• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation in Japan on Blu-ray Disc/DVD by Series: 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I am really impressed that "Is the order a Rabbit?" made the top 15 there. People complain about moe but that's the only moe title in the top 15.

Its also interesting to compare anime and manga sales to notice how the most popular genres are quite different in each medium. And total sales of top selling manga are obviously much larger (about 30 times larger, but manga volumes are much cheaper as well).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Jojo needs to be higher in order for us fans to be secure and sure about a part 5 anime, but I guess this is ok for now.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Osamination on the roll again! I thought this franchise was dying but nope
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Surprise comedy hits like Mr Osomatsu are not unprecedated (The World of Golden Eggs & Peeping Life, for example). However, those titles should tell you that it's too soon to know if Mr Osomatsu is going to maintain its success, or become another flash in the pan.

Well, it's not even that Osomastu is a surprise comedy hit. Osomatsu (and anything by Fujiko Fujio) is of course going to have comedic aspects, and I think it's not a surprise that the show was successful. . . it's just fascinating watching all of these different parts of the series popularity come together.

Was anyone expecting it to hit off with women the way it did, or that it would go the lengths of some of its jokes and material? And that's to say nothing of the merchandising that ensued, or even the doujin market that followed.

I doubt it will be a flash in the pan, given how it sells everything (selling out magazines, the DVD/BR performance, etc), and the fact that it has enduring presence in places like ComiKet and other spaces.

But more than anything, I guess my point was: Osomatsu is a weird (but good/quality) show. But it's also popular with women, and frankly, aimed at women. And it kind of reminds me of Sailor Moon Crystal and JoJo, in that it attracts especially the older female audience, and we do see more shows increasingly aimed at that audience. I'm wondering how a show like Osomatsu taking the top of the charts and dominating so many spaces is going to influence the direction of the anime industry. I mean, with male idols becoming more prevalent, we're seeing more female aimed stuff, but I wonder if more companies will branch out to other things besides idols and do something more Osomatsu, or just quirky and speaking to women on a more relatable level? (And yeah, the bros are crazy, but there's a guy for every type, ya know?)

But maybe it'll be like moe, where we don't see the influence for a while and women start to get into the industry more, but then how would things look at that point? Just broad but kind of vague things like that.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
^
You know Osomatsu isn't aimed at women, right? Even the director was shocked at the female fans.

More women getting into the industry is irrelevant. The race or gender of the director has no meaning on its appeal or quality, despite what narrative western critics want to push. Osomatsusan was directed by a man, as is all of these shounen anime that are popular with women with the sole exception of YoI. The old myth of needing a <race> in order to write for <race> is a crutch people use to justify a lack of audience or sales.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
^
You know Osomatsu isn't aimed at women, right? Even the director was shocked at the female fans.

More women getting into the industry is irrelevant. The race or gender of the director has no meaning on its appeal or quality, despite what narrative western critics want to push. Osomatsusan was directed by a man, as is all of these shounen anime that are popular with women with the sole exception of YoI. The old myth of needing a <race> in order to write for <race> is a crutch people use to justify a lack of audience or sales.

The anime may not have been intended that way, but you can't say they haven't made an active effort in the merchandising. Everything else they've done parallel to the show is very female-centric in terms of merchandising, and that can't really be ignored.

It's fine if you feel the race, gender, etc of the any of the creative team has no meaning, but that has often enough proven to not be true.

I think you even took that in a direction that I wasn't even getting at? I didn't bring up the genre of the shows (and even mentioned how older women are into JJBA; which is pretty quirky for a shounen, and more like Togashi's later works, they stand out).

I would never even say you need to be a certain race/gender/anything to write for another group. I agree that's a crutch; people use that excuse all the time to not write for other groups that they're not part of.

What I am talking about basically are things like Sailor Moon, where girls grew up with it and got inspired and entered the industry, and how Crystal then had quite a few women new to the industry working on it. Women are attracted to shounen all the time, obviously made by and for men (not to say some of them aren't trying to make things appealing for the female audience; which is wise). I don't even know why you went off in the direction you did?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I don't even know why you went off in the direction you did?

Because god forbid anyone so much as insinuate women are even remotely relevant to the industry.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
manapear wrote:
I don't even know why you went off in the direction you did?

Because god forbid anyone so much as insinuate women are even remotely relevant to the industry.

