Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KONOSUBA - God's blessing on this wonderful world! 2


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15899
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Agreed with zrnzle500 on this. Kazuma definitely has his good points, yes, but there are definitely times when he acts like a dick and it's definitely not always pushback on the way he's treated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 3999
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, watch the OVA and then tell me that Kazuma is an extremely reasonable dude. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
Blood- wrote:
You are that guy who loves posting like an obnoxious jerk.


And you are the guy who thinks he is right just because he wrote something and switches to ad hominem attack when he can't support his point with logic. Nice start with name calling.


Noting that you post like a dick is not an ad hominem attack, it's a verifiable observation. It's not as if I'm saying, "your argument has no validity because you post like a dick." For example, you saying that I had made up my own special definition of what chuunibyo means when quite clearly I was using the definition provided by shows like Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! is a dick move. I also see from this thread that I am not the only poster who thinks you post like a jerk, so you can't even claim this observation is unique to me.



NPC wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Nah, I didn't make up a definition for chuunibyo that only I use. I provided a definition that I am familiar with and which I believe many people here would agree with. If that definition is wrong, then what is the definition as you understand it?


I gave you the link, you can click on it. You are free to check other dictionaries if you don't trust this one. Also, you are avoiding rather important point that the name of the episode is "An Explosion for This Chuunibyo!". How come?


The definition provided in your link is pretty limited. It doesn't even refer to the definition of chuunibyo that viewers of shows like Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! are familiar with: namely, somebody who believes they have supernatural powers. Here's a definition from the Urban Dictionary:

Quote:
A Japanese slang term which roughly translates to "Middle School 2nd Year Syndrome". People with chuunibyou either act like a know-it-all adult and look down on real ones, or believe they have special powers unlike others.


As for the fact that the word is included in the episode title, so what? Comedic shows often use titles for comedic effect. There could be a title like "The Huge Jerk Posts at ANN" and it's about a guy who is actually super polite. The gag then becomes that he's referred to as a huge jerk. Now, admittedly, I know that KonoSuba wasn't doing that. Personally, until this thread, I hadn't realized that chuunibyo could also refer to somebody who acts like a "know-it-all." I thought it just referred to people who claimed to have supernatural powers (for example) but who obviously didn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
NPC



Joined: 21 Sep 2016
Posts: 56
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I'm not saying he's a villain but more of a "I love you man but you can be kind of a dick sometimes."


Which pretty much describes every single non-fictional person. There is one "all good", as you put it, character in the show, Wiz (as far as we know anyway). She is adorable but not particularly funny. I am not saying comedy about such character can't be done but I find it hard to imagine.


Blood- wrote:
Noting that you post like a dick is not an ad hominem attack,


It is extremely thinly veiled ad hominem attack. If I wrote that you post like <censored>, <censored>, and <censored>, it would be just a way to work around forum rules and invalidate your point of view without resorting to facts and logic.

Quote:
It's not as if I'm saying, "your argument has no validity because you post like a dick."


This is exactly what you implied. If you can argue the point - do it, if you can't - don't start to "make observations" about opponent, just admit it.

Quote:
For example, you saying that I had made up my own special definition of what chuunibyo means when quite clearly I was using the definition provided by shows like Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! is a dick move.


Nope. The mentioned show USES the term, it doesn't DEFINE it. Feel the difference? The term existed for years before the show was made. You making it a definitive source for the term means that you arbitrarily assign the meaning to the word. I simply pointed out this trivial fact. It is an inexcusable offense to you. Well, sucks to be you.

Quote:
I also see from this thread that I am not the only poster who thinks you post like a jerk, so you can't even claim this observation is unique to me.


So far you are the only one. zrnzle500 was relying on your assertion for some reason. The only thing he possible could consider a jab is my joke about him repeating exactly my point as his own and I definitely didn't try to offend him. As he mentioned, it was a misunderstanding. He made his points, I made mine. We didn't come to agreement, but these things happen, I can live with it.

Quote:
The definition provided in your link is pretty limited. It doesn't even refer to the definition of chuunibyo that viewers of shows like Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! are familiar with: namely, somebody who believes they have supernatural powers. Here's a definition from the Urban Dictionary:


"It doesn't even refer to the definition" - why would it? It would be ridiculous, it is just one case of many. Urban dictionary is not exactly an authoritative source on Japanese slang. The definition that you prefer is much longer then you quoted though:

Quote:
... There are 3 main types of Chuunibyou. ...


Only one of 3 main (in authors' humble opinion) types mentions supernatural powers. And these are the "main types" which means there are other, not main, types, and very likely, single cases that are types of their own. So, your attempt to say "has powers - can't be chuunibyou" is not supported by this dictionary either. Keep looking.

Quote:
As for the fact that the word is included in the episode title, so what? Comedic shows often use titles for comedic effect.


Anime authors directly call the character chuunibyo (none of other episode names is a joke). So does LN. So does character description in wikipedia. So did Theron Martin both in this thread and in his episode review. But they are all wrong because Blood- knows better what this word actually means. Sounds pretty delusional to me. Do you have other special powers then knowing everything and being always right?

Quote:
Personally, until this thread, I hadn't realized that chuunibyo could also refer to somebody who acts like a "know-it-all." I thought it just referred to people who claimed to have supernatural powers (for example) but who obviously didn't.


