• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2016

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Awww, no love for Yuri on Ice!!'s episode 10 spoiler[plot twist where it turned out that a drunken Yuri went on a champagne bender, stripped naked, and asked Victor to be his coach a year ago?]

That's probably the first time a plot twist let me completely flabbergasted, and it completely changed many emotional beats in all of the episodes before it. That was quite a bit of shenanigans right there.

It was my pick, which got added in an hour or two after the list went up this morning (I was still asleep and forgot to e-mail it), but it's in the list now at least? Razz
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Wingbeats wrote:
Awww, no love for Yuri on Ice!!'s episode 10 spoiler[plot twist where it turned out that a drunken Yuri went on a champagne bender, stripped naked, and asked Victor to be his coach a year ago?]

That's probably the first time a plot twist let me completely flabbergasted, and it completely changed many emotional beats in all of the episodes before it. That was quite a bit of shenanigans right there.

Agreed, I was surprised not to see it here, considering it basically changed everything in how we perceived the main couple's dynamics. It seemed a lot of the choices here weren't really plot-twists per sé but just memorable moments. Plot twists are supposed to be game-changers within the narrative, but I'd hesitate to say "Aquors decide to do their own thing" is a game-changer as much as it is an expected outcome for the kind of show that was.

Yuri!!'s plot twist was Jacob's pick, right? Or has it been edited before I posted?

Edit: Oops... Didn't see the post right above me. Anime hyper
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Come on guys, let's be nice here.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
For the record, Yuri!!! on Ice's episode 10 plot twist was one of my favorites, too. I wanted to use my pick to highlight one I thought was less appreciated, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait, was the idea of the forum to post our own top 5s, or for personal attacks on the reviewers? Because I've got no damn use for the latter. And I'd rather talk about Eupho and Love Live.

Last edited by invalidname on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I would like to issue a statement.

If, following the conclusion of this week's Best of 2016 articles, not a single critic has included Your Name in their respective list, I shall personally tweet Christopher Macdonald a picture of a disgruntled duck as a gesture of distain. Surely such a film is eligible!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
^If I had to bet, I'd say that won't be an issue. If I had to guess I'd say Zac will since a) he's nominated movies before and b) I don't know he would have enough for a list without it. I don't know how many of the reviewers aside from Zac and Jacob have seen it given the current run has focused on an Oscar run in New York and California.

Also hear, hear @invalidname

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
If, following the conclusion of this week's Best of 2016 articles, not a single critic has included Your Name in their respective list, I shall personally tweet Christopher Macdonald a picture of a disgruntled duck as a gesture of distain.

Have you guys in the U.K. already had a release, though? I think the only US showings were the LA run that Zac and Jake saw (and, presumably, an NYC run to get it Oscar eligible). Those of us in the middle of the US (including Theron, who's in Indiana) have had no realistic chance to see Your Name yet.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, it's not screening up where I am. Regretfully, in my corner of the world, we don't even get all of the mainstream releases, much less anime films. I do, however, support your disgruntled duck measure. Ducks are always worthwhile, disgruntled or not. Smile
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'm gonna be That Guy who wrote his list last week, and even formatted it in BBCode.

5. Schwarzesmarken – Maybe it’s the Imitative Fallacy at work, but this latest spin-off from the Muv-Luv franchise is itself a model of East German brutalist efficiency. Smart adaptation choices crunch 7 light novels down to 12 ruthlessly-paced episodes, something that franchise-mate Total Eclipse botched by failing to finish its story even with double the running time. Schwarzesmarken’s morality is often cringe-worthy and possibly inexplicable to someone not already familiar with the franchise, but then again, it probably wouldn’t be Muv-Luv if it weren’t deeply problematic. For fans, the show’s greatest sin is selling poorly on Blu-Ray, which makes a long-hoped-for anime of the main Muv-Luv visual novels even less likely to ever be produced.

4. Love Live! Sunshine!! – Formula is not always a bad thing. This spin-off of the monster hit idol anime sometimes struggled to figure out show to move out of µ’s shadow, and constantly name-checking the earlier series, or even reviving the “save our school” premise, was certainly not the way to do it. What worked was to revive the small dramas, the hopes and dreams, and the genuine charm of the first Love Live. It takes almost 8 episodes to get there, but after a disastrously premature Tokyo debut and the healing of some old wounds, Aqours finally finds its own footing. By the time the third years’ costumes magically change during “Mijuku Dreamer”, it’s practically a different show. Second season when?

