• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Apocrypha Novels' TV Anime Announced With Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Platinumme

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Why the hate on A-1 Pictures? We should look more on the people behind the project. Occultic;Nine and Shelter had really good Sakuga moments in addition to its great visuals.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ROXAS!

Quote:
at A-1 Pictures

synaia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Platinumme wrote:
Why the hate on A-1 Pictures? We should look more on the people behind the project. Occultic;Nine and Shelter had really good Sakuga moments in addition to its great visuals.

it's easier to blame a studio.
amc9988

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
So does the light novel is completed or ongoing? Hoping this to be a complete adaptation just like Fate Zero...
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Platinumme wrote:

It's already mentioned that it's easier to hate on a studio, but it doesn't help that A-1 is also predominantly made up of a rotating group of creators.

For that reason they've developed a bit of a negative reputation. With a rotating group of creators, there's a lack of the consistency that studios like Bones, Madhouse and Kyoto Animation hold.

It also doesn't help that this year has been pretty weak for them overall. Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV, the vast majority of Gate Season 2, Qualidea Code and even one of my favourite anime of 2016 - Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - all suffered from an overall weaker year from A-1 Pictures with a lot more animation issues than they have previously showcased.

For those reasons, people are understandably worried about A-1 Pictures working on Fate/Apocrypha. It doesn't mean they'll do a bad job, A-1 has a lot of good series under the resume - despite what people like Digibro would argue - but people are worried.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:
So does the light novel is completed or ongoing? Hoping this to be a complete adaptation just like Fate Zero...

The Fate/Apocrypha light novels are a completed series with 5 volumes.

A-1 can probably do all 5 volumes in 2 cours. I'd need to see it in execution to determine if 26 episodes or 52 episodes work better, but it's definitely going to be a long anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm most concerned that the director's only other director credit is Charlotte, however you want to take that. I don't put too too much stock in episode director credits unless the episodes in question were particularly good or at least notably so. I also tend to look at Series Composition but given that it is the LN author themself in that position and their lack of other anime writing positions whatsoever, I have to ask anyone who has read them, are the LN's any good?
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Alright kids, remember that the studio literally doesn't matter because anime is usually a hire-per-show business, so we really need to wait for the staff list in order to make any judgement on how good or bad this could be.

Still, I'm excited. This is one I've wanted to read for a long time, mostly because the premise and list of heroes fighting for each side looks cool as hell. The watch order discussion also doesn't apply to this one... I mean, I hope it doesn't, it's literally an alternate world from the Fate/Zero one, so Stay Night shouldn't have any influence on it either.

FilthyCasual wrote:
A-1 can probably do all 5 volumes in 2 cours. I'd need to see it in execution to determine if 26 episodes or 52 episodes work better, but it's definitely going to be a long anime.

52 episodes aren't a thing that happens anymore, ESPECIALLY for a late night anime. At most it'll get 2 cours (24 eps), and they might easily be split cours if it happens.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Platinumme wrote:

It's already mentioned that it's easier to hate on a studio, but it doesn't help that A-1 is also predominantly made up of a rotating group of creators.

For that reason they've developed a bit of a negative reputation. With a rotating group of creators, there's a lack of the consistency that studios like Bones, Madhouse and Kyoto Animation hold.

It´s not like other studios have done this in the past, so the hate it´s a little bit unwarranted. Take Pierrot for example
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
52 episodes aren't a thing that happens anymore, ESPECIALLY for a late night anime. At most it'll get 2 cours (24 eps), and they might easily be split cours if it happens.

Meanwhile Twin Star Exorcists.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I'm most concerned that the director's only other director credit is Charlotte, however you want to take that. I don't put too too much stock in episode director credits unless the episodes in question were particularly good or at least notably so. I also tend to look at Series Composition but given that it is the LN author themself in that position and their lack of other anime writing positions whatsoever, I have to ask anyone who has read them, are the LN's any good?

They're very fun, with several standout sequences that will look amazing while animated. Some characters stand out more than others - in particular Saber of Red and her Master - but everyone has their own arc/conflict. Apocrypha lacks the thematic consistency and strength that FSN has or the knifelike character incision of Zero, but its statements on immortality are interesting nonetheless.

Also Rider of Black is a treasure who will save anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Via_01 wrote:

Meanwhile Twin Star Exorcists.

zrnzle500 wrote:

They're very fun, with several standout sequences that will look amazing while animated. Some characters stand out more than others - in particular Saber of Red and her Master - but everyone has their own arc/conflict. Apocrypha lacks the thematic consistency and strength that FSN has or the knifelike character incision of Zero, but its statements on immortality are interesting nonetheless.

Also Rider of Black is a treasure who will save anime.

That's good to hear. Hopefully he and the director will translate it into anime form successfully

To your other point TSE is not late night anime.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll happily watch because of Mordred!
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Never really kept up with apocrypha, how good is it compared to stay night and zero?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Yes! A Fate/Apocrypha anime.
I love the manga and i can't wait to watch it.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

It´s not like other studios have done this in the past, so the hate it´s a little bit unwarranted. Take Pierrot for example

Pierrot is most definitely not the best example to use here: to be honest. They are not one of the more respected studios out there and people mostly seem to react negatively whenever Pierrot is announced as the studio behind an anime.

That said, you're right. A-1 Picture is not the only studio to do these things, but they are more of a per-project studio than many of the most respected studios are. It colours the perception of them, and does provide some of the hate.

Unjust: maybe. But it doesn't change the fact that they are relatively well known for their rotating door of creators. It also doesn't prevent any new series from them from being successes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5