• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hand Shakers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
@ Valhern: I think she was scared because he was crawling across the table toward her and crying and yelling in her face. Just a tad weirder than usual.

That episode left me so numb I don't really have anything to say about it, except DEAD END EMPEROR!!!!!! Sorry, didn't quite catch that, could you say it 8 more times?

The main thing I was fixated on was how incredibly freakish all the girls' eyes are, especially manager and brocon girl. They're not just big and cute, they're ginormous and demonic looking. It's really unsettling when they're all in one place and there's no where else to look.

nightmare fuel
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the writing might be worse than the visuals overall by now. "Hey, let's enter our infant daughters into the tournament to earn the right to fight God or whatever. What could go wrong?" What Shocked
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty rare that a flashback episode makes things even more confusing. Well done?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
What Shocked

I mean, this right here is a perfect review of the episode in and of itself.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I *think* the implication was that Koyori and Mayumi were "born hand shakers" because they were born inside the Ziggurat. Which is also the reason they have to hold hands and will die in RL if they die in the game. Not that the connection is explained, but it seems to be there. And since they were Hand Shakers from infancy, other Hand Shakers were after them all the time because it'd be easy to beat up a couple of toddlers. Kinda dark.

Nonetheless none of that explains why their parents thought that creating Hand Shakers from birth was a good idea in the first place, why being in a coma keeps them from dying, why losing their memories and emotions would necessitate an organ transplant, (I didn't think about it maybe being Tazuna's sister - between that and "challenging God" I'm guessing the writers just watched Angel Beats), or if Hand Shakers are just able to switch partners willy-nilly, why didn't Makihara just become Koyori's partner?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I never thought that maybe the donor would be Tazuna's sister. Now THAT would be a twist. You might say it's stupid and unnencesary but never understimate how entertaining a dramatic and ballsy twist can be.

Just saying that because the idea that they needed a transplant becausue somehow they lost their emotions is way too dumb. I was half-asleep when watching and I wouldn't even bother to go back to get it. Good thing that I didn't need to and the watching method was corrrect.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ Valhern: I think she was scared because he was crawling across the table toward her and crying and yelling in her face. Just a tad weirder than usual.

Must have been the lack of in-betweens in his animations, that scared me too a little.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
My take on this episode:

1. Koyori and her sister are born Hand Shakers as a result of their mother being pulled into the Ziggurat during childbirth. I'll have to rewatch to see if that was intentional or coincidental.
2. As a result of said incident, they're cursed with the SAO treatment: die in the Ziggurat, die in real life. Having to constantly hold hands may also be a result of their birth since they can't "turn off" their power… or something.
3. As Hand Shakers, they're a target for anyone who wants to meet God. As children and Hand Shakers, they basically have an enormous bullseye on them. The father snaps (after a long time but, y'know, jumping through flashbacks and whatnot) because his daughters' curse is tearing him apart inside. The mother's implied to be the same way but it's hinted at in a quick shot of her face.
4. Murder's a-okay, apparently, and somehow killing a Hand Shaker before they even enter the Ziggurat counts.
5. The father meets God, wishes for the girls to be released from their "curse," and they technically are.
6. The identity of the organ donor will probably be important.
7. Tazuna FINALLY has a reason to care about all of this.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, snap. I didn't even notice that their father KILLED their target. Probably with his bare hands.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh, snap. I didn't even notice that their father KILLED their target. Probably with his bare hands.

Yep, impaled them with his bare hands.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
@ FallenDomino:

1) Don't go back and watch it again! I'm pretty sure it was coincidental. Old school Hand Shakers seemed to know a whole lot more about each other than the current crop do, so someone probably figured a pregnant woman would be an easier target and pulled them in. I mean, how did anyone even find out they had baby Hand Shakers?

4) Well, if they're dead they can't fight so it would kinda have to count.

6) My first thought when they mentioned organ donor was li'l sis. My second thought was why would they need new organs, and which organs did they need? I.e., if say, their hearts disintegrated, both of them would need a new heart, so one donor wouldn't be enough, so probably not hearts (assuming they both had the same organ fail, because why wouldn't they?). So...kidneys? Lungs? Liver could be divvied up. I got it - they each got half a brain!
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
They explained absolutely nothing.
KML777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Just want to know your honest opinion @James_Beckett

Has the last twelve weeks been worth it?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
KML777 wrote:

Absolutely! I got to meet a bunch of awesome people in the forums, and writing these reviews keeps my skills sharp, even when the show itself is dull as dirt. No regrets here Cool
KML777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
KML777 wrote:

Absolutely! I got to meet a bunch of awesome people in the forums, and writing these reviews keeps my skills sharp, even when the show itself is dull as dirt. No regrets here Cool

Glad to hear it. Keep up the good work! Wink
Creashion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Hand Shakers is the classic: so bad, that is good, look to all the discussion and comments about this anime, not even Acca 13 had this much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12