Certainly felt like that. :/
Like, not only did they make a jump in conclusions on my intention, but why even take things that far? If women being in the industry was irrelevant, Miyazaki wouldn't have been making such a point about it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It's not a "feel like" thing. There's a very vocal group of people that rarely partake in any discussion in this forum other than to undermine women's influence in the industry, be it as creators or consumers. Happened when Free became a hit too, and this same people popped up to claim it was because of its "shonen sports appeal" towards men. "Coincidentally" it's the same group of people who will now pop into any thread to say Yuri on Ice isn't gay while simultaneously claiming Welcome to the Dance Floor won't be "yaoi shit" like Yuri on Ice.

i wouldn't bother with them much. At this point in time, anyone claiming Osomatsu-san's success isn't largely supported by fujoshi money is either under ten layers of denial or downright trolling
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's not a "feel like" thing. There's a very vocal group of people that rarely partake in any discussion in this forum other than to undermine women's influence in the industry, be it as creators or consumers. Happened when Free became a hit too, and this same people popped up to claim it was because of its "shonen sports appeal" towards men. "Coincidentally" it's the same group of people who will now pop into any thread to say Yuri on Ice isn't gay while simultaneously claiming Welcome to the Dance Floor won't be "yaoi shit" like Yuri on Ice.

i wouldn't bother with them much. At this point in time, anyone claiming Osomatsu-san's success isn't largely supported by fujoshi money is either under ten layers of denial or downright trolling

I think I remember seeing some of them in a previous article too. I know I remember the Free! one, and that simultaneously frustrated me and cracked me up. I guess I'm not surprised at this point.

The denial of how obviously and increasingly gay YoI was could have also been amusing, if homophobia wasn't such a rampant problem in the anime community (which is more sad given how many of us are queer).

Indeed. Even if we were to say that the director "didn't intend to aim it at women," the studio definitely took the popularity with female fans and ran with it in a second.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
The anime may not have been intended that way, but you can't say they haven't made an active effort in the merchandising. Everything else they've done parallel to the show is very female-centric in terms of merchandising, and that can't really be ignored.

There's merchandise for everyone for every show. Japan doesn't limit itself to one demographic. It doesn't make Osomatsu for women though.

Quote:
It's fine if you feel the race, gender, etc of the any of the creative team has no meaning, but that has often enough proven to not be true.

What I meant was given the success of anime in the west race and gender has no baring on it since white, black, and other people can enjoy a Japanese made product just fine. I brought it up because of the irony of citing Osomatsu as a potential game changer for women in the industry given it was made by a man and based on a shounen manga, neither of which have nothing to do with women in the industry. Most people clearly dont care about the sex or race of the creator when it comes to anime.

CrowLia wrote:

You probably see that because of the insistence of posters asserting claims like the one you just made of Osomatsu-san/other shounen is only popular because of women. You accuse people of having issues with women in the industry but have no problem scoffing at the idea of men being a part of the success. How about we agree both men and women enjoy shows and trying to stake claims in shows is juvenile? You never see guys do that everytime a shoujo show does well. You don't see people in every Precure thread patting themselves on the back boasting how men's spending power is amazing, and balking at the idea a girl would watch such a clearly otaku-pandering show like people do for guys with these fujo-appealing shounen.

I assume the people you mention never show up in Otome or BL adaptions because those shows are clearly aimed at females and are undisputable. Of course people will take issue when those claims are made for sports/shounen.

Last edited by Lord Oink on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
^Call me back when you can quote me saying that not a single man spent a single yen on a fujoshi-strong franchise.

As for why women are so defensive about people downplaying their role in the industry: because we remember that barely three years ago people would happily claim "women don't buy anime" and "there is no point in doing female-oriented anime because women are already satisfied with what they get". It's also rich to claim men "never pat themselves in the back for a franchise's success" but when Free became a hit all the previously offended KyoAni otaku were very quick to ascertain that "Free's success doesn't mean women buy anime because Free is popular with men". Been there, done that, don't expect us to forget about it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
How much of that Free stuff was in response to people insisting it was only popular due to women? Trying not to be silenced isn't the same as back patting. That'd be why I used a shojo example. Sailor Moon, CCS, and PreCure threads are all spared that drama. Its specifically only shonen like Osomatsu that has to deal with gender debates and "well actually its because of US this show is successful, thank you".
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
How much of that Free stuff was in response to people insisting it was only popular due to women? .

The question you should be asking is "how much of women's feeling proud for Free's success was a response to offended KyoAni otaku claiming for months the show wouldn't sell because women don't buy anime"
And the answer would be "all of it".
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
We are in the fujoshi world now.

And yes, it's pretty obvious Osomatsu-san is aimed at females: the manga is Josei! (and it's not like the art style appeals to males) So a Josei anime made the top 1! I think that's the first time ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4