• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Grossing Domestic Japanese, Foreign Films of 2016 Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
Um, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Star Wars has been an "oversaturated" franchise long before Disney ever got their hands on it. From tv shows to books to video games to legos. It's always been everywhere, let's not pretend otherwise. And the new films are canon, whether you want to accept it or not.

We're talking about movies. Obviously they're now 'canon', but Disney axing all the continuity they didn't create and retconning the rest certainly rubbed many a old nerds the wrong way.

-Stuart Smith

Being one of the legacy "nerds" myself, while I was greatly disappointed that characters like Corran Horn or Mara Jade, or even the Young Jedi Knights like Tenel Ka got axed, it was also good to reboot due to the various continuity issues the expanded universe had between 1990 to 2005 (mostly due to various books conflicting with the games and comics). I would go into more detail but that is a discussion for another thread.

Frankly, I'm not surprised by this list at all. I really do want to see Your Name badly. I'm hoping it gets released soon. I've seen most of the foreign films that made the list, however the anime list, not so much. Do I really need to have watched or read a good portion of Detective Conan to understand who is who in the Conan movie? I've only seen about 70 episodes or so before I stopped following it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Shin Godzilla near the top of the list. I expected a fairly mainstream monster movie and got a satire of Japanese politics and bureaucracy instead. For me, the battles against Godzilla were the least interesting parts of the film, while the Cabinet meetings and related infighting were constantly entertaining. Ishihara Satomi wasn't a very convincing Japanese-American politico, but her flair and beauty more than made up for it.

Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Makoto Shinkai. Enough said.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
Makoto Shinkai. Enough said.

If it beats "Spirited Away" domestically, then enough has been said.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's any possible way that Star Wars: Rogue One will get anywhere near Your Name in the final tally, but I have to point out the obvious: Rogue One was only released a couple of weeks ago and is still making money in Japan and likely will for another month or so, so its position on the chart is by no means final.

I was most amused that Independence Day: Resurgence, which was one of the biggest flops of the summer in the "domestic" North American market, has beat every Marvel (Disney or Fox) and DC Comics movie in Japan, even if the margin over Captain America: Civil War is a relatively razor-thin 0.02 billion yen. I see on Box Office Mojo that ID4-2 has made just under $400 million U.S. worldwide, with "overseas" box office counting for a whopping 73.5% of its final tally (assuming it's not still being counted somewhere), so it's not a total failure although it probably needed another $200 million or so to truly break even (given that the studio only sees a fraction of overseas box office).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I was most amused that Independence Day: Resurgence, which was one of the biggest flops of the summer in the "domestic" North American market, has beat every Marvel (Disney or Fox) and DC Comics movie in Japan, even if the margin over Captain America: Civil War is a relatively razor-thin 0.02 billion yen. I see on Box Office Mojo that [url=/movies/?id=id42.htm]ID4-2[/url] has made just under $400 million U.S. worldwide, with "overseas" box office counting for a whopping 73.5% of its final tally (assuming it's not still being counted somewhere), so it's not a total failure although it probably needed another $200 million or so to truly break even (given that the studio only sees a fraction of overseas box office).

It makes sense when you take into consideration the market for American movies in Japan. Disney and schlocky action movies do the best there. The Marvel/DC stuff never really made it big there. Both Avengers worldwide hits lost out to movies like Fast and the Furious and Resident Evil. The Resident Evil movies started marketing itself towards Japan in the end because they always did better there.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2