• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hand Shakers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I dunno.....I thought it was cute. :O

(second episode mostly. First was awful. lol)

I keep hearing second episode fixed alot of issues it got me looking forward to it again.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I voted for this show to be in the review schedule because I got the impression that there was some artistic ambition behind all the animated chaos of the first episode, so I think I owe the world + dog an apology at this point. My bet is that the show ends up being all about the fights and the threadbare backstory is just the minimum to link the episodes together. There's certainly no characters that attract any sympathy. The most interesting ones are the side characters, and only because most/all of them so far are just plain weird.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a pretty messed up show!
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Wow what positives can be spun about Hand Shakers at present other than it's an experience, just what that might be however is anyone's guess at this point. I'm pretty convinced right now that this show was created by a group of 15yr old boys high on Red Bull. It's a kind of unholy concoction of ideas that only seems possible if everyone involved had completely lost control of their sanity.

On the plus side it did have chains, unfortunately they looked ballz. If I need to fill the chain shaped hole in my life, I'll just stick to Hellraiser. Which btw has the sort of imposing antagonist GoHands should want to emulate, not the dime a dozen street thug prone to hissy fits that they actually created.

Oh and the way class presidents bosom jiggled was at least mildly amusing for how ridiculous it actually looked.

Ok, so two sort of positives. Considering the utter mess this show is, that's better than anyone can realistically hope to expect.

In all honesty I look forward to how deep a hole this show can dig for itself. Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Question for you James. Since Funimation plans to simuldub this, first ep gets released on the 29th, and you guys are making an effort to discuss these dubs in your weekly reviews, are you gonna be able to put yourself through that first episode again?
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Question for you James. Since Funimation plans to simuldub this, first ep gets released on the 29th, and you guys are making an effort to discuss these dubs in your weekly reviews, are you gonna be able to put yourself through that first episode again?
What? This miscarriage is getting a dub??

I officially don't even. Of all the shows that deserve to get a boost in the US by having an average consumer-friendly dub to appeal to a wider audience, and Hand Shakers gets selected. Funimation why.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Yes, I'll be covering it at least once or twice as the reviews go on. I'll have to watch the episodes again, which will be...something. Confused
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Hand Shakers animation is NOT terrible. The problem is the show is designed for 4k and nearly everyone is watching the show on at most a 1080p setup. A 4k setup is needed to see the director's vision and have the show really pop.

Also, I hope this show becomes a harem and Tazuna becomes a human Twister board.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
If it "popped" any more, it would feel like Cthulhu crawling out of the screen. Resolution is not the problem here.

I didn't get nauseated from the hideous chains in the first episode, or the hideous gear sword, but the weird color filters over everything in the second episode did the trick. It's like seeing everything through the pastel rainbows that form over bilious oily slime pools of industrial waste.

I'm getting the feeling that the parts of this that Tazuna is experiencing might not exactly be in the real world. The crazy doctor mentioned something about the real world seeming like the Ziggurat world to Koyori, so maybe he's perceiving everything from her messed up pov.

Existential question of the day: Can a slate be blanker than blank? Smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmm everyone seems to be complaining about the color filters but I dig them.

I'm a pretty big fan of "gradient hair" though. Anime hyper It looks friggin cool.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
Hand Shakers animation is NOT terrible. The problem is the show is designed for 4k and nearly everyone is watching the show on at most a 1080p setup. A 4k setup is needed to see the director's vision and have the show really pop.

Also, I hope this show becomes a harem and Tazuna becomes a human Twister board.
I don't care what resolution you export your footage at, when you're using an animated explosion gif taken from an early 2000's make-a-cartoon-at-home special effects pack and the most hideous fade in font script you can pull from the dregs of the power point presentation from hell, adding more pixels is not going to make your final product look any better.

And that's just from the first ten seconds of episode 1! This show definitely pops, but only in the worst possible way. It would be better served if it could settle the heck down for a few seconds here and there- not that the underlying characters, plot, or 'theme' of the show seems like it could carry the show even if it managed that.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Parts of the episode felt like it was glitching out, on me with jerky character movement and the backgrounds continue to make all of the characters look like cut outs on a background. Even the score was spotty for the most part with probably the only good use of music being in the final battle scene.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
getchman wrote:
What? This miscarriage is getting a dub??

I officially don't even. Of all the shows that deserve to get a boost in the US by having an average consumer-friendly dub to appeal to a wider audience, and Hand Shakers gets selected. Funimation why.

Please tell me Funimation plans on making it a gag dub.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Fun fact of this week's Hand Shakers: The first 30 seconds is reused footage and the parfait they served in the café has real strawberries that look more unsettling the more you look.

While these new characters are a walking stereotype, no doubt, I enjoyed them MUCH more than whatever those sadomasochistic pair were supposed to do. Sure, those overly designed swords look like crap, but they are still not chains! And this sure as hell is a better stereotype than someone whose role, as per the OP, is literally moaning.

Whatever the Squirrel girl name is, she certainly looks cuter than the overly pompous Koyori and I like her attitude even if there are ten thousand anime characters with the same archetype done infinetely better but I'm taking what I can.

Going out on a limb on this one, but I think that for the most part this looked closer to the better days of K, just a little closer, even though it's still a freaking mess with no direction whatsoever. Also, the fight scene, whatever that was not digitally rendered, looked more on the okay side, except it still has an awkward feeling of speed.

The best part of the episode? The end. I couldn't stop laughing from how stupid that looked and felt. Damn.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
the parfait they served in the café has real strawberries

I think you and I have different definitions of the word "real." oO

I'd say the operative word this episode was boring. James did a good job of describing why the hideous color filters aren't working for me. The worst of the animation this time was how Koyori's rococo necklace seemed to hover 3 layers over her rather than being rendered on the same cel.

As for the story, this about sums it up for me:

Just standing there watching a door. Doesn't seem very normal, but I guess I can kind of relate to it, after having sat through this episode. Optimistically, it's a sign that my pet theory is right about this not being the real world. Once Tazuna and Koyori leave, the robo-parents shut down, having nothing to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12