty much under the pokemon syndrome where "it must remain kid friendly at all costs." and having another male character as the main which doesnt help. they should have made the main a girl which would have given some curiosity and interest to the new series. but alas. its another auto avoid at all cost scenario for the otaku community since its pretty much become the butt joke of the western industry no thanks to 4k media (which once upon a time was infamously known as 4kids) and konami who have a monopoly on its TCG counterpart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
which is why i recommend watching the WIXOSS series if you want an anime based TCG series that doesnt suck at all.

....CrunchyRoll is a thing you know if you want to watch Yu-Gi-Oh unedited.

jr240483 wrote:
its pretty much under the pokemon syndrome where "it must remain kid friendly at all costs."

The thing is though Yu-Gi-Oh much like Pokemon was designed with kids in mind. So it being "kid friendly" is kind of you know the point.

jr240483 wrote:
and having another male character as the main which doesnt help. they should have made the main a girl which would have given some curiosity and interest to the new series.

Yeah no one generally watches anime because of the gender of the characters it's how the characters are written that matters to most people.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

Ugh.

Why do you care, you probably read their stuff illegally anyway.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
true enough and its main cash cow the TCG themselves are still the king of trading card games and it along as that remains, their is gonna be new "anime series" like this. unfortunately its gonna be massively edited and americanized to the eleventh power once it comes to US shores. which is why i recommend watching the WIXOSS series if you want an anime based TCG series that doesnt suck at all.

its pretty much under the pokemon syndrome where "it must remain kid friendly at all costs." and having another male character as the main which doesnt help. they should have made the main a girl which would have given some curiosity and interest to the new series. but alas. its another auto avoid at all cost scenario for the otaku community since its pretty much become the butt joke of the western industry no thanks to 4k media (which once upon a time was infamously known as 4kids) and konami who have a monopoly on its TCG counterpart.

Why are you judging the franchise based on a dub? Just watch the fansub and ignore the awful American version. Or watch the dub if you want to see a comedy and laugh at all the bad censoring. Either way, judge it on the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4