• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uta no Prince-sama's 2nd Quartet Night Single Sells 107,765 Copies to Rank #1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Woah! Does anyone know how or why Quartet Night became so popular? They barely even appeared in S4
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
^ It has a huge sales doping of premium event ticket for Quartet Night Solo Concert. I just quote Ejc' s description from http://www.someanithing.com/6198/comment-page-1#comments for a brief explanation.

Quote:
It is for a March 2017 live concert with QUARTET NIGHT, while Vol.1/2 of UtaPri S4 BDs is for the 6th UtaPri live in May 2017. It will have minimal effect on Vol.1/2 of UtaPri S4, but Vol.1/2 will most likely not sell as high as the QUARTET NIGHT CD due to the higher cost of the BD compared to a CD, and the ranking performance at Animate.
Macross Delta is a different case, as the event tickets for the 1st/2nd Walkure albums are exactly the same as on Vol.1/2 of the
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
But that doesn't answer the question at all. The CD sold a lot because it had lottery tickets for the Quartet Night concert, but then that means a lot of people wanted to go to the concert. So we're back to why is Quartet Night turning out more popular than the main group STARISH?
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Woah! Does anyone know how or why Quartet Night became so popular? They barely even appeared in S4

Eh? They had their own season (S3 where the STARISH guys were reduced to side characters while the story focused on Quartet Night) and their own game (All Star, which focused on Quartet Night to the point where you had to reach perfect end for all their routes to unlock the STARISH guys, who had a single route with only the endings being different for each character.)

That aside, UtaPri singles tend to reach pretty high ranks on Oricon, regularly getting into the top 10. I don't remember season 3, but if I remember correctly from the season 2 singles each achieved a rank higher than weekly #5, with most of them reaching at least one daily #1 rank.
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well...it's just my assumption, but it's probably got to do with the seiyuu (if I'm not mistaken, Quartet Night has Tatsuhisa Suzuki and Shouta Aoi along with Showtaro Morikubo and Tomoaki Maeno). I'm pretty sure both Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Old-Codex) and Shouta Aoi are among the popular seiyuu-singer right now, so maybe they already had a quite decent/big followers for the group even before the 4th season of the anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I watched S3 but what strikes me as odd is that the Quartet Night single/concert is selling like crazy now when S4 was mostly HEAVENS. I didn't know about the All Stars game though, was that released recently? If so then that probably did have an influence on increasing that group's popularity.

I'm aware that UtaPri has always been a high seller, I'm just really curious because as the article points out, the QN single easily outsold any of the previous Starish ones

Re The seiyuu: Tattsun is definitely very popular, but even him I don't think can compete against Mamoru Miyano whose singles have placed #1 in Oricon iirc

Last edited by CrowLia on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
sontoloyo wrote:
Well...it's just my assumption, but it's probably got to do with the seiyuu (if I'm not mistaken, Quartet Night has Tatsuhisa Suzuki and Shouta Aoi along with Showtaro Morikubo and Tomoaki Maeno). I'm pretty sure both Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Old-Codex) and Shouta Aoi are among the popular seiyuu-singer right now, so maybe they already had a quite decent/big followers for the group even before the 4th season of the anime.

Ha, they're not bigger than Miyano Mamoru (Tokiya), Taniyama Kishou (Natsuki) or even Suzumura Kenichi (Masato). Or Shimono Hiro (Shou) who couldn't sing to save his life (I really don't know what he's doing in his franchise) but is a very popular personality with lots of fans.

CrowLia wrote:
Sure, I watched S3 but what strikes me as odd is that the Quartet Night single/concert is selling like crazy now when S4 was mostly HEAVENS. I didn't know about the All Stars game though, was that released recently? If so then that probably did have an influence on increasing that group's popularity.

I'm aware that UtaPri has always been a high seller, I'm just really curious because as the article points out, the QN single easily outsold any of the previous Starish ones

I don't think there's any particular reason. As noted above there's a concert ticket, and there aren't all that many Quartet Night only live events (actually this might be the first? don't quote me on it) so that's an incentive to buy the CD. Also it's a decent song as far as UtaPri songs go, so people may just simply like it a lot. (By the way, All Star was released almost alongside S3. Also worth noting that so far S3 was the most successful UtaPri season, it sold ridiculous amounts on BD and DVD.)

Last edited by SHD on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Utapri is always a high seller but like what Crowlia said above, none of their singles ever sold over 100K, with the exception of this QN event ticket single. Most of their single even when on their peak (S2-S3) "only" sold around 50K top for 1st week. This year even kind of worse before this QN single, because it has a noticeable drop from the previous seasons. All of their singles from S4 mostly drop about half from the previous seasons, not to mention the usually popular OP-ED single that used to sell around 40-50K first week only, now after 3rd-4th week still can't even reach 30K.

