• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime's 1st BD Volume Ranks #2 on Overall Weekly BD Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
So do we think the BD will have some scenes "fixed" to make up for the some of the rushed animation that originally aired? The figure skating looks so great when it's done well, it would really do this series justice.

Missed the many screenshot comparison posts showing that the animation in these episodes has been improved dramatically, have you?

Also, this is ALWAYS the case. Why would you even ask? That's like asking, "So do we think the BD set will include all of the episodes?"
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
so, basically, this is the k-on of fujos ? like, is there another fujo centric anime that sold compaatively as well (besides code geass)
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
so, basically, this is the k-on of fujos ? like, is there another fujo centric anime that sold compaatively as well (besides code geass)

Osomatsu-san, Free!, Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu!!, UtaPri and Tiger and Bunny come to mind. I'm sure I've missed some.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Osomatsu-san, Free!, Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu!!, UtaPri and Tiger and Bunny come to mind. I'm sure I've missed some.

@maximilianjenus: I never would've thought of CG as a "fujo centric anime." It's one of my older brother's favorite series because it's so dramatically plotted and exciting.

@phoenixalia: Well said! Many of my favorite anime in recent years have all been sports anime and yes, they feature UST and good-looking guys to better appeal to certain audiences, but their biggest draw for me was the attention to character arcs, friendships, and the drive inherent to a competitive sport be it a team or solo effort.
KuroBas got me genuinely interested in basketball, while Free! touched me with its story of personal growth and discovery. YoI likewise engaged me with its insecure MC who transformed over the course of the series into a more confident, healthy, and happy individual.

Yuri was able to find his courage and strengthen the friendships he already had, form new ones, and develop from a place of worship towards Victor into one of equal and supportive love. I'm not typically as interested in girls' love titles but I would damn sure have fallen for this series regardless of the characters' genders (had Yuri been a girl or the both of them, the handling of their character arcs would be every bit as amazing and moving).
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
To echo relyat08, you are aware anime is a universal hobby, don't you?

So, "when I do well, it's all me, but when you do well, it's US" still, huh?

BTW, 70% BD and 30% DVD. Still waiting.

No, when a good show does well, mature people are happy for its fans and the industry as a whole. Stop acting like a 5 year old. This isn't an us vs them medium. Or I'd really rather it not be one. Though, of course, more close-minded people like you will try your hardest to segregate us all. It's a good show that appealed to an obviously large audience, including myself, and lots of fujoshi and otaku. All you're doing is making people who don't fit into your target audience feel uncomfortable for liking this show that isn't for them. We don't need more of that.
(and once again, that's still a high ratio of DVDs to BDs. I don't know why you have a stick up your butt about that being a thing. It's just statistics.)
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The amount of mental gymanstics people go through to convince themselves there's a fandom war here is incredible. It's absolutely hysterical up when you think about what kind of praise YOI gets.

"So refreshing to see a non-rapey gay pair (ignore some of Victor's hijinks)" But don't any of you gay men think of saying you're apart of this fandom or success...

"Really cool to see professional skaters take notice!" Unless you're a male skater, in which case you don't count..

I really hope people saying this stuff are just messing around.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine that there is a single anime series that is not a "we" venture on some level. I'm sure that even, oh say, Queen's Blade had at least a few women forking over hard-earned cash to buy the discs. I'm equally sure that Yuri on Ice had at least some level of crossover appeal and that more than a few men paid good money to support it. I'd be foolish to think otherwise.

That's not what my message was about.

Even with whatever level of support it gathered from men--just like with Free!--the point is that not only is it a triumph of a series with a lot of passion and heart, it is also a triumph of the female-oriented anime aesthetic. Anyone is welcome to enjoy said aesthetic. (For example, I know the series is near and dear to many LGBT anime fans because of the relationship between Yuuri and Victor, so I'm not trying to say the series is a "girls' only club.") But that does not take away from the fact that female-taste has traditionally been devalued as something not as "important" or as "worthy" as male anime fans' tastes and values.

Traditionally, female fans are considered "gravy" to male-oriented series. Even series popular with them tend run in male-oriented magazines that are primarily concerned with their core audience. That's why these anime-original series aimed at the female audience are exciting to us--they are serving a previously underrepresented portion of the anime-viewing public.

In another recent thread, I was told by the person that I was originally responding to that the UtaPri sales, with their high BD to DVD ratio "did not count." They were outliers propped up by event ticket raffle sales. (And Love Live isn't...?) Anything TRULY popular with women has closer to a 50/50 split in favor of DVD, and that--coupled with cosplay (?)--proved Free's popularity with male viewers and inflated the BD percentage. This is against ALL information we have about what gender was PRIMARILY interested in Free and supported it.

When Free! was originally announced, I was told that male viewers were catered to because they were the ones driving the sales of anime. Now we have several 30K+ hits driven by women and we're still getting the same old, same old. Pardon me if my patience with that tired rhetoric has become thin in the following years.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
This isn't an us vs them medium.

