• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masashi Kishimoto is Involved in Production on Lionsgate, Michael Gracey's Naruto Hollywood Fi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
How is it that this gets streamlined, but we don't get a theatrical release of an almost surefire adaption like Death Note.

I can only hope now that the Tiger & Bunny adaption saves us all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
OMFG WHY DID THIS HAVE TO BE REAL!!! IF they gonna do it then they better use the people who are doing the STAGE PLAY

Heck no! We're trying to avoid another Dragon Ball Evolution, not repeat it. Let's keep the adults playing kids out of this movie and go with actual 12 year olds.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Whirlpool, Ninja Warrior and Cherry Blossom are going to totally party down in the Village of the Mist until the exiled lord of the Leaf "Azubaz" and his plucky slamdancer Ukah aim to thwart the trios year end danceparty with a move they wish they had never seen.

Like a train that self derails, this thing writes itself.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
So Kishimoto himself is now confirming that Lionsgate's live action Naruto movie is in development and that he's already getting himself involved and that he's also doing some pre-production work on it? Sounds interesting that he would get himself involved here but with the Naruto Shippudden anime about to end soon in a few months with Boruto replacing it immediately, Naruto fans will have plenty to sink their teeth into for the next long while.

Anyways, I wonder if Kishimoto will want to be like Rowling and want to have some more control over seeing the script and approve the changes necessary because as much as we can all debate about whether or not the final story is good or not, Kishimoto should realize that what worked in the manga and anime may not translate to live action and sometimes changes are necessary in order to streamline the story.

If the film is actually moving forward and not staying in development hell, it's going to be pretty interesting to see who's going to be cast and what changes will have to be made and quite frankly, for the first film, it definitely needs to adapt the Zabuza arc first because that would make a perfect stand alone first film as it establishes everything of what this world is all about and establish the important characters and their dynamics with each other.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
Plus it happens in a fictionnal world, very loosely based on class of people from japanese history. The only thing important is the ninja thing, so ethnicitiy don't matter at all.

.... you know ninjas are Japanese, right? Having a bunch of white and black people running around in ninja outfits is dumb. I can't take it seriously when they adapt a ninja/samurai themed sentai and have non Asians Power Rangers in ninja and samurai outfits. It's just stupid to me. Everyone in Naruto is Asian, aside from maybe some minor filler character in Part 1.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

.... you know ninjas are Japanese, right?

And?

Lord Oink wrote:
Having a bunch of white and black people running around in ninja outfits is dumb.

You must hate Killer B, A, Darui, & Cee if that's the case.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Ok, so this movie needs at least one Kosugi in a bit role, decent effects...and a completely rewritten ending.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I can only hope now that the Tiger & Bunny adaption saves us all.

No thanks. I refuse to have Michael Pena and Evan Peters running around Neo-Tokyo with their superpowers.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
While the series uses Japanese names, it is not exactly set in Japan. As such, the series using Western and Eastern elements might justify using a mostly white (presumably) cast for the main characters.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And?

Trying to argue Naruto as anything but Japanese is gasping at straws. If Bravely Default gets gutted for having non-Native Americans dressing as Natives, then people better hold this to the same degree of their devious "cultural appropriation"

Quote:
You must hate Killer B, A, Darui, & Cee if that's the case.

Dark skinned Japanese people =/= black. Probably the biggest misconception Americans make besides people thinking anime characters are white, despite the fact anime clearly draw white and black people a certain way that differs from other characters.

Kadmos1 wrote:
While the series uses Japanese names, it is not exactly set in Japan. As such, the series using Western and Eastern elements might justify using a mostly white (presumably) cast for the main characters.

People say that even when the story takes place in Japan like Death Note and GITS. There is literally no series people wont say that about.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Trailers for the first two movies have been already leaked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTEyQID-9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daguz0fapHg
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Trying to argue Naruto as anything but Japanese is gasping at straws.

No trying to whine about the producers putting non Asian characters in the roles of characters that were originally Asian is pointless, even if you don't think they should change this the reality of the situation is that going to do this even if people complain about as being "whitewashing".

Lord Oink wrote:
If Bravely Default gets gutted for having non-Native Americans dressing as Natives,

Bravely Second wasn't criticized for this it was criticized for changing the outfit that had the characters dressing up as Native Americans. Along with a number of other questionable changes to the American/European version of the game.

