• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:
The worst of those I didn't even bother to pick up is likely Wixoss because, distilled to its essence, it is a 20-minute commercial.

I think you'd be surprised by how little effort the Wixoss shows have spent on trying to get their audience to buy the tie-in card game. In fact, one of the characters this season actually decided that spoiler[committing suicide] was preferable to playing Wixoss.

I watched the first and a good chunk of the second season. I have no clue how to play the game or how any of it works. Its more like a glorified Product Placement rather than a real commercial.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Bloodivores is the worse and Bloodivores is more watchable than Reikenzan?

I...respect your opinion.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it feels weird to see other people say they thought this season was strong. It was the dullest one in a long time for me. The only thing I stuck with the entire season was JoJo. I can acknowledge that YoI was a quality production, but it didn't appeal to me... but that's about it. I watched about halfway into FlipFlappers, Izetta, and Girlish Number, and I lost the motivation to continue with any of them.

Bring on the next season so we can forget about this one, I say.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Best anime:
Keijo!!!!!!!! and Magical Girl Raising Project
2 complete different shows that got may attention for complete different reasons.

Keijo was stupid fun to watch and Raising project was a dark anime that was so absorbing i couldn't wait for the next episode.

Flip Flappers and Izetta: The Last Witch were entertaining enough to keep watch until the end.

Worse anime:
I hate call any anime worse because there were loots of people involved in the project, from authors, Seiyu, animators and director and others and im sure they do their best, but for some reason or another the anime didn't catch my attention and i dropped it. So i call it "The ones i dropped".
This season was ... none. Wink
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Best for me: Flip Flappers and Gundam S2

Runner-up: Yuri on Ice and Magical Girl Raising Project

Middle of the pack: Izetta: the Last Witch

Show I wanted to watch and didn't: Keijo!!!!!!!!!

Shows I dropped: March comes in like a Lion, ClassicaLoid, Matoi the Sacred Slayer, Drifters, and Girlish Number.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Since everyone thinks Yuri!!! on Ice handled the gay romance so well, how come they don'tt put that much effort into straight romance anime?
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Top Tier:

Eupho
Keijo
Jojo
IBO
Flip Flappers...O

Middle Tier:

Killing Girls
Witching Girl
Witching Girls
Flaming Girls

Bottom Tier:

Not Working
Drift Far Away
To Be Lame
cutslo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Best: Flip Flappers

The beginning is fantastic and I think the endgame, while not quite as strong, is still pretty good and does nothing to invalidate anything that happened before either.

Runner-Up: Fune wo Amu

It's a nice, small-scale character show that has something to say. What keeps it from being truly great is that it goes ridiculously overboard with its main metaphor and various other visual metaphors as well, as if they don't trust the things that actually matter to keep the viewer's interest. You metaphor isn't that great to begin with, Fune wo Amu, no matter how proud of it you are.

Special award for Puzzling Mediocrity: Yuri on Ice

It's okay, but I really just don't get the praise. I watched it for the romance, and the romance is solid but not really outstanding apart from being gay. And that's saying nothing about the tensionless and clumsy sports show about random people I don't care about that takes up more than half of it.

Worst: Occultic;Nine
Yeah I watched Izetta, and Izetta sure is bad. But I'd take the opposite stance of Jacob here: O;9 is some sort of passion project that spends a lot of effort on being as annoying as possible, which leaves everything it does do well as a tragic waste. To me that's much worse than just a badly written action show with dumb priorities.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Best of the season is without a doubt: Yuuri!!! On Ice. No sports anime will even come close to touching this one. The love story was beautiful, the characters are all interesting in their own way, the animation could be gorgeous at times. Honestly, I have no complaints at all. Viktor and Yuuri will forever be one of my favorite couples now from an anime. Easily a 10/10 anime for me.

As for a runner up? Difficult for me to decide. I liked some other anime the season (Haikyuu!!, Flip Flappers, Gakuen Handsome, and Touken Ranbu), but I didn't really enjoy them to like an obscene amount. I dunno if it counts, but JJBA: Part 4 was probably the anime I enjoyed the most second to YOI. There is something about JJBA that just makes it so insanely fun.

Worst of the season: Easily, Magic-Kyun! Renaissance. Couldn't even finish it it was such a bore. Scorching Ping Pong Girls I dropped too. They had fun starts, but they were dwarfed by all the good stuff that was airing, so instead of wasting my time every week watching an episode of them I dropped them.

All in all, this was a good season for me. I had quite a few cute boy shows to tide me over. I doubt we'll have a season this good in a long while!
OtakuV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Yuri on Ice was pretty much the clean sweeper for the Fall, just as Mob Psycho 100 was for the Summer.

