• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Flip Flappers Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
This video briefly touches on how Flip Flappers was produced
https://youtu.be/PIUWZcZZHqw?t=7m25s
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
The show's writing in the last part is definitely a mess. I was waiting for a touching emotional backstory on why Papika is so obsessed with Cocona and we didn't get that; we got something so utterly ridiculous spoiler["You gave me food!"] that Papika might as well just be Cocona's pet dog. But if that doesn't work for you, there's always the fan-favorite spoiler[ "I love you because you're my friend's (possibly past lover's but who really knows) daughter and you look just like her."]
Eugh! THAT'S NOT HOW LOVE WORKS!! Don't insult my brain, you.....you....anime....thing. It doesn't help that Papika acts so much more like a mentally delayed five-year-old, that pairing her with a moody, insecure teenager feels really incompatible and awkward.

If this show really wanted to be a super romantic girls' love story..........it failed on an epic scale. It does have other strengths....and I liked watching it but it's not something I'd ever consider buying. It would have been much better to remove the "romantic" aspect and focus purely on friendship and family.

That being said, the ED sequence was my absolute fave of 2016 and I never ever ever skipped it. xD
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see another original anime with this same staff and studio cause Flip Flappers was one hell of a treat two years back even tho it stumbled a bit in the finale. My AOTY 2016.

{Edit}:Leave out the insults. Especially when referencing a post a year old. ~ Psycho 101
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I didn't watch it while it was airing, have Sentai said anything about a dub?

Dubbed and streaming on HiDive, has been for a couple of months, I think...?

Anyway, good show. I think the "vagueness" in the rendering of the plot was a stylistic choice, kinda matching the animation choices. I'm happy with an artist doing things a bit differently once in a while.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I remember loving it at the beginning but not being very impressed with the ending, so I have no desire to own the series, but the book sure does sound interesting. The lenticular box art is really neat as well.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's a lot of new content on this update to the review. I'm used to like, 1 paragraph.
movie_buff36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that i bought the vol 1 from Japan and also the standard bluray edition from Sekai. Kinda sad there were less merchandise from this anime..
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Fell in love with the show instantly and very soon after watching through it I bought the special edition. First half is definitely the stronger part of the show, but I was still with it throughout.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3