• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tezuka Manga for Grown-Ups

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Damn, Tezuka was a lot cooler than I thought. It's less the "adult" nature of these works and more the psychological nature that impresses me.

Jose Cruz wrote:
@Ggultra2764, I guess those movies are regarded as bad stuff.

I believe the only really well regarded anime film from before the mid to late 1970's was Takahata's Horus:(1968).

This is not true. The third movie of the three is regarded as a lost classic, and having seen it, I have to agree. However, Tezuka had no involvement in it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
I love Phoenix, but I do wish it was easier getting the volumes.

Yeah, I consider myself lucky to have gotten all the print editions of Phoenix when it was still fairly plentiful, and even then I had to go a couple places online to get volumes 1 and 2 of "Sun". For now, at least we have digital I guess. Pity that Viz still has the license for this title, and botched it so badly; Vertical would have treated it so much better.

Related: Buddha is really great too, but treads a lot of the same ground as Phoenix.
Misopup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk/index1.htm

Annual event in Gloucester UK.
The Anime world really needs to get on board with this innovative and exciting sport!
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Living in Gloucester as I do, I can tell you that Cooper's Hill is really, really steep. I don't think I'd ever want to actually participate in the cheese rolling.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Forgetting volumes of Tezuka manga, I need help getting some damned double Gloucester cheese. I love the stuff, but it's rarely offered the United States. They should roll it down that hill straight into my mouth!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I would totally be on board for a battle shounen about cheese rolling.
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
As shown by a quick Google search, Crater ran in a shonen mag. Phoenix ran in multiple mags, but that included a shonen mag and a shoujo one for the vert first story in the 50s. They're not even that much "edgier" than Black Jack & Astro Boy at their most messed up; I mean, Astro Boy even had dead Vietnamese children. And then Alabaster is full of messed up stuff and is overall an insanely depressive and misanthropic story; that one was shonen too.

Book of Human Insects has some fun creative moments but overall it's the weakest and probably least thematically insightful Tezuka manga I've read. Didn't really say anything beyond "complete selfish freedom and mindless subservience are both bad" - it felt like it was going to go somewhere but then it just... ended.

I think it's not a very good idea to even consider whether a work was made for kids or teens or adults when reading Tezuka unless it's an educational manga or made for really small kids or something like that (like the short Astro Boy stories in the 80s featured in the later English volume releases). His "adult" works can have the same flaws as his child and teen-targeted ones, like ham-handed redundancy - Message to Adolf was made for adults and yet the characters just saying "IS IT NOT IRONIC THAT THE ONCE-OPPRESSED JEWS ARE NOW OPPRESSING MUSLIMS??" makes it feel like it was written for children. And yet that manga is still worth reading because the visual execution is great and, while delivered in an in-your-face-way, it still has a pretty fantastic message about bigotry and how omnipresent it is among humanity. It even criticizes Japan's treatment of white foreigners.

And then "kiddy" stuff like Astro Boy also has some really insightful themes in it and can make great use of robots as allegories and the amount of iconic, influential creativity in it is nuts. It's neither more nor less mature than Adolf as far as I'm concerned.

Mewzard wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'd like to be able to hold forth on The Crater but... ugh....

Not to worry, Digital Manga is releasing the Crater as a bonus after their last Kickstarter succeeded. Digital Manga has released all the Tezuka manga they've Kickstarted thus far, so no worries there.

I don't understand why all these already-scanlated-by-fans series keep getting picked up by publishers instead of iconic works that have no English version. I've wanted to read Kimba since forever. I get wanting to own stuff but the non-translated works should come first.

"But there's an anime and you can watch that!" - yeah, nah. Tezuka excelled at telling a story through comics so I want to experience the story in manga form as opposed to long-ass TV anime form.

Jose Cruz wrote:
@Ggultra2764, I guess those movies are regarded as bad stuff.

I believe the only really well regarded anime film from before the mid to late 1970's was Takahata's Horus:(1968).

"Well regarded" by whom? Horus is fun, but also a mess with serious production issues that feels like a chunk of the story is missing and its characterization comes nowhere near the later Takahata stuff from the 80s onwards. Something like Animal Treasure Island is better at being a super light kids' adventure film than Horus is at being something more epic and grand.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:

This is not true. The third movie of the three is regarded as a lost classic, and having seen it, I have to agree. However, Tezuka had no involvement in it.

Japan didn't like Cleopatra but 101 Nights was successful. I'm kinda torn about it; it seems like it exists mainly to have fun visuals, and I'm fine with that, but the "pretty, artsy and classy" style used for a bunch of the designs I personally find awful. LIke the lady on the right here: https://assets.mubi.com/images/film/93594/image-w1280.jpg?1445917688

The cartoony & trippy moments are great.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I would totally be on board for a battle shounen about cheese rolling.

That would be very interesting or an OEL manga about cricket
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2