• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oricon Raises Yuri!! on Ice's 1st-Week Sales Figures From 35,589 to 50,878

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Not to mention how she fangirls over them a bit on Twitter (like associating them with Japanese romance dramas) and at one point, before episode 9/10, seemed to hint at how she'd like to see them married. She's even favorited some tweets before that commended her for showing this kind of relationship.

Also, I'm calling bull on the Yuri being more popular than Victor and Yuuri thing. Not only do all JP character polls say the opposite, but from those I know who constantly interact with the JP fanbase, they do say that Victuuri is incredibly popular and that while Russian Yuri is also quite popular on his own, he is still behind them.

I forgot the source but Kubo herself admitted that Yuri alone wouldn't have been able to carry the show in the way that Victor and Yuuri do, so although he is technically an MC, they don't have plans to make him the main/only one.

Last edited by #863989 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
And there's also this translation of a recently published interview in which she says things such as "[Victor and Yuuri] can't live without each other" and that her favorite scene to be animated was [the kiss] in episode 7 and they worked really hard in building the emotional momentum towards it so it felt natural.

Here is a full translation of that interview, which I find more informative than snippets of sentences pulled a little out of context. The "can't live without/irreplaceable to each other" bit is from the third question/response.

The discussion about ep7 I think relyat08 refers to is the second-to-last question/response. My interpretation is not that she was "confused" about overseas fans' need for clarification, but more amused that they were bold enough to ask rather than just interpreting for themselves and being satisfied with that. Just before it she says, "As for me, I don’t want to say “this is what actually happened” and force an interpretation on people."

It's all an interesting read, and I am happy that this kind of content from the creators and producers is getting translated so we can read it! Most of my favourite series are manga without huge followings, so falling in love with this show has been a different and exciting experience for me :)
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

The discussion about ep7 I think relyat08 refers to is the second-to-last question/response. My interpretation is not that she was "confused" about overseas fans' need for clarification, but more amused that they were bold enough to ask rather than just interpreting for themselves and being satisfied with that. Just before it she says, "As for me, I don’t want to say “this is what actually happened” and force an interpretation on people."

Yeah, I think that's a better interpretation. And still fits into the idea that Japanese fans don't need things constantly spelled out for them.
I wrote that comment when I was simultaneously very busy and very tired, so I didn't really express what I wanted to exactly. But the gist of it is still there. This show wasn't made with "BL" as a marketing ploy no matter how you slice it. That stuff was all integral to what the show is about at its core.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. There was an interview where Kubo said that during the planning stage she and Sayo started to make a story about non-romantic bonds between athletes in general but eventually that certain characters "evolved on their own" and so they just decided to go with it [the romance].
It happened because the narrative called for it, and even they themselves seemed to enjoy making it and seeing it. I think that's why it feels so natural and integrated in the story too. The show speaks for itself.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
FWIW Victor was #1 in Animage's poll. Not that polls are reliable or accurate since they're suspectable to cheating and bias. Hell, a girl made #4 in the Best Boy list.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, online polls are typically very flawed. I know some polls allow multiple votes if it is on different days, and things like that as well. And of course the audience is self-selected, so who knows how accurate it is.

#863989 wrote:
I think that's why it feels so natural and integrated in the story too. The show speaks for itself.

I certainly think that's primarily why I fell in love with it. It's not the type of story that I typically consume, honestly, but I fell in love with them all and the chemistry between Yuri and Victor was just outstanding. There was nothing at all about it that was forced. (I can gush about this for quite a while.)
lonergirl90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Incredible! I guess you can say YIO were born to make history! Congrats to everyone who got involved in the series. You guys deserve all the recommendation you work hard on.

And I am sensing a second season Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3