And yet you keep insisting that your definition based on single show is correct.

Cam0 wrote:
Yeah, watch the OVA and then tell me that Kazuma is an extremely reasonable dude.


Well, I did. He had a very simple choice - either be honest about what he wants or be very nice and die horribly. His friends helped him without hesitation, mostly because he really is a nice guy. They kinda blew it though when they killed him in the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
@ NPC - you clearly don't understand what the phrase ad hominem means, even though I explained it. An ad hominem insult is one where, instead of refuting an argument on its merits, a person says something like, "your argument is wrong because you are fat." I clearly wasn't doing that and for you to see it that way is unintelligent interpretation.

You claiming that I "arbitrarily assigned" a meaning to chuunibyo because I took a definition of it from an anime is also an unintelligent comment. Clearly, if I took it from a show then it couldn't be "arbitrary" could it? Do you understand what arbitrary means? It's also ironic that you would make a point like that given you put so much stock in the fact that KonoSuba used the word in an episode title. If that is some kind of be all and end all, then surely the fact that an anime used the word in its over all title must be just as convincing, right? To deny this would be to undermine your very own argument which wouldn't be just unintelligent, it would be highly unintelligent.

And if you assume that zmzle500 and I are the only people who think you post like a jerk, then you are in deep, deep denial.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3727
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys, you're both making this thread inhospitable. Let's drop the personal insults and refocus all discussion on the show itself instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Parsifal24



Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 950
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode two had me laughing until I was hoarse from the toads to YunYun's pathetically lonely past spoiler[even flowers don't want to be her friend] this continues to be probably the funniest Anime I've seen in a while. While the loose animation works with over the top reactions of the characters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HeeroTX



Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 2046
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
My wife hates the trope of "hit the guy after 'perverted' act that clearly was not his fault" so she thought it was great when I told her Kazuma explicitly says if that happened to him he'd defend himself. Laughing Really, his whole "all those male-female interactions anime tropes are stupid" exchange with Megumin was great. I'm also left to wonder when Megumin's sister is going to show up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3577
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the bath scene thoroughly. I liked that Kazuma wasn't all "Being in a bath with a girl! Kyah!!" as with some such scenes and I was dying when he said he called out to Aqua that he was being beaten up by a little girl, and then was shown that his concern about being called a Loli-NEET was correct though insensitive (I've seen a range of ages for Megumi but some would be in range of the term loli being properly applied). This is a serious contender for funniest show of the season, and that coming from someone inclined to give that title to Gintama.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FackuIkari



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Posts: 403
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
IThis is a serious contender for funniest show of the season, and that coming from someone inclined to give that title to Gintama.


The thing about Gintama right now is that it will never be full comedy again, it will have some jokes here and there but that's it, ever since the spoiler[ Shogun Assassination ] Arc the manga has been serious and I think it will stay that way until the end so I don't think it can compete that much with a full comedy like Konosuba


Last edited by FackuIkari on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3577
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
^That's true but personally the jokes they do tell are so great, that it is still strong in that department despite being relatively diluted compared to the bulk of the series. YMMV of course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15899
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
My wife hates the trope of "hit the guy after 'perverted' act that clearly was not his fault" so she thought it was great when I told her Kazuma explicitly says if that happened to him he'd defend himself. Laughing Really, his whole "all those male-female interactions anime tropes are stupid" exchange with Megumin was great.

I just flat-out forgot that I was going to comment on this myself in the review, so I'm glad someone else has brought it up. I don't know if I can take him at his word, though, since he didn't do a very convincing job of defending himself from Megumin's pounding.

And from a tactical standpoint it's kind of a shame that the rival ran off, as she has exactly the kind of reliable, reusable ranged attack that the party desperately needs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 1907
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MarineCorps"]
mangamuscle wrote:
Lalatina is a Meat shield,

Lalatina's abs are really defined


the fun thing is that, while that picture is photoshopped, the novels say that lalatina has gota six pack, so that's actually more acurate to her character.

NPC wrote:

Kazuma's bad reputation in town is based mostly on crazy things the team (and Chris) say about him in public, it is a running joke. It appears that viewers get the same impression somehow.


I am pretty sure that's a meta isekai joke, since we have not gotten animes of shield hero or mushoku tensei, the references are lost (but at least the jokes don't fall flat), in those due to cultural differences between the real world mc and the rest of the fantasy world as well as the typical japanese misunderstanding comedy shenanigans, the mcs are made up to be far worse persons than they really are (in one the charcter is accused of creating alewd harem, while in fact he is not sexualy interested in any other character at all and his only interest is creating a country that has tolerance between multiple races before the gtfos to earth ; whileon the other one is accused of cheating and pedophilia/homosexuality , while as far as the cheating goes the girls throw themselves at him and he always stops them clearly , and the homoseuality/pedofilia are racial misunderstandings).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1689
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The wrath of the Loli descends! Also, I love how they finally added a mascot pet to the proceedings with Chomusuke. Definitely one of the best comedies in quite some time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambulator



Joined: 08 Oct 2016
Posts: 30
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed in them using the same introduction for YunYun that they did in the OVA. Even if the OVA is not canon reusing the same method of meeting is lazy.

I'd like to see some more advancement in their struggle to defeat the demon king. There is a long way to go.

(An interesting thread about what is odd about Megumin's name for those not too swift on Japanese culture.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group