• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are High School Jobs Not Allowed In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
This is another one of those things that makes me shake my head in frustration. More so the anti-dating policies that some schools have(though this seems to be more rare fortunately), which seems to honestly run counter to continuing the existence of humanity. A lot of the culture seems this way. It's all about appearance and apparently developing social skills and relationship skills are low on the priority list.
The first time I saw the no-jobs thing pop up in Anime I was not the least bit surprised, but I was still frustrated. If I wasn't allowed a job in school, I wouldn't have been able to eat. My family was very poor and we all had to work during our teenage years to help take the burden off of my parents. It seems like something that would be part of the conversation for these schools, but I guess they don't really care about people in that situation. They just don't want them at their school or something. The whole, sweep-the-problem-under-the-rug mindset seems to be rather popular there.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'd bet the teachers over there would understand if a student had to work because their family are poor. I don't think that every school at Japan doesn't let their students getting a part-time job. Over here, donations are given to those that need so. That's too much generalization to conclude that they'd basically don't gave a shit.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
As a teacher myself, this sounds like an absolute nightmare. It can be hard enough to keep kids on the straight and narrow when I'm on the clock, but being responsible for anything and everything they might do? That's sheer insanity. A teacher is not a parent, and shockingly enough, we try to have lives of our own beyond school too.

Wonder what it would be like being a teacher in Japan?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Yeah, I knew about the job thing but when I was in Japan and it was a Sunday and I was surprised to see how many kids were in their school uniform. I asked my friend about it (who is in JET) and they said many schools make their kids wear the uniform even in their time off so if they do anything that would get them in trouble the school would know about it. And I guess likely get them not do anything that would get them in trouble in the first place.

Makes me wonder if those Japanese delinquents intentionally wear their school uniforms in weird ways to try to make their schools look bad.

Maybe it's because I saw a lot of disruptive, trollish behavior when I was in school, but I feel like that attitude among schools wouldn't fly. Not because the parents would hate it, but because there are enough students who hated their schools that they would've WANTED to ruin their school's reputation with this system.

Greed1914 wrote:
We had a similar policy in law school where you weren't allowed to have a job during your first year. The thinking was that since your grades depending entirely on the final exam, they wanted you to focus on studying instead of blaming a job for why you crammed at the last minute.

I never saw anything close to that in any school in my metropolitan area, but then again, everything costs so much in this corner of the States that teenagers working are viewed more with admiration (that they're earning money to achieve a dream of theirs) or pity (that their domestic financial situation is so dire they have to contribute to tay their family's bills) than with shame or scorn. Anyone who doesn't sympathize with them winds up on Not Always Right.

Paiprince wrote:
Not sure if this holds true when Western teachers are reputed as being very hands-on and engaging to their students after class.

This is only upon request by the student or his or her parents. A teacher who tries to control a child's behavior without said permission is viewed as stepping out of line.

Яeverse wrote:
What anime was the person not watching? Several anime have high school students in jobs (High School Star Musical, Cardfight!! Vanguard, Kiss Him Not Me, The Devil Is a Part Timer )

Also Erased, where one of the characters is a high schooler who works at a pizza joint. She seems kind of ashamed about it, but no other character sees her that way.

Afezeria wrote:
Well, another question that ultimately can be answered with "culture differences". Not that it is bad to ask things like this, I'm just pointing the obvious.

Well, that it's culture differences is obvious, but what the differences are is not obvious at all. I didn't know about how Japanese schools control their students because they have reputations to keep. It's stuff like this is why I like reading Answerman columns.

Top Gun wrote:
As a teacher myself, this sounds like an absolute nightmare. It can be hard enough to keep kids on the straight and narrow when I'm on the clock, but being responsible for anything and everything they might do? That's sheer insanity. A teacher is not a parent, and shockingly enough, we try to have lives of our own beyond school too.

Yeah, I'm seeing this from an American perspective--it's hard for me to imagine most to all kids in a school following the rules. But I guess that's a case of groupthink. Humans are pack animals. We tend to behave similarly to the people around us. Maybe in Japan, as the students see other students being obedient and quiet, they're more inclined to behave that way, whereas in America, students like to cause problems for everyone around them, which encourages other students to do the same.

