• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bakemonogatari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
I feel like some people are complaining about the fanservice in the series because its the hip thing to do when you see panties, boobs or suggestive sexual situations in an anime that they simply don't like. It lets them admit they didn't like a popular series with fanservice being an out.

Personally, I don't care for Bakemonogatari for the same reason that I don't like the A Certain Magical Index anime: I've read the original novels, and have consistently found them better than their animated adaptations, especially with regards to lewd content. That being said, I think part of the issue that others have had with the Monogatari series' fanservice (and, in particular, Nisemonogatari's fanservice) is how pervasive and inescapable it has become, especially as the series goes on.

To use shows from this season as examples, even people who dislike booby fanservice can sit through an episode of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid; they just have to ignore stuff like the Lucoa boob jiggles and they're golden. Similarly, Fuuka's fanservice moments can be easily dismissed as unavoidable trappings of the genre, and anyone still interested in harem/shonen romance stories is bound to have reconciled themselves to that kind of thing by now. Seiren is kind of a weird duck, because its fanservice is just so odd, but even that show is still basically watchable to people who don't like suggestively sexual visual elements (although I'm unsure why you'd be watching that series if you don't have a dirty mind).

The Monogatari series is a completely different animal, because in many cases, fanservice is one of its primary methods of visual storytelling. There are very few other shows where a protracted shot of a girl's windblown nether-region conveys several pages worth of source material. If you've already decided that you don't like fanservice going into Bakemonogatari, best case scenario is that you're going to walk away with the impression that the show's creators use fanservice to make some kind of profound artistic statement... and even among those who come to that conclusion, there are going to be some who simply don't care enough to tolerate visual imagery they consider unappealing.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 4. Koyomi and Mayoi have one of the best rapports in the series for me and the episode was really engaging throughout. The minutiae of all their little exchanges, and the scenes with Senjougahara and Hanekawa, were entertaining in their own right and crucial for the next episode. I'd consider it better and more important than episode 3 (for Mayoi's story if not Koyomi and Senjougahara's).
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Slashman, your comment comes off as pretty condescending and insensitive, honestly. Regardless of whether or not the fanservice elements have a higher purpose, that gives people no obligation to be cool with it. If someone can't get behind the heavy sexual imagery then that's simply their personal choice, and it's completely justified. And I disagree with it not being a harem. Sure, the circumstances in which these things happen in the series are different and sometimes more justified in-universe than most anime, but they're still harem elements. For me, as long as there are multiple girls who may or may not want to bone the male lead (or vice versa), that's all a show needs to be considered a harem. And even though Araragi does have a girlfriend (which is indeed a refreshing change of pace), he still very clearly has his strong sexual tendencies, and it's clear that characters like Hanakawa and Nadeko definitely have romantic feelings for him as well. And then you have all of his perverted escapades with loli characters like Mayoi and Yotsugi. Honestly, there's no need to associate the term "harem" with such a negative connotation. Being one isn't an inherently bad thing, and definitely doesn't imply that the show is any less interesting because of it. The same goes for fanservice.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
For me, as long as there are multiple girls who may or may not want to bone the male lead (or vice versa), that's all a show needs to be considered a harem. .

Are you perhaps out of touch with reality? Since when is 2 girls liking 1 male considered an
harem? O.o'
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
I personally feel like hating on fanservice comes across as overly prudish, especially when that's all someone comes an hate.

I see it as resgressive, too.

Though I prefer DAnime hyper over monogatari because Nisio Isin just comes across as a pretentious asshole in his writing sometimes (Melaka Box got especially bad in This regard towards the end).
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm mostly agreeing with Nick in this episode. I really liked what this episode brings about all the characters (though Mayoi is certainly the least interesting of all), especially the last bit with Senjougahara, I knew that this happened at some point in the series, I just didn't know which girl or at which point, so it's nice to know it happened this earlier, interested in more.

And I also totally loathed the sexual harassment jokes. Completely unnecessary to what the show wanted to convey, I already had an idea that Araragi was considering Mayoi to be a reflection of his sisters, and I was even okay with the joke of him punching a kid because it reminds me mostly of Rohan punching a kid. Not deeply offended because I understood the intention was somewhere else, disappointed for how it was executed.
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
I personally feel like hating on fanservice comes across as overly prudish, especially when that's all someone comes an hate.

Though I prefer DAnime hyper over monogatari because Nisio Isin just comes across as a pretentious asshole in his writing sometimes (Melaka Box got especially bad in This regard towards the end).

Well, DX D is pretty much accepting of its position as a generic harem and Monogatari isn't...also you don't know what pretentious means if you think Medaka Box was pretentious lol.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

Well, DX D is pretty much accepting of its position as a generic harem and Monogatari isn't...also you don't know what pretentious means if you think Medaka Box was pretentious lol.

DxD isn't generic because unlike most other "harem" series, it actually has polyamory as the main point, unlike stuff like to love ru and bakemonogatari that try to go with the whole "who will the main character choose a series a final love interest" that plagues modern harem series.

And Medaka Box is pretentious because it tries and fails at mocking the Shonen Genre with the obvious underlying intent of trying to be subversive for the sake of it with no real meaning.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The groping makes me more uncomfortable than is intended by the narrative, but the neutral, slapstick-oriented framing makes clear that this behavior is divorced from any actual lust. As Araragi says after they fight, “I get into these kind of brawls with my kid sisters all the time.”

Do I respond with "?" or "!", a slap to the forehead or do I point to later seasons accusingly?

