• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2016

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Sorry, I fail to see how either of those examples are "attacking" the show. I never denied it was a good show, and I made it quite clear that I was asking "other than it being good, why is it popular?" My "that would be boring" comment was referring to merely accepting "It's popular because it's good" at face value.

Because the first implies that the reason that YOI ranking is due to it being a gay show, not that it was a good show.

The second also implies that YOI couldn't be #1 because it's a good show.

Anyway, I'm stopping because I directly answered your question on possible outside factors instead of the quality of the show and you are obviously not really interested in talking about those.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
Anyway, I'm stopping because I directly answered your question on possible outside factors instead of the quality of the show and you are obviously not really interested in talking about those.

Your points didn't really have much that needed responding to. But I guess if there was one thing...

gabuhaha wrote:
2. Figure skating representation. It's not a sport that has had an anime before

Ginban Kaleidoscope. Go watch it, it's pretty good.
Cerulean16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well this thread had gone to crap. I should've seen it coming. Anyway, I'm happy to see 3 of my top 5 in the top 5 of the votes. Hope you all have a good new year!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what that guy said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just came back here to say that I was kind of amazed that "99" from Mob Psycho 100 didn't receive even a single mention in the best OP's of 2016 list. In my opinion, that opening beats pretty much anything else that came out this year. By a long shot. Sure, Yuri on Ice had a dope ass song, but it didn't sync up with its visuals nearly as downright perfectly as "99" did with its gorgeous and imaginative visuals full of morphing objects and nearly no hard-cuts in sight. It marries its music with its visuals to make both even better than they already are as standalone pieces. And that, imo, is what makes a truly effective opening.

Oh, and happy new year my fellow weebs! Here's to another year of (hopefully) lots of great new Japanese cartoons!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I guess that modern anime evolved into more and more fantastical environment/depictions so that now they just don't care at alll how "realistic" things look. Only how "cool" they are. It's perhaps analogous to the evolution in painting you have talked about before.

But what I miss the most in older stuff is the more organic look of the colors since the animation cells were painted by hand and that created a more complex and organic quality for the animation cells. Today they are digital so the color is much more uniform and "boring". You can notice that clear difference that started to appear around 1999-2000 when most studios switched to fully computerized animation.

Still I am not that of a big fan of "cool looking" animation sequences what I care the most is good direction, art and writing although I find those animation pyrotenics to be always a joy to watch.
A few things need clearly up, but before that I must ask. Why so many Quotation mark?, you are not even quoting anything.

With painted cels it is just a flat layer of paint,when it is shot, they turn it over onto the other side, to both hide any brush strokes and make it look more shiny. So the end result is just a colour, it really makes no real difference. The only stand out can be dirt on the cel, which honestly is really bad, as it shows a lack of care for the product, you don't see that in a lot of American animation.

Secondly, the switch to what is called Digitial paint, happened over a slightly longer period of time, Saber Marionette J to X which came out in 98 is Digital Paint, and Cowboy bebop the Movie, which came out in 01 is cel painted. And there is no clear difference at all, it is often debated what shows are and what are not digitally painted, for a few reasons.

Early digital paint is very different from today, and had more of a basic look very similar to cel paint. Also backgrounds(according to art director for Baccano!) were hand painted until 06, and even today some shows still have hand painted backgrounds, which is actually mostly likely the organic part of Anime you were talking about, as that is where brush strokes can be seen and fine details are present. Here's an example from the early 10s: https://2xtottemo.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/milky-holmes.jpg
A surprising high amount of shows from the 90s, mostly the later half, had some degree of CG, either 3D models or some 2D computer effects, the water in the sewers in Jin-Roh for example. This mix of media muddles what is what.

Lastly the animation is not computerised, colouring and animation are different departments, as is evident from Shirobako or any behind the scenes making of. They even still use pencil and paper since most animators don't know how to use a computer, how can that be computer animation
Dam I didn't expect to.write this much.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I just came back here to say that I was kind of amazed that "99" from Mob Psycho 100 didn't receive even a single mention in the best OP's of 2016 list. In my opinion, that opening beats pretty much anything else that came out this year. By a long shot. Sure, Yuri on Ice had a dope ass song, but it didn't sync up with its visuals nearly as downright perfectly as "99" did with its gorgeous and imaginative visuals full of morphing objects and nearly no hard-cuts in sight. It marries its music with its visuals to make both even better than they already are as standalone pieces. And that, imo, is what makes a truly effective opening.

Oh, and happy new year my fellow weebs! Here's to another year of (hopefully) lots of great new Japanese cartoons!
I think this can be explained by the fact that for many people, the best OP/ED is still pretty much a matter of picking which song you liked the best and then see if the visuals are good enough and in sync. It's understandable in a way (hell, that's how I used to choose my favorite OP/EDs until a few years ago), but some excellent openings or endings will definitely fly under the radar like that.
Plus, I think "99" becomes a lot more effective as the show goes on and you begin not only to care about Mob as a character but also to see just how much sense the trippy visuals and the lyrics actually make. And obviously, if you've already read the manga all you can do is be in awe of the craft and the sheer amount of effort that was poured into the whole thing.