Its cd singles for this 4th season is being overthrown by the likes of Tourabu, Ensemble Stars, Idolish 7, etc. In fact having followed the oricon chart weekly, I saw that both EnStars and Idolish 7 has a very good potential to give Utapri a run for their money if done right. Since nowadays almost all of their singles practically sold better than Utapri (and that even without an anime yet).

So I can understand where Crowlia bewilderment came from, since I also still find it a bit unbelievable knowing all of those past track records of their songs/cd sales, that an event ticket for a solo concert can make those differences, for QN nonetheless. I probaly will not be that surprised if it's for Starish or the whole group event ticket.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Also it's a decent song as far as UtaPri songs go, so people may just simply like it a lot.

Yeah, I thought it was the 2nd best song of the season, and one of the better of the whole franchise, so as someone who doesn't really track this stuff and doesn't know any better, I wasn't surprised. Maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder and all... Wink
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
Even tho we know the anime is sht the only good thing about the Utapri franchise is their songs and the strong fandom supporting it. But It's not surprising when Quartet's popularity is slaying Starish their songs have been pretty generic as of lately(and talk about that sold out lottery night event of QN). It's understandable too why Heavens doesn't sell yet because they're still 'fresh' but we all know that they have the best tracks amongst the 3 groups. Broccolli give those guys a lottery night too lel they deserved it. Bad news is this' gonna push the staffs to make a DarthVader sequel again.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
ANN finally puts up this news. Crunchy had already reported a few days back.

CrowLia wrote:

Re The seiyuu: Tattsun is definitely very popular, but even him I don't think can compete against Mamoru Miyano whose singles have placed #1 in Oricon iirc

All Star was released in 2013, and the fan disc After Secret in 2015.

My thoughts (note: not facts):

- Quartet Night has been popular since All Star, and as mentioned there was S3 too. This is QN's first solo concert. Having a solo concert for them would guarantee turnouts, especially...

- The concert venue for QN's concert can allegedly seat about 4000, which is far below the usual Utapri Live Stages (~13k, I believe). It's not like QN is unknown, selling 4000 tickets wouldn't be difficult. Not to mention...

- The CD only has a lottery ticket application for seats, it's not even guaranteed seats. And it's only an allocated amount, they have some seats (albeit the worst in the venue) for general sales too. Add to that...

- As mentioned, the CD is cheaper than the usual BD/DVD price. Consider that this is a QN-only concert (so Starish-only fans, if any, wouldn't bother going, and thus means less competition for tickets), with very limited seats, some fans might bulk buy CDs for a higher chance of going. At least, I heard of fans doing this, even though ticket application requires entering actual names and each person can only apply for one.

- If we are to consider Utapri's first 2 Live Stages as Starish's concerts, then even though Starish hasn't had solo concerts in their name, if Starish were to hypothetically have a solo concert now with the same promotion as QN, I wouldn't be surprised if Starish's CD sells just as well as QN, despite the falling Utapri sales. (Particular of note is how popular seiyuus in Starish like Miyano and Taniyama rarely, if ever, do other idol anime, so their fans would be even more motivated to go.)

- Leaving the concert aside, God's Star is a far stronger single than Evolution Eve, QN's previous single. Both God's Star and Kizuna are great songs. (I personally feel most of S3's songs are the worst in the franchise anyway.) There could be people who bought it just because they liked the songs, y'know.

- Entirely personal opinion but Quartet Night is my favorite group among the 3. I prefer QN's sound over Starish, and if we're to look at lyrics, QN's lyrics are more mature and sexual than Starish. I watch Utapri Live Stages and I really like the seiyuu interactions; Quartet Night seiyuu get along very well. (At the risk of being killed by Starish fans, I would even say QN seiyuu have better chemistry than Starish seiyuu.) Singing-wise, I think QN's voices gel better than that of Starish, even though I think Utapri's best singers are in Starish. (Or maybe QN already wins by not having Shimono.) I don't know much about Heavens, even after S4, and while their group songs are not bad, I don't like half the group and I haven't seen them live so I can't say anything about it. So basically, to me QN is the most well-rounded in terms of singing, characters and seiyuu.

I do agree that as popular as Tatsun and Shoutan are, they don't hold a candle to Mamo (obviously), while Taniyama and SuzuKen have the advantage of being long-established seiyuu. Heck, Utapri practically built Shoutan's seiyuu career. (It's also amazing how popular he is considering his limited filmography. He really has to thank whoever cast him in Utapri.)

iamtooawesome wrote:
But It's not surprising when Quartet's popularity is slaying Starish their songs have been pretty generic as of lately(and talk about that sold out lottery night event of QN). Bad news is this' gonna push the staffs to make a DarthVader sequel again.

