• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slimdubs or Dubs after an anime is over?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterSaruwatari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
Not too long ago Funi has been dubbing shows as they are currently airing. To my knowledge this has been met with mixed results. While good in some aspects that dub fans get heir shows much quicker. Bad in the aspect that the dubs are being rushed to keep up with the airing show. Now with dubs coming after the shows they don't have to rush themselves and can make the proper casting choices and make sure the script is on point. But even then a bad dub is likely to happen.(See the AOT dub for example). But more than likely these dubs are done to the best of their ability.

So to all my dub fans...what do you prefer? For me I can see how both ways. Though I my lean towards the Dubs coming after the show is over. I mean look at how well Panty and Stocking turn out. Do you think that would be of the same quality if it was being dub while still airing in Japan?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Both are fine with me. when they started this, there was definitely a noticeable dip in quality from some directors as they adjusted to the new method. However, I think most have adjusted well and are back to their normal directing abilities prior to broadcast dubs starting. Casting has gotten more diverse too, which is nice. I like Monica Rial, but she was in damn near everything the winter 15 season when they went to 10 at a time. I don't follow all the broadcast dubs each season, since I'm already probably watching the simulcast of the show and I don't feel like re-watching it until later. Usually just following what's on dubbletalk, but I at least re-watch the first ep of each show they are working on, and I've noticed a decline in scripting shenanigans ever since Prison School, which true to their word, was fixed prior to the disk release. that wouldn't have been hard to correct since out the nearly two dozen writers they have, only about three get too creative for their own good.
MasterSaruwatari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Both are fine with me. when they started this, there was definitely a noticeable dip in quality from some directors as they adjusted to the new method. However, I think most have adjusted well and are back to their normal directing abilities prior to broadcast dubs starting. Casting has gotten more diverse too, which is nice. I like Monica Rial, but she was in damn near everything the winter 15 season when they went to 10 at a time. I don't follow all the broadcast dubs each season, since I'm already probably watching the simulcast of the show and I don't feel like re-watching it until later. Usually just following what's on dubbletalk, but I at least re-watch the first ep of each show they are working on, and I've noticed a decline in scripting shenanigans ever since Prison School, which true to their word, was fixed prior to the disk release. that wouldn't have been hard to correct since out the nearly two dozen writers they have, only about three get too creative for their own good.
What did they fix on the Prison School disk release? I remember watching the dub while the voices were fine the script got really corny at times. Also they have three writers that get too creative for their own good? I think his name was nick something. He was a "Translator" for some of the earlier Hyper Dimension Neptunia.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
For myself, I'd rather Funi wait until a show is over and ready for home release before dubbing. I just think you get better dubs that way. Too much risk of a, "eh, good enough" attitude in the simuldub method.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
As a generally non-dub watcher, I'm coming into this with a slightly different perspective, however, I feel that there are similar issues with simulcast subs as well.

In many series, there are aspects of the show which are not fully understood at first, only explained as the show progresses, if not at the end. This often leads to tricky translation problems, when certain names/terms/phrases/what have you can be translated in multiple ways. The translator has to pick the one that fits the best, as they see it, but it may be, with later-revealed information, that another was more appropriate (I know I've seen this with simulcast subs before, but I can't think of any off the top of my head).

Going along with this, though obviously not a problem with simulcast subtitles, is the casting. What appears to be a good casting choice at the offset, may not be as good of choice in the long run, depending on how the characters change.

Overall, I'd say, with both subtitles and dubs, you get a more accurate package when the finalized translation and casting are done after the completion of the work.

However, in this day and age, that's simply not possible. Besides the whole "release it as fast as possible or the people will go to the pirates" problem, many series are being released incomplete, either due to multiple seasons for an original work, or an incomplete source material. Which means, even if you wait to do the work until after the anime season has finished, later revelations may still make your translations and/or casting choices inaccurate. So it's a lose/lose situation.

In that case, the current system really is the best possible, when they can still go back and change wording before the home release.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather they wait. Dubs cost money to produce, sure, they picked Yuri on Ice, which will probably do well in the home market for them, but they've also probably picked some fairly terrible shows to dub too. They're clearly wasting money by dubbing things no one wants in the first place.

Also, I feel like by waiting, we will get a higher quality product. Things change for the Japan home release all the time, and those changes typically come over here too. And it seems they do need to call the dub actors back in on occasion because of it. But I think taking more time to get the casting better and do the translation more perfect could only help.

Now, given that Japan likes our home releases out a bit later, I could see perhaps putting the dub online before the home bluray version comes out over here, since that could help keep it fresh in people's minds in the meantime and attract more of an audience before the home release too. But I do feel like doing it as it goes is somewhat unnecessary.

Now, I could see an exception with a series like Pokemon. They have the dub actors already lined up, they've been using them for how long now, and these days, we have the official Pokemon name/moves/locations/trainers/etc translations right off the bat, since the games are coming out worldwide now. So waiting too long on that one doesn't make much sense. Also, the Pokemon anime never ends anyway, if they were to wait for a series to finish, well it doesn't really end until the next generation of games comes out anyway. Also, we know that Pokemon isn't really going to suddenly shake things up very much, it's a pretty safe thing to simul-dub, imo.

As Dessa said though, some things in a show early are meant to be misleading or might be unintentionally ambiguous, and rushing to dub before it's done can lead to errors. In some countries, Cody from Digimon 02 is dubbed as a girl, even though later in the series (and especially the epilogue, which we will pretend doesn't exist), it's very obvious that he is a boy. A lot of the Digimon get gender swaps in various countries as well, but that, at least, doesn't affect the story. Also, in the first Digimon series, Matt tells Tai that TK is his half-brother. Turns out later that they're full brothers with divorced parents (unless Matt knows something secret there). So yes, I think there can definitely be major problems with making the dub scripts without the whole show, and for shorter one cour shows, I don't see much of a problem with waiting.
Also, anyone remember when Dark Horse brought over the Shadow Star Narutaru manga? They marketed it as a Pokemon clone. Things got real awkward for their editing team in later volumes, we'll just leave it at that. The problem here though is simple: Dark Horse had no idea that SSN was not an ordinary Pokemon clone, they legit thought it was kid friendly at first.

So obviously a lot of these problems can stem from things being long running (just look at Viz's FMA manga translation, they change names and stuff all the time), and in the case of long runners (like One Piece) and long running manga, it's hard to avoid (since waiting another 30 years for One Piece to end is hardly a good option), but with a one or two cour series, it can be easily avoided by just waiting it out. They can certainly still get eyes on it and put it out subbed, but I would prefer a dub later down the line (even if they decide to release it online before the home release, that's fine with me too)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1