• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus Reveals 'Project Re Fantasy: A Fool's Journey Begins' Fantasy RPG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
So the announcement of an announcement was just promoting some concept art? I should have known that Atlus wouldn't show anything substantial from a new project while Persona 5 is still in its cycle.

At least the concept art is pleasing. I hope Project Re Fantasy isn't another generic JRPG. Atlus should be better than that.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
So the announcement of an announcement was just promoting some concept art?

They said within a day of announcing this title that they would begin hiring for it after the stream; it was pretty clear we weren't getting anything substantial here.

Gasero wrote:
I hope Project Re Fantasy isn't another generic JRPG. Atlus should be better than that.

Yeah, it would suck if Hashino became the Japanese equivalent of Peter Molyneaux. Only time will tell.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
So the announcement of an announcement was just promoting some concept art? I should have known that Atlus wouldn't show anything substantial from a new project while Persona 5 is still in its cycle.

At least the concept art is pleasing. I hope Project Re Fantasy isn't another generic JRPG. Atlus should be better than that.

Id rather a generic jrpg then this constant attempt to appease the west losing the core elements of the genre in the process.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the contrails in that sky image were deliberate, or if someone just didn't realize what it implies...
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Not much actually shown, but the staff already sounds promising. I'm a huge SMT fan (and of Atlus in general), so I'm sure I'll buy it.

Gasero wrote:

I read a recent interview where it was said Atlus was planning on "challenging what modern day JRPGs have become", so I doubt it will be.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

I read a recent interview where it was said Atlus was planning on "challenging what modern day JRPGs have become", so I doubt it will be.[/quote]

Well, that's the problem--
Does Atlus mean that "modern-day JRPG's have become" too epic, unfocused and anti-intuitive gaming, like the stuff that's come out of Square in the last eight years, and wants to get back to the roots of a good old-fashioned turn and strategy-based Persona/SMT game again?

Or...that they're still stuck in Japanese stereotypes of SNES games, and they want to "challenge" their own industry demons with more crazy self-indulgence, and just end up being part of the problem rather than the solution?
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Please let it be on PC once the game is done, that's all I want!
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I read a recent interview where it was said Atlus was planning on "challenging what modern day JRPGs have become", so I doubt it will be.

That's not what I've gotten from the info they've put out.

Quote:
What is the next concept to tackle and address in RPGs? To challenge the norms naturally consumed by gamers for decades.

Quote:
Until now, since the time fantasy went mainstream, Atlus has dared to create series set in contemporary times and cherished its stance of aiming to counter the typical. The series works from Persona 3 an onwards are the exact products of such thought. I had always held the thought that I someday want to challenge the traditional genre and deliver a title uniquely Atlus.

This sounds less like "challenging what JRPGs have become," and more like "challenging gamers' very idea of what a high fantasy RPG is/can be."

And as I wrote this, I remembered that Atlus USA actually made a statement about this game.
Quote:
For the game itself, though not much information is available as it is in the earliest of stages of development. But a few things are apparent from the outset – it will be a complete departure from the SMT and Persona series, and a return to the roots of where the Japanese games industry began with fantasy role-playing games. However, as ATLUS has always challenged the prevailing styles of RPG design, it is at the core of Studio Zero’s mission to do this again, imbuing the traditional fantasy RPG with a distinctively ATLUS flavor.

Take from that what you will, I guess.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
By challenging what they've become, I was referring more to the setting/time period than I was the gameplay itself. (from the quotes DRWii mentioned)

It's kind of funny that Atlus is planning on going for a more old-school setting for their upcoming game. That's certainly a change of pace from the more contemporary offerings of series like Persona, but it's not exactly new either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1