Uhmmm, excuse me? From the beginning of this thread:

Quote:
Don't worry Micheal this is just slow season since the otaku probably were saving for winter with Fate/Order and others. Fujoshi stuff usually sell well during times when otaku anime are weak or just average like last season

Don't act like this has not been a pervasive mentality in many corners of anime fandom for years. Like we don't get a dozen or so of "oh no more of this fujoshi shit" and fearmongering about how the fujoshi are killing anime every time a groundbreaking show like YOI makes it big. musouka already elaborated it better than I could, but the fact is that female-oriented anime has been subject to bucketloads of hate, with tons upon tons of male otaku downplaying whatever success the female market achieves and trying to claim that success as their own. No one's ever claimed that every single copy was purchased by a woman. What we're claiming and that keeps getting shot down by false narratives and farsical arguments is that shows by and for females can be successful and profitable. We've stood by for years watching people whine about how there was no point catering to the female audience because it was a dead market ("women don't buy anime", so no, no one was acknowledging Madoka or Bake as a "we" success). And of course, now that anime made for women is becoming undeniably successful, this "we effort" narrative is conveniently popping up everywhere (and that's if we're lucky, because ven last week we still had people claiming that Free's success was due to the male audience)
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
This isn't an us vs them medium.

Uhmmm, excuse me? From the beginning of this thread:

Quote:
Don't worry Micheal this is just slow season since the otaku probably were saving for winter with Fate/Order and others. Fujoshi stuff usually sell well during times when otaku anime are weak or just average like last season

Don't act like this has not been a pervasive mentality in many corners of anime fandom for years....

Maybe you'd like to read my first comment where I specifically called that asshat out?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
^So if you're aware that people like that are prone to pop up in literally every discussion about this topic, how can you claim "there is no us vs them mentality"? The hardcore otaku that vowed to boycott KyoAni for doing a fujoshi show sure didn't feel very "we" about this issue.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't claim there is no us vs them mentality. I said that mentality shouldn't be the nature of this medium.

CrowLia wrote:
^So if you're aware that people like that are prone to pop up in literally every discussion about this topic, how can you claim "there is no us vs them mentality"? The hardcore otaku that vowed to boycott KyoAni for doing a fujoshi show sure didn't feel very "we" about this issue.

Did you miss my very next sentence?

relyat08 previously wrote:
This isn't an us vs them medium. Or I'd really rather it not be one.

I never said the mentality doesn't exist. It clearly does. But it doesn't have to. And only will as long as we perpetuate this nonsense. Mentally 5 year old boys will only respond to retaliation by slinging more mud.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I never said the mentality doesn't exist. It clearly does. But it doesn't have to. And only will as long as we perpetuate this nonsense. Mentally 5 year old boys will only respond to retaliation by slinging more mud.

Considering that I was requested to call Stuart out--"If YOI doesnt have a large DVD showing then feel free to call me out on it and I'll admit I was wrong, but the trend suggests it will.", where "large" was defined by Free ratios (60/40 and 63/37)--then it's not "nonsense." It's not allowing people to parrot the same arguments against women having clout on the industry.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Considering that I was requested to call Stuart out--"If YOI doesnt have a large DVD showing then feel free to call me out on it and I'll admit I was wrong, but the trend suggests it will.", where "large" was defined by Free ratios (60/40 and 63/37)--then it's not "nonsense." It's not allowing people to parrot the same arguments against women having clout on the industry.

What was Stuart's argument? That women and mainstream popular shows sell more DVDs? I don't understand what about that is possibly offensive. And it doesn't say anything about who has clout in the industry. This is the kind of thing that doesn't even matter. There is a statistical slant, but it's not 100% consistent, and it really doesn't matter anyway. It's just more of a curiosity than anything. YOI does have a higher DVD to BD ratio than average(pretty close to 70-30 if my math is right) and certainly higher than shows with no appeal to women or mainstream audiences, but beyond being an interesting stat, none of this matters at all.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Traditionally, female fans are considered "gravy" to male-oriented series. Even series popular with them tend run in male-oriented magazines that are primarily concerned with their core audience. That's why these anime-original series aimed at the female audience are exciting to us--they are serving a previously underrepresented portion of the anime-viewing public.
Has there ever been confirmation these shows are aimed at only women or is it conjecture? What stops YoI from being aimed at skating fans or sports fans in general? Or let's even go one step further and say why not aimed at gay men? The thing is this mindset also gets applied to shounen adaptions like Haikyu and Osomatau-san. So you have to expect people will call others out on it. If we were talking about shoujo or otome adaptions it'd be different.

And let's be fair, when there's comments like "We did it girls", "fujoshi saving the industry", and "that'll show people who say women dont buy anime" and other comments that infer only girls bought something, it's only natural there will be a push back.

Quote:
Considering that I was requested to call Stuart out--"If YOI doesnt have a large DVD showing then feel free to call me out on it and I'll admit I was wrong, but the trend suggests it will."[/url], where "large" was defined by Free ratios (60/40 and 63/37)--then it's not "nonsense." It's not allowing people to parrot the same arguments against women having clout on the industry.

Yes, but 15K is a large showing, though. Not even the series which passed 50K total sales like Madoka sold that many DVDs.

-Stuart Smith
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

And let's be fair, when there's comments like "We did it girls", "fujoshi saving the industry", and "that'll show people who say women dont buy anime" and other comments that infer only girls bought something, it's only natural there will be a push back.

Let's be even more fair and say that when you have to deal with years after years of "women don't buy anime" "it's not like women made this show successful" "this (fujoshi fanservice laden) show was actually a shonen, never aimed at women at all, that's why it sold well" "there's no point in doing more anime aimed at women" "women aren't relevant in the industry" "fujoshis are ruining anime" then it's only natural to have a repeated and very vocal push back

Quote:

What was Stuart's argument? That women and mainstream popular shows sell more DVDs?

The argument is "Women don't buy BD and therefore it's not women making shows like Free or Yuri on Ice successful and in fact they were never aimed at women to begin with because women aren't relevant to the industry".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5