Happy New Year to you too and everyone in this thread!

Last edited by Starbuckets on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Starbuckets wrote:
I think this can be explained by the fact that for many people, the best OP/ED is still pretty much a matter of picking which song you liked the best and then see if the visuals are good enough and in sync. It's understandable in a way (hell, that's how I used to choose my favorite OP/EDs until a few years ago), but some excellent openings or endings will definitely fly under the radar like that.

I think you could change "many" to "most." I still operate like that, as I am hard-pressed to think of a single case where I've considered an opener or closer great primarily because of visuals rather than song but I can easily think for a few cases where an OP/ED is great entirely because of the song. (Madoka Magika's "Magia" immediately springs to mind because of its overwhelming power and how it fits the tone of the series, and "Lullaby" from Now and Then, Here and There springs to mind because of how much of a calming influence the song is after witnessing the brutal nastiness of the series' content.)

Obviously the best cases are the ones where song and visuals are equally important. The best relatively recent examples I can think of about this case is WATAMOTE's self-titled opener, where both visual and song components are indispensable to making it a great opener; not only do the song and visuals perfectly complement each other (to the point of some lip-synching) but they also both strike perfectly at the spirit and themes of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm very satisfied with the top 2's of the megapoll result Re:Zero and Yuri!!! On Ice. I laughed when I saw Shelter on the list, I see what you did there Crunchy and Funi. I hope for more MadeonXPorter collaboration, Shelter is better than the weird hentai MV that's everywhere in youtube.

Dope OP's of 2016 are definitely mob choir 99 and History maker

edit: Holy crap I just saw the opening song of that parkour anime 「Strider's High」/OxT Woah why didn't it made on the list? I can say it's already better than my 2 top OP choices
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Because of the setting, I put "91 Days" as the best anime and original anime for 2016.
motormind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's my top 5, for anybody who cares:

5. Vivid Strike
4. Shuumatsu no Izetta
3. Girlish Number
2. Hibike Euphonium 2
1. Flip Flappers

It was a good year, overall. For yuri-fans like me, though, it was a bit meager. But hey, anime-makers have been hating lesbians for a while already now, so that's nothing new.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
@motormind, cool top 5. Glad to see Vivid Strike there I though it was a very entertaining show. Been watching Flip Flappers so far has been great and would be my nomination for anime of the year.

MarshalBanana wrote:
With painted cels it is just a flat layer of paint,when it is shot, they turn it over onto the other side, to both hide any brush strokes and make it look more shiny. So the end result is just a colour, it really makes no real difference. The only stand out can be dirt on the cel, which honestly is really bad, as it shows a lack of care for the product, you don't see that in a lot of American animation.

I guess the cause for the difference in look between 90's shows and modern shows must be sought in other areas. But there is a distinct feel of a more organic quality in 90's stuff compared to current stuff. Today stuff looks more like plastic than stuff from 20 years ago.

Quote:
Secondly, the switch to what is called Digitial paint, happened over a slightly longer period of time, Saber Marionette J to X which came out in 98 is Digital Paint, and Cowboy bebop the Movie, which came out in 01 is cel painted. And there is no clear difference at all, it is often debated what shows are and what are not digitally painted, for a few reasons.

Early digital paint is very different from today, and had more of a basic look very similar to cel paint. Also backgrounds(according to art director for Baccano!) were hand painted until 06, and even today some shows still have hand painted backgrounds, which is actually mostly likely the organic part of Anime you were talking about, as that is where brush strokes can be seen and fine details are present. Here's an example from the early 10s: https://2xtottemo.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/milky-holmes.jpg
A surprising high amount of shows from the 90s, mostly the later half, had some degree of CG, either 3D models or some 2D computer effects, the water in the sewers in Jin-Roh for example. This mix of media muddles what is what.

Well Ponyo was made completely by hand in 2008. I believe that was the last animated film made completely by hand using non digital methods only.

Quote:
Lastly the animation is not computerised, colouring and animation are different departments, as is evident from Shirobako or any behind the scenes making of. They even still use pencil and paper since most animators don't know how to use a computer, how can that be computer animation
Dam I didn't expect to.write this much.

I meant computerized in the sense it was animated in the computer instead of being animated on 35mm film (Lain was animated on film, Haibane Renmei was animated on a computer (digital film)).

I wouldn't think most people in Japan don't know how to use a computer and animators might be specially well versed with computers considering they grew up as otaku, I believe. Although there is a 30% fraction who doesn't know how to use a computer (https://www.nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/) Japan has the highest rate of high level computer literacy among developed countries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
[quote="Elric_Edward"]
Dayblack wrote:
That's why they call it SAO 2016.

Literally no one calls it this

[swearing/insult removed - t]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22