Lord Oink wrote:
then people better hold this to the same degree of their devious "cultural appropriation"

....having Ninjas being played by non Japanese people isn't "cultural appropriation". That's like arguing having a Buddhist monk being played by a white person.....eventhough their are white Buddhists.

Lord Oink wrote:
Dark skinned Japanese people =/= black.

You do know you can have Japanese blood in and appearance wise not look Asian whatsoever. The point is if you're taking issue with Blacks and Whites playing Ninjas in media, you must really don't like those characters I mentioned three of whom don't look remotely asian. Even Naruto himself isn't Asian looking.

Lord Oink wrote:
Americans make besides people thinking anime characters are white,

They wouldn't make this supposed misconception if most anime characters actually looked more Asian, I can count on one hand the number of mangas and anime I've seen where the entirety of the cast actually looks remotely asian. Naruto isn't one of these series.

Lord Oink wrote:
despite the fact anime clearly draw white and black people a certain way that differs from other characters.

Yes and this sometimes be considered stereotypical particularly where blacks are concerned.

Lord Oink wrote:
People say that even when the story takes place in Japan like Death Note

The adaptation of Death Note running on Netflix isn't set in Japan....and given the fact that Japan has made a handful of live action adaptations that are set there having it's adaptation follow suit would be redundant.

Lord Oink wrote:
and GITS.

GITS has a bit of wiggle room particuarly where it's main character is concerned.

Lord Oink wrote:
There is literally no series people wont say that about.

Because the reality of the situation is that not all of these series are set in Japan let alone have the country as one of the locations the characters visit.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Black Turtle wrote:
Plus it happens in a fictionnal world, very loosely based on class of people from japanese history. The only thing important is the ninja thing, so ethnicitiy don't matter at all.

.... you know ninjas are Japanese, right? Having a bunch of white and black people running around in ninja outfits is dumb. I can't take it seriously when they adapt a ninja/samurai themed sentai and have non Asians Power Rangers in ninja and samurai outfits. It's just stupid to me. Everyone in Naruto is Asian, aside from maybe some minor filler character in Part 1.

My point was more : It's so loosely based on ninja that it's just some type of martial art. In a imaginary world, and with only a faint inspiration, having non asian is not that bad. If it was something fantastic incrusted in real world (like HP, since we already refered to it), I would totally follow you. But there, they have just from the ninja the overall look. They're as much Ninjas as OP main characters are pirates... the concept has been modified so much, that considering they have to be asian to be ninja is stupid. Ninja in Naruto have more in common with Power Rangers than real ninjas.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
.... you know ninjas are Japanese, right?

Are ninja Japanese? I mean, the characters in Naruto call themselves ninja, but Japan doesn't exist in the world of Naruto so apparently not. For that matter in this world ninja is just a catchall for any number martial art and occupation, to say nothing of the ninja monsters, demons, and aliens. Even a kid that's basically Bruce Lee with no ninja abilities is still a ninja. That's just the way their world works and their world isn't our world.

Diversity will work in this movie, I just hope they don't pull a Last Airbender and try to make every village in the series an approximation of a real world nationality. If they try to make Gaara Middle Eastern just because he lives in the desert and fights with sand there's going to be trouble.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wii800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Deoxy360 wrote:
At least Kishimoto is involved in some way. Hopefully he has some creative input or knows what works in a Hollywood movie and what doesn't.

He's not going to have the creative control that you think he's going to have. Hollywood is notorious in not listening to the original creators and getting their input. Even JK Rowling had to pull some strings with the Harry Potter movies and being approached by the actors to get better insight into the characters and the settings.

And Hollywood still yet to properly grasp the shonen genre. Which in this case them cast is going to be a bunch of obnoxious teenagers with magical powers that surely isn't going to attract a big box office grab like Transformers. Not to mention there surely is going to be a major fuss over whitewashing.

My best prediction this movie will make $88 to $100 million domestically and $134 -$200 million worldwide, where the setting will be a dirty version of Naruto where the first 20-30 minutes will be the history, then you have the training arc, where the final villian will likely be Zabuza and Haku.

i totally agree with you but the biggest question will be, is how many times the naruto actor will say "Believe It" if its not at least 20- 50 times this movie will already trash Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4