• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Best of 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I wasn't critiqing F2P/cash shop stuff so much as I found it amusing skins were in an FPS game since you don't see your character as you play like you do in other genres so cosmetic skins seemed a bit odd.

-Stuart Smith

Ah okay, that would be confusing to anyone who hasn't played the game themselves. Sorry about that, I made the wrong assumption. As for the skins, you do see your character a decent bit, you can press a certain button combo to have them do a specific animation where the camera will go third-person to show it (and you get more animation options with the loot boxes), you see them on a Kill cam anytime you die, and you'll see them on the Play of the Game screen if you get PotG (which also has unique animations you can choose from. Yeah, this game offers a ton of customization). Heck, if you're playing Reinhardt, you're usually seeing yourself in third-person as he'll usually have the shield up which puts him in third-person mode. Obviously that may not be enough for some players but for certain players like me who just love this colorful, diverse cast of characters I enjoy all the cosmetic options the game provides.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
My Top Ten of 2106 was as follows:

1. Blazblue: Central Fiction
2. Fire Emblem: Fates
3. Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE
4. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
5. Bravely Second: End Layer
6. Project X Zone 2
7. Pokemon Sun and Moon
8. Monster Hunter: Generations
9. Pokken Tournament
10. Star Fox Zero

There were a lot more I played, but those are the ones that stood out to me and thus drove me to invest a lot in them.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Not really listed in an any order but my favorite of 2016.
Kerbal Space Program (official non beta release was in 2016)
Civilization VI
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Dark Souls III
Firewatch
Out of the Park Baseball 2017
Darkest Dungeon
Her Story
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
6. Project X Zone 2

This deserves a high five. Glad to meet another fellow PXZ'r here. :D
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
My video game backlog is so enormous that I've only played one game from 2016 - Pokemon Sun and Moon.

I'm still playing the crap out of Fire Emblem Fates...that's close, right? That's easily my favorite recent-ish game I've gotten around to.

I'm looking forward to Persona 5 the most, and I'll get around to Final Fantasy 15 eventually.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I only played Gravity Rush for the first time in 2015. But I am so happy the second game is coming out so quickly after my experience with the first game, this series is very fun and has amazing lore!

My favorite games of 2016:
5 - Star Ocean V
4 - Dark Souls III
3 - Valkyria Chronicles HD (PS3 version is in my top 5 of last gen, I enjoyed the re-release)
2 - Persona 5 (sunk 50h without understanding a single word...)
1 - Final Fantasy XV - a flawed masterpiece that I couldn't stop critiquing... but couldn't put down
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
My best game of 2016: Pokémon Sun and Moon. The new graphics were amazing and Pokémon Refresh was an adorable feature that made interaction with Pokémon so much fun! Anime catgrin Plus, I've noticed that the battles in Sun and Moon seemed a bit harder than those in X and Y, which added to the tension of them. Finally, the Alolan Forms of some of the Gen I Pokémon and their Abilities made for some new awesome strategies. Smile

Happy New Year's everyone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3