Facepalm, that's the answer. Even at this point, this should color the audience's mind into the nature of his relationship with his kid sisters rather than suggest what we just saw him do is completely...

Even I can't say "innocent" with a straight face.

Coincidental.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
My ni-en is that the Mayoi arcs are the most enjoyable of the series and Bakamonogatari as a whole is the best. If the sexual harassment was really serious, it would be creep city and very offensive. As it is, it is "off-putting" but balanced by Kyomi's heartfelt concern and resolve to help Mayoi. I just love Hachikuji's "biting" threats. You go gurl!! Let's not forget that Mayoi offers that she is the "most developed" in her class and in Second Season (I think) she mentions that she is a 20-something year old internally.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My ni-en is that the Mayoi arcs are the most enjoyable of the series and Bakamonogatari as a whole is the best. If the sexual harassment was really serious, it would be creep city and very offensive. As it is, it is "off-putting" but balanced by Kyomi's heartfelt concern and resolve to help Mayoi. I just love Hachikuji's "biting" threats. You go gurl!! Let's not forget that Mayoi offers that she is the "most developed" in her class and in Second Season (I think) she mentions that she is a 20-something year old internally.

Now seems like a good time to say that if this thread breaks into anything that looks even remotely like defense of pedophilia moving forward, offenders will be banned on the spot, no exceptions. This is your first and final warning.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote

DxD isn't generic because unlike most other "harem" series, it actually has polyamory as the main point, unlike stuff like to love ru and bakemonogatari that try to go with the whole "who will the main character choose a series a final love interest" that plagues modern harem series.

While most harems do take the route of "who will they pick?" (and not pick one for the duration of the anime adaptation usually), the examples you chose are poor. To love ru, from darkness at least (anime only watcher), has one of the girls aiming to make a harem ending so it is at least a possibility.

The Monogatari franchise is not a good example as there is no question who he will pick. Certainly they throw some bones to fans of other girls, but there is no serious question as to who he will choose, or perhaps has chosen.

This is why I consider the Monogatari franchise (and SAO too) as merely having harem elements and not a out and out harem. What is a harem without canonically possible shipping? "Who will the main character choose as a final love interest" plagues modern harem series? Not quite, but rather that they do not choose an option, including all of the above.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

The Monogatari franchise is not a good example as there is no question who he will pick. Certainly they throw some bones to fans of other girls, but there is no serious question as to who he will choose, or perhaps has chosen.

This is why I consider the Monogatari franchise (and SAO too) as merely having harem elements and not a out and out harem. What is a harem without canonically possible shipping? "Who will the main character choose as a final love interest" plagues modern harem series? Not quite, but rather that they do not choose an option, including all of the above.

Can't agree with you more. The difference that Monogatari has with other Harem lite shows is that there is no doubt who Araragi likes. I think it was in Tsubasa Family that spoiler[Araragi contemplates his crush on Hanekawa (this is pre Senjougahara) and after learning more about her and realizing she is not who she presents as basically 'falls out of love' with her.] Also in Tsubasa Tiger, which is post Senjougahara, spoiler[Hanekawa confesses to him and is rejected].

So yes .. harem elements but only one canon couple.

Last edited by ScruffyKiwi on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shaterri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The groping makes me more uncomfortable than is intended by the narrative

I mean, I can't speak to exactly how uncomfortable you are with it, but I'm not sure that that wasn't the intent - this is one of the prime examples towards my point earlier about the series using fanservice as something of an insult to its audience and (and this may well be projecting or spitballing) a way of getting them to question themselves. "Hey, look at this. Does this make you uncomfortable? It should! So maybe it's time to take another look at the shows that play this straight." To me it's (at its best, and I should emphasize that it's definitely not always at its best) another facet of the show's deconstructive aspects towards its genre(s).
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
I mean, I can't speak to exactly how uncomfortable you are with it, but I'm not sure that that wasn't the intent - this is one of the prime examples towards my point earlier about the series using fanservice as something of an insult to its audience and (and this may well be projecting or spitballing) a way of getting them to question themselves. "Hey, look at this. Does this make you uncomfortable? It should! So maybe it's time to take another look at the shows that play this straight." To me it's (at its best, and I should emphasize that it's definitely not always at its best) another facet of the show's deconstructive aspects towards its genre(s).

While I don't believe there is any "deconstructive" anime, or any art for that matter, I also don't believe that the meta pretends to reach such level. I don't think the fanservice is any different from other directional choices in trying to make things unsaid pointed out, it's just that the glaring fanservice is particularly blunt. I don't think it pretends me to question if it makes me uncomfortable or not, but to make a point of "The MC's sexuality is a big part here", and when Senjougahara is shown almost naked it also means that her sexuality is a big part of her character, how she sees her body and such.

I don't see how even trying to understand (at least in this arc, I have no idea what happens next since I'm going totally blind) Mayoi's sexuality adds to her character (nor Araragi's, for that matter), since it's basically treated as a joke. I mean, it would be interesting to see what's her stance on romance and such because she's psychologically more mature, but it's also possible that being a ghost and also never experiencing the natural growth of the body as adolescent makes her having an unique experience on it. But none of that is touched upon here (not that I would like to instead of what we got since that would be a completely different focus), it's just to make a joke and to eventually lead to Araragi's relationship with his sisters. I mean, that's fine and all, but the whole thing feels completely unnecesary to get there, since they have already interacted in episode 1 like a brother and sister.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7