• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:

James, I'm sorry, but I look forward to reading your reviews.

Thanks! I'm just hoping it gives me more to work with than "Sweet Jesus my eyes why would anyone do this to another human being?" every week. From the looks of these first episodes, though, that shouldn't be an issue Wink
Blue21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
LOL, Bakemonogatari. I despised this anime so intensely that it killed my interest in anime for a good 10 months, and I still haven't really recovered. It was the perfect storm of obvious otaku pandering disguised with a shallow artsy coating that opened my eyes to what the anime industry truly is. It mystifies me that so many people, even seasoned reviewers, call this a masterpiece.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
LOL, Bakemonogatari. I despised this anime so intensely that it killed my interest in anime for a good 10 months, and I still haven't really recovered. It was the perfect storm of obvious otaku pandering disguised with a shallow artsy coating that opened my eyes to what the anime industry truly is. It mystifies me that so many people, even seasoned reviewers, call this a masterpiece.

Maybe you should read Nick's reviews of it as they come out then. Wink
I'm always amused by comments like this. Mystified? Why? There are essays upon essays and more of this series. If you think it's so shallow and pandery and wonder why it's so popular with critical fandom, maybe you should search out some of the many many pieces of writing on it?! Just a suggestion. This is like the people who wonder why people hate SAO, when you can search for analysis of the show and get literally hundreds of results. It's not that hard. There is no excuse to be "mystified" by something's popularity. Least of all something that has been analyzed as thoroughly as the Monogatari series.

Last edited by relyat08 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes, everything I voted for got in. Said shows are Nanbaka (since I enjoy it), Handshakers (since I'm sadistic), and Saga of Tanya the Evil (since I'm still curious).
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
So, I decided to stop lurking around and finally just post after I've been on this site for over a year, hehe.

Just about everything I'm watching got in save a couple few. I'm excited to see more of Ao no Exorcist (seeing as I binge watched the first season, all specials, and the movie during a fun little snow/ice storm Raleigh had...and I kinda fell in love with Rin...), Nanbaka (those crazy jailbreakers!), and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (also binge watched that about a week before the new season came out...I cannot believe the first season flew under my radar...I'm so ashamed!).

I'm also looking forwards to Fuuka, Scum's Wish, ACCA, Chain Chronicle, Tales of Zesteria the X 2, Ohiehi...yeah...this season is looking fun so far. Lots of different stuff!

I am ashamed to say that I will be following Hand Shakers...I had such high hopes knowing it came from the same studio as K, but wow...what a mess. A mess I will follow. Because wow...just...yeah... I need to see this train wreck through! Anime hyper

I am sad to see Trickster and All Out!! not make the cut though. Trickster because, if nothing else, I love Gackt...like a lot. And Kobayashi is super angsty fun. All Out!! I will miss because it's actually a pretty good show...it's just slow, save the actual rugby games...but I guess I kinda enjoy that sometimes too.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Yes, everything I voted for got in. Said shows are Nanbaka (since I enjoy it), Handshakers (since I'm sadistic), and Saga of Tanya the Evil (since I'm still curious).

I'm starting to think I was the only sincere vote for handshakers
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Nooooooo, none of my classic streaming review choices made it in Anime cry

Same Sad

Yes, this was a second thing I wanted to mention. I didn't vote for any of this season's shows because I don't really care about any of them; Anime is getting as bad as popular film these days at diversifying and their further adaption of mobile games is, well, not a good sign of things improving. To put it mildly.

But I did vote on the Classic Streaming Series. At least we'll know these shows won't self destruct or end abruptly or totally suck and/or blow. I voted for five of them. I voted for shows that an episode by episode breakdown would do the show and the medium itself a service and my top pick related to a series... possibly more an idea for a series from what I've seen of the first two episodes... debuting this year and would have been great to see the two compared side by side.

Of course I mean Gonzo's 25 anniversary series Akiba Strip... wait, Akiba's Trip... and Gonzo's Tenth anniversary offering, the very immature and fan service filled Last Exile. That would have been enlightening, possibly as an idea where streaming has gotten us or the idea of what's exactly worth celebrating as milestones. I also picked Kyoto Animation's Kanon versus their offering this season , the maid dragon thing.

Instead we got one pick and that pick was Talking: The Limited Animation. And this is from someone who liked it.