I personally agree with the generic comment, but this is solely my opinion. And anyway Utapri has already announced a new anime project after the last episode of S4. What it will be about is up to anybody's guess, but it's not like they announced this after they saw QN's sales. (Though I personally hope QN's sales means that we can get a QN spinoff, I think we have more interesting things to see from them, while Starish's story has mostly been told.)
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
starlightshine wrote:
- If we are to consider Utapri's first 2 Live Stages as Starish's concerts, then even though Starish hasn't had solo concerts in their name, if Starish were to hypothetically have a solo concert now with the same promotion as QN, I wouldn't be surprised if Starish's CD sells just as well as QN, despite the falling Utapri sales. (Particular of note is how popular seiyuus in Starish like Miyano and Taniyama rarely, if ever, do other idol anime, so their fans would be even more motivated to go.)

Yeah, most likely. Starish/the characters still have their fans, and they'd be able to rack up sales with this sort of promotion. That said, I agree that their songs have been getting sort of boring as of late, with the anime toning down a lot of the fun camp that attracted many people to the frachise. And it's been 4 anime seasons and a ton of games, while there are a whole lot of newer pretty boy/seiyuu franchises, so all in all it's not surprising that fan attention has been waning. I still do like the group (I mean the characters) a lot, so I hope the writers will find a way to do something about this in the next season.

(Subjective opinion, but while I like QN's songs, I don't like the group itself. They're fine when they're singing, but the group dynamics don't do it for me, and aside of Morikubo the seiyuu somehow keep using voices and deliveries in dialogue that grate on me after a while. And then there's Aoi Shouta...)

starlightshine wrote:
Heck, Utapri practically built Shoutan's seiyuu career. (It's also amazing how popular he is considering his limited filmography.)

And his limited talent at acting. Sure, his singing is good, but oh boy, he just can't act. In UtaPri I guess it's less distracting because Ai is technically a robot (with feelings and all that, but a robot anyway), and UtaPri is not much of an acting challenge anyway so everyone keeps phoning it in most of the time. But in every other show I've heard him in he never failed to make me wince and be distracted. (Sorry, fans! I do think his singing is fine! But his acting... nah.)
Loveless100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
As someone who bought the CD for the concert, I think it's disgusting that the concert is only 5k seats...PLUS you're only allowed to purchase one ticket. You can't even go with a friend.

The bluray raffle will be for the May concert that has ~60-70k seats (aka a baseball stadium). I believe the sale of the bluray Vol. 1 and 2 will be consistent with Revolutions sales since it's the same event. You technically have better odds than the QUARTET NIGHT concert....and you get both STARISH and HEAVENS too.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Those were surprising numbers to me too. I have noticed those characters to be popular, but I knew nothing of their seiyuu in comparison to the other guys' popularity. Interesting that they're not as popular as some of the others (not as surprising in comparison to Miyano, for sure).

I guess I'm also just glad to see otome (related) material topping a chart.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
(Subjective opinion, but while I like QN's songs, I don't like the group itself. They're fine when they're singing, but the group dynamics don't do it for me, and aside of Morikubo the seiyuu somehow keep using voices and deliveries in dialogue that grate on me after a while. And then there's Aoi Shouta...)

It's fine, we all have our own opinions. Smile somewhat off-topic, I joke that Tatsun uses his gangster voice for Ranmaru - he always sounds (to me) like he's going to start beating somebody up.

SHD wrote:
And his limited talent at acting. Sure, his singing is good, but oh boy, he just can't act. In UtaPri I guess it's less distracting because Ai is technically a robot (with feelings and all that, but a robot anyway), and UtaPri is not much of an acting challenge anyway so everyone keeps phoning it in most of the time. But in every other show I've heard him in he never failed to make me wince and be distracted. (Sorry, fans! I do think his singing is fine! But his acting... nah.)

I actually am a fan of him! Laughing I always did consider Ai to be a super easy character to voice for newbies because of that. His singing is definitely better than his acting (I'm a fan, but I'm not deaf). Actually, I do think he's been slowly improving, though he's still got a long way to go. (And you're not alone in feeling that way, I've heard your words multiple times from other people before.)

Have you seen this? It's from the recent Watashi ga Motete Dousunda/Kiss Him Not Me, and Aoi Shouta is playing the redhead. (No spoilers for the main anime, don't worry.) I think he's improved, and at least he's using a different voice than usual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1