• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuki Kajiura's Hollywood Sword Art Online Concert Cancelled Due to Visa Issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised by the cancellation being attributed to visa issues. The concert was announced back in June or July of last year so they'd have had several months to get that taken care of. It also wouldn't have been her first international performance so the concept of a business class visa shouldn't have been foreign to her. Either someone dropped the ball immensely, leading to this, or someone travelling with her that was important to the show was refused entry into the US.

Alternatively, she needed to back out and this was the excuse that they went with.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Visa issues?! I have to wait for more details because if an event is planned almost eight to nine months ahead, there gotta be some pretty serious problems arise for a traveling visa issue.

On the other hand, I felt really really bad for the ticket buyers and genuinely everyone who looking forward to this performance, including Kajiura-sensei herself. Hopefully the rest of 2017 will turn out to be better
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Real glad I didn't spend hundreds of plane tickets and hotel reservations to see this.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
@Tempest did a visa recommendation for a "major artist" recently. Even if that's just coincidental, I'd be interested to see his take on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
You'd be surprised how many conventions believe performers can come in under the visa waiver program. Some cons do follow the law, but others, either because they don't know or don't want to pay the money because they don't think they'll get caught, don't bother getting one. It's always funny when you read these types of articles, and the convention acting all surprised because they didn't think it would occur. Anime and manga fans do work for the government, and a stat is a stat.
Bastille

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
You'd be surprised how many conventions believe performers can come in under the visa waiver program. Some cons do follow the law, but others, either because they don't know or don't want to pay the money because they don't think they'll get caught, don't bother getting one. It's always funny when you read these types of articles, and the convention acting all surprised because they didn't think it would occur. Anime and manga fans do work for the government, and a stat is a stat.

This wasn't a convention though. It was, or at least was supposed to be, a proper concert at an auditorium. It's certainly possible but Aniplex would have needed to have been subjected to lobotomies to forget that critical element, given that this is not some wild unknown territory for them.

If Aniplex are at fault though, I can only imagine how livid Aniplex of America would be. They'll be the ones taking public criticism for it while the true fault would be their parent company, who probably kept assuring them that everything was fine and being taken care of.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Although the organisers may not wish to reveal even the non-personal details of the visa issues, if there is to be a re-scheduled concert, it would be good for the organisers to provide information to give people confidence in not just buying tickets but scheduling leave, travel and accommodation in order to attend.
mierin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That is a huge bummer for the people who had already bought tickets for the concert. I would have been devastated.

Is this concert organized by Aniplex or Aniplex of America? Either way, I don't know if the people who bought tickets and accommodation for the concert can accept such an excuse.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:

This wasn't a convention though. It was, or at least was supposed to be, a proper concert at an auditorium. It's certainly possible but Aniplex would have needed to have been subjected to lobotomies to forget that critical element, given that this is not some wild unknown territory for them.

If Aniplex are at fault though, I can only imagine how livid Aniplex of America would be. They'll be the ones taking public criticism for it while the true fault would be their parent company, who probably kept assuring them that everything was fine and being taken care of.

I understand that, but it is similar to how many conventions operate, hence why I brought it up. I've met several Aniplex USA staff, and really, it couldn't happen to nicer people. The way they treat fans at conventions is a shame, so while I feel bad for those who planned on going (and made travel arrangements that they can't get out of to attend), it's nice to see Aniplex get burned like this. Of course, they'll just increase the fees of the next premium release to make up the funds for it.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
There were some people travelling from places like Hong Kong and Germany to attend this concert. Spare a thought for them.
c933103

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by the cancellation being attributed to visa issues. The concert was announced back in June or July of last year so they'd have had several months to get that taken care of. It also wouldn't have been her first international performance so the concept of a business class visa shouldn't have been foreign to her. Either someone dropped the ball immensely, leading to this, or someone travelling with her that was important to the show was refused entry into the US.

Alternatively, she needed to back out and this was the excuse that they went with.

On her blog, she said they have prepared for the application fully and early and none of their performer encounter visa issue in US/Japan before.
Also it seems like in foscal year 2013, an American visa application from a Japanese national have about 10% refusal rate.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
I would be a bit suspicious of the excuse given, but it places the blame pretty squarely on Aniplex themselves, so maybe it's actually the truth?

We might really have the US immigration office to blame here for refusing visas to Kajiura or one of her other main performers for some reason. They might have dragged out the rejection making a re-petition happen too late, perhaps.

Either that or someone really did drop the ball in a gigantic way when they were applying, which I can't see happening really... Getting visas for concert performers is like 101 of this sort of thing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Aw what? Oh come on, seriously? I was totally looking forward to this.

Something smells pretty rotten here. I wonder what it could be.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
Very unfortunate for those that were wanting to go. If I was in the area, I definitely would have gone. I'm just as baffled as everyone else over it being a visa issue. I'm guessing it was someone pivotal to the performance failed a background check somehow and couldn't get a visa. It would have been nice to have said something sooner about the cancellation, but I would think they were trying to get it worked out until the last possible moment.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
I would think it would be the organizers fault. Probably waited to long to submit the required paperwork.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2