3.Sound! Euphonium 2 – “Tadaimaaa…” There’s something about how Kumiko says it when she comes home, a specific combination of weariness and routine. This season has been really interesting in showing how our main character isn’t special at all, but is part of a special group, a band that will only be together for these few months. Much of the season has focused on ancillary characters like her sister and section leader, and it remains to be seen how things wrap up after Nationals, and what Kumiko’s future (if any) is with Reina, the person who’s helped Kumiko develop more spine and ambition than she would ever have had otherwise.

2. Planetarian – As Key/Visual Art’s mined the last of its crown jewels for this year’s disappointing Rewrite, it’s now become clear that Peak Key probably came and went about five years ago with Clannad After Story and Angel Beats!. But as a small taste of what was great about Key, Planetarian delivers. With only two characters of significance – has anyone considered staging this as a small stage play? – it gets to dig deeper than Key’s harem tours usually do, a sweet and sad sci-fi story that should be high on your list of anime to show to the normals.

1. Lupin the Third, Part IV – It seems crazy to say “welcome back” to a character that’s never far from anime consciousness, who gets a TV special every year, and was vividly reimagined in 2012’s The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. But in returning to 30-minute episodes, Lupin is freed of movie-length plots and can instead enjoy a wider variety of exploits. Along with the new blue jacket, we get a new venue, Italy, which supplies everything from impossibly fine wine to psychic reborn Leonardo DaVinci. Add to this some sharp new characters – Lupin’s erstwhile wife, Rebecca, and MI-6 agent Nyx – and one of the snazziest OPs since “Tank!”, and it’s easily my favorite of the year.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
It's not my intention to annoy, but the really ugly thing is to edit and delete comments from others. In myanimelist that would not have happened.

Does myanimelist tolerate people who directly insult other readers/posters? I doubt it. That is what you were doing with that meme and some other things you said in your second post, and that is why you got censored.

Quote:
And many would agree with me on myanimelist that anime like Alderamin on the Sky, KONOSUBA, Keijo and Re: Zero, should not be on a list of best anime of the year.

The things he wrote because they should be on the list those animes are very bad and superficial arguments.

To all the good critics that I have known of your country and of other countries they agree on one thing, to put to REzero like the best anime of the year, automatically invalidates your top. I say it with respect.

And while I obviously don't agree with you here (I am Theron Martin, in case you aren't aware), there's nothing wrong with posting a disagreement or saying that someone is wrong in this fashion. That is why I left this post that I am responding to alone.

Zin5ki wrote:
I would like to issue a statement.

If, following the conclusion of this week's Best of 2016 articles, not a single critic has included Your Name in their respective list, I shall personally tweet Christopher Macdonald a picture of a disgruntled duck as a gesture of distain. Surely such a film is eligible!

As others have stated, a lot of us simply haven't had a chance to see it yet. (Yeah, I know I probably could have looked up a fansub of it, but I generally only do that when a U.S. theatrical release looks unlikely.) Besides, given that Zac and Jacob both talked about it as as a possibility for the best movie overall that they saw in 2016, I don't think you have to worry about it popping up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
2. Planetarian

That's quite a high rank! Planetarian was very much by-the-numbers for those familiar with Key's fare. Nothing comes as any surprise in its simple tale, and while it is perhaps not the most stimulating anime from this year, it is still honest and successful within its own ambit. I would not expect it to be mentioned by the professionals, but owing to the trifling number of currently-airing anime I manage to watch, it is probable that I'd include it on my own list as well.

Key wrote:
Besides, given that Zac and Jacob both talked about it as a possibility for the best movie overall that they saw in 2016, I don't think you have to worry about it popping up.

In that case, I shall exclaim a tentative huzzah!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I saw a poll for best Anime of 2016, but not one for worst. Do you add the shows that got the least amount of votes to worst of?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I saw a poll for best Anime of 2016, but not one for worst. Do you add the shows that got the least amount of votes to worst of?

I think that may be the reviewers picks for worst of the year. That should be fun Very Happy
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Does me liking Mob Psycho 100 (and even making it part of my Top 5 of the Year) count as a twist? Laughing I mean, if it doesn't, I guess I can count spoiler[1000% Gratitude] then, because that was extraordinary, both as a twist and as a moment in general. Other really good moments I'd like to mention are spoiler[Katsuhira Agata's breakdown] during Kiznaiver, when he spoiler[finds out what the rest of the folk tested are faring], Concrete Revolutio's Jiro finding out spoiler[Rainbow Knight was just a regular dude on a costume] and Assassination Classroom's Sensei'sspoiler[ final moments with his class].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22