• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
@meiam Certainly being more dynamic is commendable, but using it in damn near every scene regardless of whether it would actually enhance the scene makes it less effective and really just looks bad. The problem isn't that they don't have the talent or resources, but rather that the studio is so focused on showcasing this technique and others without regard to whether it would be useful that their staff can't make anything good out of it. Sakuga Blog has a good post on the show that better explains this and how and why it went wrong. After this show though, they may lose that talent that is being obscured by the rest of this horrendous work.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
James suffered through Big Order and Taboo Tattoo the same year,am sure he could handle the abomination known as Hand Shakers Laughing

Cool

Honestly, if I had known you were going to get stuck with it, I probably wouldn't have voted for it. Now it feels more personal. lol
But hey, if you volunteered, good on you. I will be there for at least a few episodes. There is no way this can't be so-bad-it's-good. That first episode was just too gold.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
I wonder who voted for Sword Art Online for the Classic Streaming Review? I sure did Twisted Evil but not with "malicious" intent. I am genuinely curious about what people on the ANN crew think about the show. I don't care to watch videos by people who've already watched it and are very vitriolic towards it to an (IMO) absurd degree.

Then again, Bakemonogatari seems cool. I forget but is this the first entry into the Monogatari franchise or something? I have never followed the Monogatari shows.

Glad Saga of Tanya the Evil is being reviewed. Gonna watch the show and read the reviews right after. First time I'm gonna be doing that. Hope it doesn't turn into garbage.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Im not judging anyone...

Well, "the people posting seem to be the same people determined to hate the show since the first preview" sounded a little judgey, like our preconceived notions were clouding our objectivity. But I was kidding, hence the Very Happy.

Really, it's wonderful. Just like K. With more of everything that K had. Much more of everything that K had. Much, much more. So much more. You'll be overwhelmed...with joy. >.>
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
I wonder who voted for Sword Art Online for the Classic Streaming Review? I sure did Twisted Evil but not with "malicious" intent. I am genuinely curious about what people on the ANN crew think about the show. I don't care to watch videos by people who've already watched it and are very vitriolic towards it to an (IMO) absurd degree.

You know you could look up the reviews of the show on this site (Just going to link the series page so I don't have to do all of them) While the first series was before weekly episode reviews, the series has been reviewed by both Theron and Rebecca, (in addition to being covered in the relevant preview guide, summer 2012 though it should be noted that they are only first impressions and the lineup of reviewers is not the same). The second series was covered weekly by Nick and was reviewed by Theron as well.

All this is to say that the opinion of the reviewers here of the show is readily available already if you are interested. And actually you may be amenable to them as they are very much not vitriolic, let alone absurdly so.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
I will definitely be looking forward to Jacob's thoughts on Scum's Wish. A show that judging from Ep1 seems to be geared towards the NTR crowd is ripe for creating some very strong polarizing opinions. My honest opinion is I hate NTR themes wholeheartedly and yet there is something oddly alluring about stories that use it. As long as the plot doesn't take a running jump off a cliff the show could end up being a strangely rewarding if somewhat depressing experience.

While I could see that series being popular with the NTR crowd, I'd disagree that it's specifically targeted at the NTR crowd. Those titles are generally far more lurid.

And you definitely don't have to be an NTR fan to fully appreciate it. I'm not, and I gave it my highest rating of the preview season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't want to be this negative, but I am afraid the reviews for Bakemonogatari are not going to have a lot of traffic.

I think you'll be surprised. It got the most votes, so there's definitely interest, and it's going to be covered by Nick Creamer, who got where he is today at least in part because of his excellent Reddit Nisemonogatari reviews.

Also, there's the fact that the show has the reputation of being absurdly popular in Japan.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Im not judging anyone...

Well, "the people posting seem to be the same people determined to hate the show since the first preview" sounded a little judgey, like our preconceived notions were clouding our objectivity. But I was kidding, hence the Very Happy.

Really, it's wonderful. Just like K. With more of everything that K had. Much more of everything that K had. Much, much more. So much more. You'll be overwhelmed...with joy. >.>

I was seriously wondering where you were going with that for a second. Thank you for making my night. Laughing It truly is much much more of everything that K had to offer in about the worst way possible. Please, everyone, go watch it. It is also probably the most entertaining thing I've seen this season.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Shame that Little Witch Academia wasn't able to be in the running due to being a Netflix acquisition.

I just recently went through the Monogatari series, and I did vote for Bake in the survey, so I'm definitely eager to read the reviews for that. Yeah, the last three episodes aren't available on Crunchyroll for legal streaming, but come on guys, let's not pretend like we all don't know about the existence of sources like <snip>. People will be able to follow along just fine.

[Edit]: we can figure out torrent sites on our own. There's no need to pormote them here. Errinundra.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Herald Of JOJO wrote:

You know you could look up the reviews of the show on this site (Just going to link the series page so I don't have to do all of them) While the first series was before weekly episode reviews, the series has been reviewed by both Theron and Rebecca, (in addition to being covered in the relevant preview guide, summer 2012 though it should be noted that they are only first impressions and the lineup of reviewers is not the same). The second series was covered weekly by Nick and was reviewed by Theron as well.

All this is to say that the opinion of the reviewers here of the show is readily available already if you are interested. And actually you may be amenable to them as they are very much not vitriolic, let alone absurdly so.

Oh. Well, damn. Thank you very much, dood. Very Happy I just assumed that since SAO was on the list, I thought they never reviewed the first season of the anime period. Again, thanks!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
ANN's Daily Streaming Review Schedule page wrote:
James Beckett
[...]
Hand Shakers

ANN's Daily Streaming Review Schedule page wrote:
Paul Jensen
[...]
Akiba's Trip

Yes. So much yes. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Nooooooo, none of my classic streaming review choices made it in Anime cry

Same Sad

Looking forward to the new show reviews though.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Theron has been spared a second season of Rewrite, proving the readers are generous and merciful souls. Also suggests that Key/Visual Art's is something a spent force here, if their latest VN adaptation can't make the cut in such a weak season.

Enh, I wouldn't have minded doing it, as I wasn't as down on the first season as a lot of people were. I'm interested enough to see where it's going that I'll probably still watch it anyway and do a summary review at the end of the season.

I'm not surprised that it didn't get voted in, though, given how negative other opinions were of it.

Then count me among the few or group who liked it.

Especially with the premiere episode of the 2nd Season, the general consensus on it for VN Readers and Anime Watchers was good. I especially loved the Opening they did for the premiere. It used the original VN's Menu title theme song Journey as tribute to the Moon/Terra route. Along with nice subtle hints mixed in for what's to come.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I was really hoping there would be more than one classic streaming review since the top one was pretty much guaranteed to be something like monogotari which I just can't get into. I was hoping for something that as a series has had less exposure in the last few years. Hopefully, the reviews will be successful so we can have more, at least.

James, I'm sorry, but I look forward to reading your reviews.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't want to be this negative, but I am afraid the reviews for Bakemonogatari are not going to have a lot of traffic.

I think you'll be surprised. It got the most votes, so there's definitely interest

Don't misinterpret my words. I am not disputing fan interest in Bakemonogatari; I am questioning the decision to cover a show that is partially streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7