Fun fact: Last Exile is not a fan service filled show about stripping people and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's one of the great shows regarding genre expectations and how to surpass them by not giving in to them.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
^Not sure I agree about modern anime being bad at diversifying, even in this season. And I don't think there is a troubling amount of mobile game adaptations, given there are only two this season. Rage of Bahamut was a very good show and it was a mobile game adaptation, though yeah many such adaptations are not so. I'm glad I don't have to take exception to your characterization of Last Exile.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Of course I mean Gonzo's 25 anniversary series Akiba Strip... wait, Akiba's Trip... and Gonzo's Tenth anniversary offering, the very immature and fan service filled Last Exile. That would have been enlightening, possibly as an idea where streaming has gotten us or the idea of what's exactly worth celebrating as milestones. I also picked Kyoto Animation's Kanon versus their offering this season , the maid dragon thing.

So your against stripping people and dragon maids? It appears we can never be friends.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Not sure I agree about modern anime being bad at diversifying, even in this season. And I don't think there is a troubling amount of mobile game adaptations, given there are only two this season. Rage of Bahamut was a very good show and it was a mobile game adaptation, though yeah many such adaptations are not so. I'm glad I don't have to take exception to your characterization of Last Exile.

If anything anime has been more diverse over the last couple of years than I've ever seen before. This season is the most limited in a while, but that's definitely an anomaly. All in all, there has been something for pretty much anyone who is vaguely interested in the medium over the last couple of seasons.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Maybe you should read Nick's reviews of it as they come out then. Wink
I'm always amused by comments like this. Mystified? Why? There are essays upon essays and more of this series. If you think it's so shallow and pandery and wonder why it's so popular with crtiical fandom, maybe you should search out some of the many many pieces of writing on it?! Just a suggestion. This is like the people who wonder why people hate SAO, when you can search for analysis of the show and get literally hundreds of results. It's not that hard. There is no excuse to be "mystified" by something's popularity. Least of all something that has been analyzed as thoroughly as the Monogatari series.

Yes, because I'm really going to read analyses of something I despised. It's enough that I read rave reviews before watching it, and came to disagree with every single point raised. Bakemonogatari is a trashy harem with cliched character types (the tsundere, the loli, the "lesbian" who loves the male MC), that's only so gimmicky so it can pretend it's something more than it actually is. And that's where I stand on the matter.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:

Yes, because I'm really going to read analyses of something I despised. It's enough that I read rave reviews before watching it, and came to disagree with every single point raised. Bakemonogatari is a trashy harem with cliched character types (the tsundere, the loli, the "lesbian" who loves the male MC), that's only so gimmicky so it can pretend it's something more than it actually is. And that's where I stand on the matter.

Then don't say you're "mystified" by its popularity and critical acclaim. And don't complain about it. You lost any credibility to do so. There is no excuse for ignorance. If you don't like the show, that's fine, but you have a plethora of opportunities to understand why other people do. If you don't get it, that's on you.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I voted for shows that an episode by episode breakdown would do the show and the medium itself a service and my top pick related to a series... possibly more an idea for a series from what I've seen of the first two episodes... debuting this year and would have been great to see the two compared side by side.

There's nothing stopping you from writing it yourself and posting it to the forums. It would be an interesting read.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Then don't say you're "mystified" by its popularity and critical acclaim. And don't complain about it. You lost any credibility to do so. There is no excuse for ignorance. If you don't like the show, that's fine, but you have a plethora of opportunities to understand why other people do. If you don't get it, that's on you.

Well, sorry if my opinion makes you mad, but having read all the reviews about it on ANN, the analysis by Nick Creamer and good number of comments on MAL, I do have the right to say I don't understand the show's popularity. Don't say I have no credibility just because I have an out-of-the-ordinary opinion and refuse to read every half-cooked analysis made by a no-name otaku ever.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:

Well, sorry if my opinion makes you mad, but having read all the reviews about it on ANN, the analysis by Nick Creamer and good number of comments on MAL, I do have the right to say I don't understand the show's popularity. Don't say I have no credibility just because I have an out-of-the-ordinary opinion and refuse to read every half-cooked analysis made by a no-name otaku ever.

I'm not mad. I don't really know what about my comments suggested I was.
But whatever, I don't want this to get too personal. Sure, you can dislike the show, I know many who do. Nothing wrong with that. It's just really odd for someone to have read reviews and analysis of the show and still not get it. Most people I know who don't like it at least get it, it's just not for them aesthetically, or they don't like psychological character dramas, or supernatural stuff, or any sexual content whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7