• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Flip Flappers Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
The review sums up my feelings on the show pretty well. While I personally feel it didn't quite meet the high bar I set for it, in the end it was still a visually and thematically inspired show with some laudable aspirations that it couldn't always quite reach, and one of my personal favorites of last year. I hope to see more from the director as well as the rest of the staff in the future, as they clearly showed off a lot of talent and potential that the industry can always use more of. And I definitely hope the show's lackluster sales figures don't prevent them from doing more interesting stuff like this.

Also, yeah, that ED is wonderful. Hands down the best of 2016. And if it weren't for Mob Psycho 100 existing, it'd probably have the best animation of 2016 as well (and yeah, the majority of the last quarter's step-down in quality does hurt it a bit in that regard).
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Jesus Christ. People cant take a joke. You people are worse then Reddit.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
[quote="AnimeFlyz"]Jesus Christ. People cant take a joke. You people are worse then Reddit.[/quote

So what's the punchline, that you love to spam troll comments.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So what's the punchline, that you love to spam troll comments.

How was what I said a troll comment. I was making a joke about the fact that Flip Flappers sold so poorly while an overrated show like Yuri On Ice did amazing, selling 60,000+. You can pretty much say that Flip Flappers Flopped. Also learn how to actually use the quote system.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I liked Flip Flappers, but I really wanted to like this show more than I did. While I enjoyed the first episodes, there was a lingering feeling that something was missing that never really went away. This show just didn't truly click with me, I guess. I still think it's a good show, and I had a lot of fun with it, and it had several standout episodes, but the answers given in the final act were cliche, the visuals degraded, the villain was poorly written and uninspired, and the Evangelion references got a little too distracting and tacked-on. Also, one of my biggest issues is that I don't think Cocona needed to go on those adventures. The foundation the series is built on is Cocona's character progression and dealing with her adolescence. However, I never really got the sense that she was unhappy or unfulfilled in life, so the idea that she was, and thus needed to go on these adventures, rang a bit hollow.

In spite of all these negatives though, I did quite enjoy the first 3/4 of the show, and the actual finale was pretty good. So, I'd give it like a B overall.
I was pondering on the best way to convey my complicated sentiment for the show, but it seems like you summed it up much better than I ever could.

Despite my appreciation for the show's unique approach to visual storytelling and characterizarion, it felt for the majority of the first half like it was keeping its cards too close to its chest and by the same occasion, keeping me too often at arm's length to really get me emotionally invested in the events unfolding and the characters. I thought we were on the right track after episode 6 but every episode past 9 further exacerbated the issues and worries I had early on regarding the show and somewhere along the way it just kinda lost me, so much that I had no idea what to write in the EP. Review thread until the (thankfully decent) finale.

There was a lot to dig in with the show's symbolism and multiple references to Western psychology, art and scientific theories, but even those seemed to lack a clear direction and message to convey to its audience and as such, felt more like extra material for the people interested in the deeper layers of Flip Flappers' world than something organically integrated into the show's narrative or characters (at least until the show tried -and succeeded in, but to a very limited degree imo- to the best of its ability to tie back most of these elements together in its last third).

All that being said, I still thought the show was good for the major part of its run and even excellent in its best moments, but all-in-all I think FliFla is better appreciated as a collection of whimsical and sometimes fascinating vignettes than as the cohesive whole it attempted to be. Nonetheless, I'm still looking forward for more of Oshiyama's works in the future, next time hopefully on a show that allows him to fully express his vision without any kind of restrictions or other hurdles on the production side of things.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how we're supposed to get from

AnimeFlyz wrote:
Its a shame that this great show did so terrible in sales over in Japan. The Japanese show once again that they have shit taste.

to

AnimeFlyz wrote:
Flip Flappers sold so poorly while an overrated show like Yuri On Ice did amazing

without you explaining the joke, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, given the fact that several members of the thread didn't even get that you were trying to be humorous, I would rethink your assertion that people on this site "can't take a joke".

