• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This definitely feels like an "off-season b-project" for Studio White Fox
I believe the Masamune is being done by Silver Link instead of White Fox.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Aw darn, it just dawned on me that Urara Maze Town Book being licensed by Sentai doesn't mean that it's a shoe-in for Crunchyroll as it used to. Disappointing as who knows when Sentai will be able to put it up.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(And just wait – an even more annoying character comes in volume three of the manga!)

From the rest of this review, I'm surprised you were willing to read that far.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Masamune-kun's Revenge is a series that I'm not going to watch because the premise is something I don't like in particular Revenge Narratives. Which seem to focus on some the worst and most petty human emotion for the sake of something that to me that frankly feels self-defeating.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
the premise of masamune really caught me back when they announced the anime, so I cheked out the manga ... and it keeps on slowly going downhill, the start is probably the strongest part of it, with very sparse highlights, so well, will be skipping the anime adaptation.

on the other hand, akibastrip is exactly what I expected , if a bit toned down from my initial expectation but still what I expected after the promo maerial came out, a less convoluted punch which moght or not develop a decent plot.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
This definitely feels like an "off-season b-project" for Studio White Fox
I believe the Masamune is being done by Silver Link instead of White Fox.

Ah, my bad. Mistyped. Should be fixed now.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Volumes two and three were on sale and I was curious enough to see where the story went. Now I'm saved from having to watch more episodes of the anime!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I kinda liked Masamune's Revenge and Aki. I mean I probably wouldn't like her if I met someone like her in person, but I didn't hate her, not that I can't see why some would have such a reaction, not wrongly. I didn't really find his sister calling him vain for posing in the mirror that bizarre, though I will give you judgmental, as he seems fairly vain, at least at times. I probably enjoyed Masamune and his antics, internal and external, the most out of everything. While it isn't a great show, I think I will be watching this.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Volumes two and three were on sale and I was curious enough to see where the story went. Now I'm saved from having to watch more episodes of the anime!

I can tell from your review that the show is spiteful and vengeful but how bad are the later volumes?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
What a surprise all the reviewers hated Masuamune-Kim for the fact that everyone is an irredeemable Piece of garbage. We're not really supposed to like Aki or Masamune because their both things people hate about themselves, their rude not-so-nice-people who only care about themselves and their end goals

The whole point of the show is to go against the grain and have the characters be unlikable pieces of crap. Masamune isn't a hero he's just a vengeful dick who only wants to put someone down to make himself feel better, Aki is just a bitch who likes to bully others and all the other characters follow similar trends. I feel like the fact you all hated the characters is exactly the point of it all. It didn't surprise me at all to see the reviewers complain about it, specifically Jacob who I can tell on premise alone would hate this show.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
What a surprise all the reviewers hated Masuamune-Kim for the fact that everyone is an irredeemable Piece of garbage. We're not really supposed to like Aki or Masamune because their both things people hate about themselves, their rude not-so-nice-people who only care about themselves and their end goals

The whole point of the show is to go against the grain and have the characters be unlikable pieces of crap.

So it's essentially the anime version of You're the Worst, which sounds fantastic to me but will probably appeal to no one else.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode of Masamune was pretty good, even if the cliffhanger was weak. The reviewers seem to dislike the episode because they dislike the two main characters, but isn't that more reason to be interested - to watch them inevitably grow?

Also, one of the reviewers questioned why no one has ever reproached Aki, citing her looks as a possible main reason, but it gives the reason in the episode - she's rich and comes from a powerful family. That's a little intimidating when you really think about it. Unless it affected me personally, I wouldn't bother. It's just a nickname, after all.

A little bit of subtlety going on in the episode too, which I was happy to see, though it seems it went unnoticed. And, though I was a bit skeptical about Yoshinos voice, it did grow on me. Thankfully.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I like AkibaStrip since it does the "otaku main character" trope right: Rather than bore and torment the audience with annoying monologues and repeatedly reminding the audience that he is an otaku (this was one of my main criticisms of Subaru from Re:Zero), he actually shows his passion to his hobby in a likeable and funny way. It can make the difference between a likeable and annoying MC, which is hugely important for comedies.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

The whole point of the show is to go against the grain and have the characters be unlikable pieces of crap. Masamune isn't a hero he's just a vengeful dick who only wants to put someone down to make himself feel better, Aki is just a bitch who likes to bully others and all the other characters follow similar trends. I feel like the fact you all hated the characters is exactly the point of it all. It didn't surprise me at all to see the reviewers complain about it, specifically Jacob who I can tell on premise alone would hate this show.

The fact that we're supposed to hate every character is enough to make us hate the whole anime itself. Seeing as those same character's are the reason it exists.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Masumune-kun's plot reminds me of what high school was like. I absolutely don't want to watch a show that makes me think about that. And, oh, I'm sure these self-absorbed cruel and petty people will grow so much during the show! Wow! That sounds so... crappy. I think I'd rather have my non-dominant hand filleted than watch that show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 33