• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ONIHEI

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well, Mrs. Onihei was QUITE the l'il tramp in her younger days, heh-heh-heh. This is twice the show has made me fear for Ojun's life and I don't appreciate it. With only two episodes left, I trust I can get to the end without a reoccurance of this most unwelcome plot device. Rebecca will be happy that the bad guys this week were kidnappers, not thieves.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Man, Tatsuzo is really worse than useless, huh. Hairline notwithstanding, maybe he's not Heizo's son... Shocked As for Ojun, it's her mental development I'm fearing for. Do we know how old she is? She looks about 7-8, but she acts like she's stuck at 4-5.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Rebecca will be happy that the bad guys this week were kidnappers, not thieves.

I read the local newspaper today and see on the front cover the story of how a 13 year old kid was kidnapped, the ransom was paid and was then promptly murdered. So, IMO, they should have tied Ojun kidnappers, placed them inside their house after beating htem and THEN they should have set it on fire, that would have been cathartic. No matter how I see it, kidnappers are in a whole level of scuminess below thieves, maybe because they have become a national problem my country did not had a decade ago.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 was another really solid outing. Man, I am going to miss this sterling drama when it's over. My only disappointment with th episode is we never find out what happened to the thief's wife and daughter. We don't even know if the thief saw them again. Not sure why he didn't just tell Theft Arson Control where his accomplice was instead of tracking him down himself.

On a different matter, I notice that on my computer screen anyway, the word Onihei in my post above shows up in orange type. Anybody else seeing that? What's weird is that it's not anything I did and when I use the quote function, which normally reveals codes for bolding, underlining, etc, nothing shows up.

Spooky...

eta: and now it's gone. It was orange, I tell you! No, I am not on drugs.

eta2: wait, mystery solved. I had used ANN's search function to find this thread (something that I almost never use, and Onihei was the search word, so that's why it was oranged. Did not know that.

Er, carry on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
Even if he hadn't been out arresting thieves, I don't think Koyanagi would've been there for the birth/death anyway. Birthin' babies is wimmin's work, and in that era I believe men were kept out until presented with a live baby. So they'd have still been dead by the time the midwives let him in.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
So I did a little research on Edo-era childbirth practices, and you're right - he wouldn't have been allowed in the room. In fact, he shouldn't have been allowed in so soon after death (much less with all those other men behind him), because birth and pregnancy were considered kegare, or "unclean" in a spiritual sense. (Hence the birth room looking like a detached shed - it probably was.) So now I can't decide if Koyanagi blaming himself (which I'd say he really did) was because the original or the show's author(s) couldn't divorce themselves from modern practice or to show Koyanagi as being really in love with his wife.

Anyway, the most interesting article I found in my (admittedly brief) search was this one. I also read that apparently women giving birth in Japan today aren't supposed to scream.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
That was an interesting article. I'd also like to read the one he mentioned discussing the apparently paradoxical views of blood both as kegare and as sacred, but I don't have the time to pursue it. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Dayum, I'm gonna miss this show. I'm not really a huge fan of historical samurai type shows, but I loved this one. Every episode seemed to clip along - I can't recall ever being bored. Thanks, Rebecca, for your reviews, I found them insightful. Like you, I hope we get more of Oni's adventures in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5