• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are High School Jobs Not Allowed In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Clyde Cash wiki.
Uh, I don't really understand. Is it a webcomic? Nevermind, I should give it some read and thanks for the information. [/u]

Basically the poster is likely a troll and their extreme views, which are pretty absurd, should be ignored. Or at least taken as a joke.

belvadeer wrote:
I remember back when I was going to high school in the 90s, students who were sixteen years of age were only allowed to work a part-time job after school if they had applied for a work permit so the workplace and the high school know that that student was obligating themselves to both. It's too bad Japan can't do the same or allow it on similar grounds.

But if their primary concern IS dealing with students that have compromised interests, just knowing someone has a job wouldn't probably help much. They just want the students to all be solely focused on school regardless.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Yeah, I knew that this Clyde Cash is being referred to as a troll, especially viable in the provided wiki page. I'm simply don't understand the greater details that is being described in the wiki, which talked about some dude named Chris and this Clyde supposed to be his arch-nemesis, whatever and also mentioned a webcomic. Well, I will give it more read for now and this topic is not in connection with what being discussed anyway. Thank you for replying.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Here I think is the root of the difference, you talk nonchalantly about suspension or expulsion, since I am sure in the USA most employers only care about what high school or college you got your diploma and what were your grades. Unless you got into something criminal most employers simply do not care about those kind of things "boys will be boys" they will say about any such things.

At least based on my experiences, things kids and teenagers do when they're still in school don't really reflect on their prospects to find work when they become adults (unless they did something that would put them in juvenile hall). If they continue to misbehave AFTER they've become adults, that's a different story completely. (I encountered plenty of girls who liked to stir up trouble too. It's not just boys, though there were more such boys than girls.)

However, when they're still kids, they're not too worried about what they'll do when they become adults. Kids like to live in the now, and kids think they're way more powerful and influential than they really are. If these students I speak of get suspended or expelled, it just means to them that they don't have to go to school. That's it.

By the way, I DO see plenty of cases where these people, when they were young, liked to cause trouble and wound up regretting it when they grew older and discovered they lack a high school diploma, or the necessary skills employers are looking for, or their troublemaking grew bad enough to be taken seriously by the police and they get sent to prison. I've never seen a case where employers look at what they did as minors though--all of the problems come from them being insufficiently prepared for being an adult.

Afezeria wrote:
Yeah, I knew that this Clyde Cash is being referred to as a troll, especially viable in the provided wiki page. I'm simply don't understand the greater details that is being described in the wiki, which talked about some dude named Chris and this Clyde supposed to be his arch-nemesis, whatever and also mentioned a webcomic. Well, I will give it more read for now and this topic is not in connection with what being discussed anyway. Thank you for replying.

Well, you can go ahead and read the CWCiki if you wish, but reading the Sonichu webcomic itself could be taxing on your sanity, especially if you know its author, Chris Weston Chandler, is really that insane. Though my point is that it helps to understand Clyde Cash's background to understand where he's coming from.

I'll send a PM about Sonichu to you.
Pringlescan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Schools in the West also ban working while in school, at least in some cases. Some private schools do it as well as some Public schools do. Or they make so you can only do it on days off or vacations.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Literally what it says. The school tells you that you can't have a girlfriend/boyfriend or any sort of relationship and would punish you for it if they found out. It would depend on the individual school though, not all of them are like that.

Well, I think this is a way too extreme, but I've heard some schools (public and private alike) in US have ban on public show of affection. I remember to read a book (unfortunately don't remember its tittle), where a high school couple was put in detention for holding hands and teacher caught them. I don't know how often such ban is, but I see it a little too extreme as well.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
chances are any new company might not hire people that were suspended or expelled, even if that happened in elementary school. IMO that is why in japan people in japan hide their secrets zealously, because the consequences can quite real.

Do employers have access to school records in Japan? I'm pretty sure they do not here in the US because of protections for minor children. Of course, there could be informal contacts between employers and former teachers, principals, etc., but does someone seeking a job at twenty-two have to provide her elementary school records?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Literally what it says. The school tells you that you can't have a girlfriend/boyfriend or any sort of relationship and would punish you for it if they found out. It would depend on the individual school though, not all of them are like that.

Well, I think this is a way too extreme, but I've heard some schools (public and private alike) in US have ban on public show of affection. I remember to read a book (unfortunately don't remember its tittle), where a high school couple was put in detention for holding hands and teacher caught them. I don't know how often such ban is, but I see it a little too extreme as well.

My school technically had a ban on PDA, but no one ever enforced it. Kids were making out in the hallways constantly and no one said a thing. It also helped that there were plenty of areas where big enough crowds congregated that you could do whatever you wanted without getting noticed. Basically, as long as you weren't literally making out in class with your teacher right in front of you, you wouldn't get in trouble. And the most I ever saw someone get was a slap on the wrist. Of course, people similarly utilized the bathrooms for drug use and sex, so it wasn't exactly the shining example of an American school. Just likely very typical for most middle class areas.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
chances are any new company might not hire people that were suspended or expelled, even if that happened in elementary school. IMO that is why in japan people in japan hide their secrets zealously, because the consequences can quite real.

Do employers have access to school records in Japan? I'm pretty sure they do not here in the US because of protections for minor children. Of course, there could be informal contacts between employers and former teachers, principals, etc., but does someone seeking a job at twenty-two have to provide her elementary school records?

TBT I would like to know also, but I digged some dirt and it seems it is all about the "recommendation system". When you are to get into another school (or into work) students look to get a recommendation from the previous school, if you get none then that is an indication that something bad happened. This is similar to the Warrant canary in the sense that it is a system to alert that something bad has happened without sharing the details.

Also remember that Japan is a society where it is routine to have people investigated, I have heard most parents do it when their kids are going to marry and you are nos supposed to make a fuse out of it.
DeeeFoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Students who wear a certain school's uniform are regarded as representing their school to the outside world. Therefore, most schools really impress upon their students that they have a duty to behave well outside, as emissaries of their school.

Abolish school uniforms, problem solved. That way, even if a student misbehaves outside of school, people won't know which school he represents, and therefore the school's reputation is protected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5