It makes me wonder what goes through a Japanese student's mind when they enroll in a student exchange program, attend a school in the United States, and see all the monkey business that goes on with their classmates.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
Obviously it is a school by school basis, but the teachers at the school I work at don't do home visits. They are super involved in their students' lives though. If kids get into a spat on LINE, it becomes an issue the teachers get involved in. [Also at the school I am at kids are allowed to get after school jobs, and I think most kids do have them. [It is a technical school though so the focus is not on college admissions or academics]].
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
It's obviously a school by school basis, or even a case by case basis. I have heard examples of students being allowed to work if they're from a low-income family that needs support, or if it's a family business and they help out. So long as the grades stay good.

One of the more extreme anime examples of the subject is Yu-Gi-Oh! where Anzu secretly gets a job to raise money to travel to America, but a teacher at her school finds out and tries to extort sexual favors from her or he'll report her and get her expelled.

-Stuart Smith
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
As a person who works in Japan and who has worked an "arubaito," I can attest to this. The job I used to work at had high schoolers making up half of the staff, and only one of them had permission from their school to work. The rest didn't. Needless to say one of them was caught by a teacher from their school when they walked into the store. That person faced suspension from the school and obviously couldn't come to work anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Nope, Japanese culture - where your identity and status are defined by your job.

I'm sorry, but what civilized culture doesn't look at that first?

Heishi wrote:
Wonder what it would be like being a teacher in Japan?

You can argue teachers are paid better in Japan and some European countries, but that's another contentious debate for another time.

People like to brush off differences in Japan's education system by "their culture," but fail to understand the entire system was modeled off Western ones from the Victorian Era. Since then, different aspects changed in the United States, Europe, and Japan, each for the better or for the worst. Also, this can explain school dating policies as schools used to be sex segregated with different approaches to integration. At least I know in many decent American private schools, a lot of rules you find at Japanese schools apply.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:15 am; edited 5 times in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Needless to say one of them was caught by a teacher from their school when they walked into the store. That person faced suspension from the school and obviously couldn't come to work anymore.

That's infuriating.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

One of the more extreme anime examples of the subject is Yu-Gi-Oh! where Anzu secretly gets a job to raise money to travel to America, but a teacher at her school finds out and tries to extort sexual favors from her or he'll report her and get her expelled.

-Stuart Smith

Bet that was edited out of the western version.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
Nope, Japanese culture - where your identity and status are defined by your job.

Well, in the United States, you are expected to keep your work life and your personal life separate. (That is, you are expected to have an identity outside of your job as well.) Otherwise, you'll look like a workaholic.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Compelled to Reply wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Well, in the United States, you are expected to keep your work life and your personal life separate. (That is, you are expected to have an identity outside of your job as well.) Otherwise, you'll look like a workaholic.

I've met and known a lot of Americans who take pride over their job and define it as their life, most notably in the military and high level management positions. Can't say the same for grunts who rather live multiple lives to escape the stress.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've also met people through their hobbies whom I didn't realize were high-ranking people until much later (sometimes after I'm no longer in contact with them) because they never ever mentioned whatever their jobs were. Hence, maybe it depends on if the job they have is really the one they want and how satisfied they are with it.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wish there was some level of this in the US.

Nowadays if a teacher so much as fails to write a compliment on a 'A' paper, the parents call in claiming the teacher is are abusing their child.

It's sad...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I've met and known a lot of Americans who take pride over their job and define it as their life, most notably in the military and high level management positions. Can't say the same for grunts who rather live multiple lives to escape the stress.

Regarding the military: it depends. Some folks are "lifers" and they *do* tend to define themselves by their job. The "one and done" type folks usually aren't like that very much. Plus, the military tends to require people to focus more on their jobs than their personal lives and it attracts those who are like that.

Speaking more generally, I would say that it is true that in pretty much all societies people are judged by their jobs. The question, IMO, is *how much* are people viewed that way. In the US, not a whole lot. Some jobs are more likely to be viewed as "you are your job" -- police, for example, are often viewed that way, as opposed to, say, an elevator repair tech.

Overall, as I said, I think we view people more as individuals than by their job title, especially once we get to know them well. I would venture to say that the US is pretty far to the "individual, not job title" end of the spectrum, where I'd put Japan pretty far to the other side, based on my understanding of their society (which isn't too great).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5