• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Launches Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, this new service picks up the rights to Doraemon from Disney Anime hyper. The manga is already an Amazon exclusive.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about having to get another subscription but the conspicuous lack of availability in the US of the formerly placeholdered titles makes sense now. I guess it's a good thing I already dropped my Funi subscription.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Woah, hold it. So my Amazon Prime subscription only entitles me to pay for another subscription? No thanks. If it was under the Amazon Prime flagship like prior Amazon-exclusive streaming titles were then I'd be happy to use their streaming service to view their seasonal exclusive anime. Having the backlog collection be a subscription service is understandable, but the brand new simulcasts should definitely be under Amazon Prime itself like how Iron Fortress was streamed.

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
I will likely try out this service since I want to watch Scum's Wish and The Great Passage. However, I already have Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, Funimaton, and Netflix. I think a better way to do this would be to include it in Amazon Prime like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and Battery. Amazon could also do the five dollars a month subscription for people who don't have Amazon Prime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused ... does this mean that all of Amazon's anime titles will be available through Anime Strike or will they be split between it and Prime? Also, to get Strike do you need to be a member of Prime first? Probably a moot point since I'm in Canada and God knows how long it will take to get Anime Strike here or even if we will get it.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a bit confused ... does this mean that all of Amazon's anime titles will be available through Anime Strike or will they be split between it and Prime? Also, to get Strike do you need to be a member of Prime first? Probably a moot point since I'm in Canada and God knows how long it will take to get Anime Strike here or even if we will get it.

I'm assuming it works like any of there other video subscriptions so that would mean you need to be a prime member.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
*looks at logo*

Hmmm....

Quote:
Amazon Strike is also streaming a variety of older and classic anime including Akira, Paprika, Akame ga KILL!, Btooom!, and Death Note.

Something is wrong with that sentence.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Luckily for Canada right now, Scum's Wish and all the other Amazon exclusive anime on Strike appear to be part of the basic Amazon Prime Video package. Who knows how long it will last, but it's something at least.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Unless I'm missing something I can just get the titles they have and more at places I already sub at. As of now it does not seem worth the extra cash for the very few they get exclusive rights to. But maybe there planning on expanding more who knows.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
I get enough out of Prime by itself not to be too bummed about double dipping, but if one was a monthly Prime Video subscriber who only watches anime, this would be just awful.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
Hooray for more fragmentation in the market!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Was hoping Amazon would have the sense to do an anime streaming service separate from Prime, but nope, let's double down on the silliness. I like the noitaminA block, but not enough for Prime+subscription.
SNaGem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
What, I have to pay another $5 a month in addition to what I already pay to watch just one or two series? If I'm understanding it right, that's terrible. Effectively it's a $13.25/month subscription to watch some anime too. Why couldn't they do it like Kabaneri? You're paying to pay more? Screw that.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray for more fragmentation in the market!

Well, on the bright side it's only at worst returning us to the pre Crunchy-Funi tieup state from last year.

Not too bad if you're already a Prime member (not as good as having it included, though I would assume that the cost of Prime memberships in the first place are different in different countries), annoying if you only want this but not the rest of Prime, because it appears like there's no way of getting the smaller anime-only bundle without the rest of what's bundled into Prime.

For a long time it has been the inevitable endgame of the streaming revolution. Aside from a few things like the death of massive sports rights payouts as heterogeneous preferences kill the all in one bundle, the end result isn't going to be all that amazingly different from cable TV (aside from the on-demand features.)
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Having the backlog collection be a subscription service is understandable, but the brand new simulcasts should definitely be under Amazon Prime itself like how Iron Fortress was streamed.

Huh, interesting, my initial reaction would be that the opposite would seem to make more sense. I'm not sure that either of us have great justification, but subscription services make the most sense (for Amazon) when you want to watch something as it's coming out. Otherwise someone could sign up for a month and binge backlog like crazy and then cancel. It's easier to get those ongoing subscriptions when there's a little something new every month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10