As for me:

Best of the Season: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (I really felt the humor grew even stronger in the second half and all the characters they brought in for the second half added their own comedic touches to the show that were just enjoyable.

Runner-Up: Keijo!!!! (All I will say is that the show seemed like it would be trashy fan service material, but out of all the series I watched this entire year, Keijo!!!! was easily the one that surprised me the most!!!!

Worst of the Season: Long Riders ( If you were hoping this would be the female Yowamushi Pedal, than I'll I can say is that if you haven't seen it, it's best you wait for the third season of Yowamushi Pedal in the Winter Season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah If I were to pick a best short of the season, Saiki would be it. My favorite of the new characters was the Tsundere Grandpa.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
For me I would have to say;

Best - Yuri!!! on Ice

Runner-up - Haikyu!! S3

Worst - Bloodivores

Probably the first time ever that 2 sports anime have been 1 and 2 for the season for me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, it comes as rather unexpected to me, but the Flip Flappers x Euphonium 2 duo seems to be rather popular here. If I left out 3gatsu, because of it's continued run, that would more or less be mine as well, but 3gatsu is good enough at this point that I don't mind giving it the top spot for this season and next season. I get that such a depressing show is likely not going to work for everyone, especially if you are depressed, but I guess seeing and sympathizing with other depressed people helps with my depression. It's been an incredibly rough few months, but sitting down for an episode of 3gatsu every chance I get is about as cathartic an experience as I could ever imagine. I'm only amazed this thing is airing when it is in Japan.
Anyway, this was one hell of a strong season. Yuri One Ice, Girlish Number, Haikyu, Bungou and IBO were all quite entertaining and generally very good in addition to what I've already mentioned. And then there are things like Ping Pong Girls. I've only seen the first 4 episodes so far, and only started it yesterday because of the sweet sakuga highlights that I keep seeing posted on sakugabooru, but it is a lot of fun as well. I don't really get the "it's unsure what it wants to be" complaint though, because it seems rather obvious what it is. It's just straight up a moe sports show with some really inventive and clever direction and some stand out animation. If that's your thing, you'll probably like it. I do.

Valhern wrote:
I'm going to be the sole idiot here to defend my dear Ping Pong Girls. I won't break any grounds saying that it wasn't exceedingly good, but I don't think it was undecisive or bland. Even if it was very simple, from the get-go the theme of the show is "Love for Ping Pong", and that's what you should get from Tsumujikaze in the first episode; the good thing is that they hammer it very well with all the characters, and most of them show a different way of loving the sport, the bad thing is that it stops there, and outside of my girl Hokuto we don't particularly learn anything outside of the Ping Pong life of these girls, making most of the scenes where a match isn't being played quite a bit boring. However, when a match is on, boy is it on, I love the dynamic of the matches, the pacing feels tight, and when the animation sparks, it really does. This is one of my favorite cuts in the year.

You no longer are. I might not like it as much when it is over if it indeed has no more development for any of the characters, but I'm digging it right now. That first one you linked is easily my favorite cut from the show that I've seen. Just wonderfully intense and dynamic animation. I love how consistently they use background animation of the board to move the camera with the ball during volleys. It's technically a short cut, and not that intensive animation, but it looks great. This show is a great example of how to use minimal resources to great effect. No surprised that it's Yasuhiro Irie, the guy who directed freaking Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:
the best brave witches
runner up magical girl rising
worst drifters

I know this is your opinion, but you must really hate action shows to rate drifters as the worst

My favorites this year, in order, are:
#1) Drifters, which was consistently entertaining week by week, unlike Izetta and Flip Flappers which had a drop-off in the last 3 to 6 episodes.
#2) WWW.Wagnaria/WWW.Working, Again, it was something I consistently looked forward to, and I'm a big fan of the original as well
#3) Sound Euphonium 2, that production value!, got to love KyoAni (In other news, We Finally get a Legal physical release of Nichijou in the US this February!!!!!)
#4) Days, a sports anime that is about a sport I like, and doesn't feel like it's trying to ship character pairings
#5) Mobile Suit Gundam: IBO, I need my daily mecha intake
Worst (That I watched): I guess it would have to be one of the 2 I dropped, Nanbaka or Nazotokine

Note that I didn't watch Yuri On Ice, Keijo!!!!!!, Haikyu 3, or Magical Girl Raising project.

I feel like a lot of the sad or depressing shows had the worst chance due to having real-life depressing events (2016 US Elections)... I'm not going to watch something depressing when I'm already feeling that way.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Pretty surprised that 3-Gatsu hasn't been mentioned once in this article, i thought that it would be at minimum a runner-up for a reviewer in this..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8