AnimeFlyz wrote:
Also learn how to actually use the quote system.

Ugh. How uncouth.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
without you explaining the joke, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, given the fact that several members of the thread didn't even get that you were trying to be humorous, I would rethink your assertion that people on this site "can't take a joke".

The whole "Japan has shit taste" joke has been around forever since people know that they are obsessed with shows like Love Live and stuff. Its a joke that has been used all over the anime community. Forgive me if I assumed that people in the comments could realize this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:

The whole "Japan has shit taste" joke has been around forever since people know that they are obsessed with shows like Love Live and stuff. Its a joke that has been used all over the anime community. Forgive me if I assumed that people in the comments could realize this.
] Well I am used to seeing people use the people have shit taste comment, and actually mean it. And I don't get how it is a joke, you didn't say it in a joking manner or make fun of it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
I watched Flip Flappers today, and I was very impressed by it. It is a very unique experience, and the visuals are top notch. I am very glad that Sentai was able to license this gem; I hope they dub it and do a nice release because I plan to buy it on BD.

MarshalBanana wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Its a shame that this great show did so terrible in sales over in Japan. The Japanese show once again that they have shit taste.
Just because they didn't buy a show you like? If there is a show out there that I like and you don't like, would that mean that you have shit tastes?

I concur with AnimeFlyz; Japanese otaku have shit taste. Flip Flappers is not an isolated case; every year there are a handful of anime shows that are considered of high quality by Western critics and fans, but its sales in Japan bomb.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Just because they didn't buy a show you like? If there is a show out there that I like and you don't like, would that mean that you have shit tastes?

I concur with AnimeFlyz; Japanese otaku have shit taste. Flip Flappers is not an isolated case; every year there are a handful of anime shows that are considered of high quality by Western critics and fans, but its sales in Japan bomb.
Well apparently he was only joking. How is that a bad thing? All it means is their tastes don't line up with our tastes, hell they may of even liked, just not enough to buy to on home release for all we know. How many shows have you seen, liked but not brought. it is not like all of the shows that sell in the west are all highly rated. And being considered high quality didn't mean it had high streaming numbers.

Remember that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which is considered of high quality in the west, is only being made because it is very popular over there.
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I'd be curious to know what the TV ratings were like for the first few episodes... I wonder whether by being too cryptic with the symbolism in the first three episodes, the average Japanese otaku maybe decided TL;DR and abandoned the show?

A break-down of the per-disc sales in Japan would also be interesting -- I'm really curious whether the Yuniko Ayana episodes will sell more units than the ones without her.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
As a rule of thumb the first volumes sell more (or are reported to sell more by Oricon, anyway) than later ones, with very few exceptions, regardless of arc 'quality'.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I was really shocked when the writer left the series and the subsequent commentary was about "how bad" this wonderful gem of a show was. Between this series and Kaiba having really poor DVD sales (I have one of the 500 copies of Kaiba that was sold), I really do think that my taste and the taste of Japanese fans is pretty different.

This show and Kaiba are more like "arthouse" stuff (surrealistic and symbolic style of art). Arthouse stuff doesn't appeal to the masses of any country, so poor sales are expected.

Nothing to do with "shit taste": in every country the masses dislike more symbolic and less simple stuff. The same applies to Japan, where top sellers are simple comedies like Osomatsu and fujoshi stuff like Yuri on Ice. The "otaku" mentioned in the thread appear to have more "common fan" tastes rather than more sophisticated tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I bought the LE but have not had a chance to look at the book. Also, the BD's come in a DVD case, and thus the chipboard box is DVD tall, in case anyone is wondering. Like I said before Flip Flappers is a great show, and fans of it should be pleased by this Limited Edition release from Sentai.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
This LE set was criminally discounted during the recent Sentai sale (75% off!), so it's waiting on my coffee table for me to finally get around to finishing. It's a beautiful box to be sure, can't wait to dive in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3