• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release Gatchaman II Anime on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Great news! I got the original on the Right Stuf holiday sale last year and was surprised by how much I ended up enjoying it. Ever since, I've been hoping that the sequels would also get released.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:

1. Gatchaman
2. Gatchaman OVA
3. Time Bokan Royal Revival
4. Casshan
5. Gatchaman: The Movie
6. Gatchaman II

This potentially leaves a minimum of five titles still potentially remaining - total speculation of course, since, aside from the orignal Gatchaman and Casshan, Sentai never publicly revealed the identities of the titles that were part of the 2013 deal.

There was also Urashiman, which so far has been made available via streaming over at The Anime Network (& a short half-show stint over at Hulu), & translator Neil Nadelman did name another title he had worked on for Sentai that was never officially announced. That would put the Tatsunoko deal at eight titles now, & I'm sure Gatchaman Fighter will be coming as well, so let's just put it at nine.

Therefore, there should only be two more titles left for Sentai to bring over (okay, three if you want to include the unannounced but translated anime). Since this deal was announced when Anime Sols was still a thing I'm going to guess that Polymar & Tekkaman are off the table, so I'm just going to go with my own personal wishes & hope that the last two are Tenku Senki Shurato & either Gold Lightan or the 90s Mach GoGoGo (if only to act as a half-hearted "take that!" to FUNimation's upcoming OG Speed Racer release).
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
^Maybe one of them is Tekkaman Blade? We know that the English dub has been OOP since 2013 so Media Blasters might not have the show anymore, especially since it never got the DVD-R reprint treatment that most of their older titles had recently. There's also the fact that the show had a Blu-ray release back in January in Japan and that Discotek was able to get those masters for their Blu-ray of II which was released back in September.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Geo: Discotek was able to pick up Dororo from Anime Sols. So that's not really the issue. Polymar didn't make its goal, even though fans claimed they would buy it. So why would anyone rescue it, knowing that's what could happen to them next? The only Polymar we've gotten so far has been the OAV. But I guess if Sentai still wanted to test the waters, they could get the rights to the upcoming live-action film. And the 90's Tekkaman is enough of a hard sell. So I doubt anyone's gonna go to the trouble of bringing over the 80's variant. Anyway, if you look at my previous comment, you'll see which ones have the best chance of coming over here.
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Just saw this skimming through the TRSI preorders - it's a damn shame about the lack of dub (I love the first series dub - it felt right as few anime dubs do) and I'd much prefer Blu over DVD. Ah well - perhaps next time they have a Sentai sale and that month hasn't been too brutal for other buys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2