• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Hunter x Hunter Voice Actress Erica Mendez

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We did the episode where some of the boys are hustling people in an alley by having Gon compete in arm wrestling matches.

So I'm guessing they've record most of Yorknew or past Yorknew. I wonder if they've started Greed Island yet.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
Erica's a great VA, good interview also well done.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I really like Gon's optimism
Twisted Evil

Good interview. Always great to see fans getting work in the industry they love.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
From what I've watched of the dub, although Megumi Han and Mariya Ise are irreplaceable to me, I do like her voice as Gon, but I'm expecting to see her work particularly in the Chimera Ant arc, that will be the greatest opportunity to shine.

jr240483 wrote:

i kinda doubt that. this IS a shonen jump title after all and considering gon is supposed to be 12 yrs old, the willingness to kill seems unlikely. not to mention that he more or less have the same personality as a young goku and naruto. a lot of fighting spirit, highly naive, too pure hearted for their own good thereby dont or wont have the instinct to kill. so its unlikely that it will actually happen unless someones ends up killing his aunt mito or his dad jin right in front of his eyes ala what happened in fairy tails' tartaros arc, then i can see the killing instinct occuring ,but now? highly unlikely.

Don't know far you're into the anime, but Gon does show killing intent, a good couple of times. Not Killua's style in the sense that he would kill someone in a heartbeat just because, but yeah.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Quote:
Hisoka. Definitely Hisoka.

Damn right you are Laughing

Only thing on the show to creep me out. Very Happy Good interview and has got me intrigued more about Gon.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:
Quote:
We did the episode where some of the boys are hustling people in an alley by having Gon compete in arm wrestling matches.

So I'm guessing they've record most of Yorknew or past Yorknew. I wonder if they've started Greed Island yet.

That's a bit impressive considering that they likely only started to dub the show at the end of 2015. I figured that they were only a few episodes ahead of the Toonami broadcast.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice interview. Been loving her Gon so far. Feels like she really nails his attitude.

She's quickly become one of my new favs, really glad there's about to be more Akko for her to (hopefully) voice with the LWA TV series.

tintor2 wrote:
Quote:
Hisoka. Definitely Hisoka.

Damn right you are Laughing

Haha!

Silverstein's so good in the role too lol.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
@diamoundheadx - Please refrain from baiting or trolling when making posts. It's not conducive to thread discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
That's a bit impressive considering that they likely only started to dub the show at the end of 2015. I figured that they were only a few episodes ahead of the Toonami broadcast.

They seem to be at least one story arc ahead at all times. I remember early on in the Hunter Exam arc airings Kurapika's actress Tweeted they were already working on the Zoldyck Family arc.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:
Quote:

1dbad wrote:
ZeArNkN wrote:

They seem to be at least one story arc ahead at all times. I remember early on in the Hunter Exam arc airings Kurapika's actress Tweeted they were already working on the Zoldyck Family arc.

I remember on Viz Media's Shonen Jump Podcast Episode 151 at 3:14, Erica Mendez mentioned that they started recording the show since early of last year (January 2016), along with the fact that she started doing auditions in December of 2015.
Link: https://youtu.be/mMo9cJWjfN0?t=3m14s

In regards to how many episodes they recorded so far, it varies on the show along with the director's and voice actor's schedule. But from my understanding I would assume that they initially started recording around 4-5 episodes per month of Hunter x Hunter which started of with the Hunter's Exam arc during the 1st four months of last year (January-April 2016), then Erika [Harlacher] tweeted they were right now dubbing the Zoldyck Family arc back in May and presumably around mid-late June 2016, they were about to start dubbing the episodes from the Heaven's Arena arc.

Now I have a feeling that the number of episodes per month may decrease to around 3-4 so that they won't be rushing the show to it's completion and make account for the voice director and voice actor's schedule (particularly Erica Mendez, Cristina Vee, etc...). Now that it's right now January 2017, I would say they are in the final 5-7 episodes (episodes 51-58) of the Yorknew/Phantom Troupe arc, which I believe they started dubbing this arc since September or October of last year. Then they will start recording the episodes for the Greed Island arc in February/March, with the following episodes set to begin airing in July 2017, followed by the Chimera Ant arc in Summer 2017 (Early-mid July 2017) in which the first episodes of the latter arc will begin airing in December 2017 or early January 2018, depending on Toonami's schedule for their Holiday weekend marathons.

Also going back to the article, I'm surprised to see Erica Mendez is starting to do script writing, but is it primarily for live-action shows or for the English versions of a particular anime series Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2