• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hand Shakers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Thanks for this James. Your noble sacrifice will be remembered.

If I don't make it, I want copies of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 put on my grave, whenever it officially comes out in the US. None of that pirated nonsense. My corpse will deserve better.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
At least the music is good, right? Can I just listen to the soundtrack but not have to watch it?
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, James. Reading your review just made me bust out laughing. What an odd premise: hold my hand or die! Even stranger when only the MC finds it abnormal.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Like others, this show has gave me a serious motion sickness, but I can't quite explain why: was it due to the over-saturated color scheme (most of them are rather cold-themed colors), or was it because of the jumpy, shaky and jerky camera angle, as well as the style-over-substance canimation, or was it because of the over designed mechs/weapons?

Can anyone help me figure it out? I mean...I am very open to all animation styles, but this one somehow seriously hindered my viewing experience

As interesting it is to talk about highlights in animation, talking about utterly awful animation is just as good. The problem is not all those elements as much as the horrible individual execution and the horrible combination.

The camera movements on digital background are useful when you only have to follow only one object, which is literally the idea of making your background move a lot, is to give one minimal point a lot of angles to make it look much more dynamic. But for example, the scene in the cafeteria (I think that's what it is), you have to pay attention to two characters that aren't even in touch with one another, the windows' lightning, but there's even something worse: the angle isn't even working, the characters look flat, plastered on a moving background, moving ever so slightly as to not look even weirder, but they are shown in a completely different "speed". It's nauseauting because the idea doesn't flow as naturally as we expect it to.

The color saturation is a hit or miss. In Coppelion they worked really well to show contrast between destroyed land and the only places where grass would grow, sometimes making very beautiful composition, and in K sometimes, sometimes it enhanced the landscape of a city, it's particularly obsessed with skyscrappers and light reflection, perhaps the best moments are when color-coded characters appear, since the color saturation usually matches their color code, and when "white" characters appear they usually have a myriad of light colors.

These two fronts, when combined, in other GoHands show they look integral, and as much as they might not be very good for the eyes, they don't look like 5 shows in one, all of them looking bad. Every background in HandShaker is not only a digital mess, it doesn't mesh (to quote the MC) with the characters or the effects animation or the mech animation, it's incredible.

I don't know if the overdesign of weapons is the problem per se, it's that they look badly overdesigned, and they are literally divorced from the characters, just watch the end of the first episode, the MC is handling the sword in slow motion by the end, and you can literally see how it doesn't even look like he is holding it.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched episode 2 yet. But the thing that bothered me the most in 1 was the break chain guy. He was extremely annoying with his nonsensical yelling and even complaining about how he couldn't kill the protags when he wasn't even trying to.

Then he's like "I need more chains!" When he has plenty coming out of the wall and grounds doing nothing but attempting (and failing) to set up some epic battle stage and not using it to attack the protags when they weren't even defending themselves yet.

He just kept yelling and I'm like just shut up and kill them already.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first episode, had to bail because those chains looked so bad!

I will say I was hoping for more screenshot and gif, but watching it is already more than can be humanely asked of anyone. Surely if Hercules was reborn today this would be one of his 12 tasks.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
i am actually OK with this series
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
varmintx wrote:
"D-?" Did you misplace the "F" on your keyboard?

I didn't want to waste a perfectly good F on the first two episodes! How else will I communicate if and when things get even worse?

That's having an escape plan. Though if you start at F, you can always have a "WTF" grade. That door could be opened, though it is not closed even now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I broke down problems of the first episode into a few parts, largely animation. The backgrounds can look nice on their own, but the CG style heavily contrasts with the style of the characters in a quite un appealing way, the characters looking quite flat. The character designs themselves pretty detailed and designed to be particularly smooth, but all the character animation seemed to have a particularly low framerate, and with the design made the characters move anything but smooth, like the characters were moving very fast but stop suddenly before moving fast again. I suspect that might be partially responsible for feelings of motion sickness, and it was made worse by the CG which did not seem to suffer from any frame problems and thus moved smoothly, and much of the camera movement was pretty unnecessary.

In the series discussion thread I compared it to Kill la Kill and described this show as trying to do rule of cool without understanding what that actually means.

