• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Winter 2017 Roundup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Jacob, you're not fooling anybody - you're dying to talk about Hand Shakers, so just turn on your tape recorder and have at it. Very Happy I wouldn't even call it hate-watching, but more amaze-watching at how stunningly baffling their creative choices are. Do it, do it, you know you want to...

I think you might change your minds on both Masamune and Tanya after their second episodes. I was pretty meh on both of them after the first, but Masamune throws in a twist I didn't expect that changes the entire dynamic, and Tanya is already charmingly evil as all get out, and I am no fan of loli anime as a rule. Maybe I just love it when a plan doesn't come together. It's still a drawback that the girls look like frogs (Tanya is more toadlike) and Tanya has fur instead of eyelashes, but I can get used to that. If you remain uninterested after the 2nd eps of these, then I imagine neither is going to be for you.

Seconded. I didn't go into detail in the preview guide forum but I think the second episode of masamune was a very solid effort for the reason Gina describes especially. I've already spoken about Tanya elsewhere so I won't get into it here.

And I need some Hand Shakers episode reviews in my life. Please? *doe eyes*

Also while I'm on the subject, that is the LN proper name title for a power users that I can not take seriously. "You don't have what it takes...to be a Hand Shaker." Pretty sure I'm capable of that. It is the Bye Bye Man of LN proper names.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
Two things that Seiren has going for it over Fuuka are that it is (a) absolutely gorgeous and (b) as of the second episode, super raunchy. spoiler["Shoichi got really turned on when I wore the sweats and came all over them"] has got to be one of the filthiest lines I've ever heard in a vanilla romance anime.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
I started writing my reaction to the winter season as a parody of that "honest trailer" schtick, and it ended up turning into a video. You're welcome / I'm sorry.

https://vimeo.com/199448819
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Blast, invalidname! You caught me greatly by surprise with that last point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I voted for HandShakers to be reviewed. I am not usually a fan of reading reviews by hate watchers, but HandShakers is really something else. It would be a lot of fun to see where that goes.

invalidname wrote:
I started writing my reaction to the winter season as a parody of that "honest trailer" schtick, and it ended up turning into a video. You're welcome / I'm sorry.

https://vimeo.com/199448819

That was hilarious. Thanks!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
You mention Masumune-san being similar to Mari Okada's mean spirited nature.

The odd thing is that Mari Okada also wrote Toradora and I watched it. I don't recall any real unjustified mean spiritedness from either Ami Kawashima or Taiga Aisaka.

Any idea why Mari Okada became so mean and judgey

Keep in mind, Toradora was an adaption of a light novel series, and while I heard it diverged a little bit at the end (as the light novel ending was being written at the same time as the anime) it was apparently a pretty faithful adaption.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Any idea why Mari Okada became so mean and judgey

That's something that only Japanese fans or westerners who reads Japanese might know better as Okada was interviewed several times in various Japanese anime magazines.

I'm pleased that ANN mentions Chinese coproductions in positive light. We all know they're not great, but they'll improve eventually. Any ANN readers here knowledgeable about Mainland Chinese comics?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Even if "Fuuka" becomes a lousy series, a saving grace for me it is being directed by the guy that directed both seasons of "Sekirei", which is among my favorite harem series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2