Second episode helped animation wise, but my problem was with a lack detailing own rules, like saying they have to keep hands holding, then he decides he can let go for a moment, and then an entire scene in the bath where they are not holding hands. Although, there is a chance I could get some enjoyment out of this, ironically or not.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
Woah... The storytelling and premise, I can completely look past. That CG however. WOW. The review wasn't exaggerating. It wasn't hyperbole. The camera movements were way too violent and vigorous. Couple that together with the low frame-rate of the characters, and it's just way too disconcerting for me. The action was literally impossible to follow. The shaky cam in Hollywood action movies have nothing on this.

I guess this is another case of why (poorly done) CG in anime (for no good reason) is a bad idea.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Is anybody else enjoying the heck out of this show? Don't get me wrong, everything about it is mind-blowingly terrible, but for me it's falling right square into "so bad it's good" so far.

That said, my one biggest frustration with this show is that every once in a while, for a split second or two, it does something right. There were a couple moments in episode 1 where the constant camera panning made the classroom look really alive instead of feeling like you're on a tilt-o-whirl. Sometimes the weird gradient thing looks pretty, if nonsensical. And while I'm sure it'll be... uh, hand-waved more often in the future, watching a middle school boy figure out to go through his daily life with a (practically) baby stuck to his hand is more entertaining than it should be.

This is actually going to be my first ever hate-watch. I never understood why someone would purposefully watch something bad, but I think I'm starting to get it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Is anybody else enjoying the heck out of this show? Don't get me wrong, everything about it is mind-blowingly terrible, but for me it's falling right square into "so bad it's good" so far.

That said, my one biggest frustration with this show is that every once in a while, for a split second or two, it does something right. There were a couple moments in episode 1 where the constant camera panning made the classroom look really alive instead of feeling like you're on a tilt-o-whirl. Sometimes the weird gradient thing looks pretty, if nonsensical. And while I'm sure it'll be... uh, hand-waved more often in the future, watching a middle school boy figure out to go through his daily life with a (practically) baby stuck to his hand is more entertaining than it should be.

This is actually going to be my first ever hate-watch. I never understood why someone would purposefully watch something bad, but I think I'm starting to get it...

This show wouldn't have been picked up for coverage if many people were not enjoying the heck out of it, ironically albeit. And it seems there is plenty of that here.

If I were to give any advice on hate-watching, it is that it doesn't work on just anything. Unenjoyable shows are unenjoyable. It's just that positive remarkable execution isn't the only thing that is enjoyable.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
"D-?" Did you misplace the "F" on your keyboard?

That's what I was thinking. That made me laugh after reading his absolutely phenomenal review.

I wanted to like Hand Shakers but it seems GoHands has achieved that rarest of feats in that every possible aspect of this show is godawful. I'm sure the voice acting is fine--I honestly couldn't comment on it after being so visually concussed by the pilot.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I dunno.....I thought it was cute. :O

(second episode mostly. First was awful. lol)
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Like others, this show has gave me a serious motion sickness, but I can't quite explain why: was it due to the over-saturated color scheme (most of them are rather cold-themed colors), or was it because of the jumpy, shaky and jerky camera angle, as well as the style-over-substance canimation, or was it because of the over designed mechs/weapons?

Can anyone help me figure it out? I mean...I am very open to all animation styles, but this one somehow seriously hindered my viewing experience
I believe part of it is that, with all the crazy camera work happening and swooping, circling pans, the background rotates and moves at a different speed than the characters in the foreground (and on top of that, the horrible lighting, vast gulf of difference in the art styles, and general incompetence of execution makes the two stand out from each other even more). Your brain tries to lock on to something to give you a sense of equilbrium in the scene, but since its getting one set of data from objects in the foreground and another set of data from those in the background, it upsets your sense of balance.

It's basically what happens when you get seasick; your inner ear tells your brain one thing and your eyes tell it another, and you end up losing your lunch but still have a better time than watching an episode of Hand Shakers (or something).

That's my theory, anyway. All the other things like the garish palette, low quality of the art in general, sheer visual overload, and so on probably didn't help, but I think it was the mismatch of depictions of violent movements, constantly, that put me over the edge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12