• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory TV Anime Reveals Full Title

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It was actually Kadokawa USA who licensed TSR and arranged for Sentai to dub it.
I don't know that Sentai and FUNi are on good enough terms for them to work together on anything (although I could have said the same about Crunchyroll before...), but they do already make use of some ex- or even current ADV/Sentai VAs and it's not like the huge commute it would be for VAs from LA. At least one of them (Vic) is now in LA however.
I'm not sure about the main character mind... Chris has worked with FUNi before but he's retired at least once. Has he been active lately?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Will the tone of this new series be light or dark? Funny or serious? 'Cause I enjoyed the Fumoffu season better than the rest.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
theNightster wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
It will be nice to have more FMP, I hope Sentai pick it up as that is the best chance of getting the original VAs back.
we'd still get the original cast regrdless as Funimation always had the second raid unlike the first two seasons which were ADV license rescues, and they pretty much used sentai/ADV's recording studio as apposed to Funimation's
Oh that is good, I always thought ADV had dubbed Second Raid, so we would get the cast back through using Sentais studios? I always worry whenever Funimation get the license to a sequel series or film, since they usually recast, Nearly all the cast for Trigun and all the cast for Last Exile, Ghost in the Shell(though that maybe because it is a different incarnation) and Escaflowne.I hadn't thought of them using a different studio like they did with Roberta's Blood Trail.

The Ghost in the Shell recast happened because Production I.G. ordered it, and the Escaflowne recast happened because outsourcing to Canada nowadays is to expensive especially for a series as big as Escaflowne let alone on that they're not sure is gonna do well.
As for Trigun ,if nothing else they atleast manage to get JYB back and tried to get 2 of the others back.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It was actually Kadokawa USA who licensed TSR and arranged for Sentai to dub it.
I don't know that Sentai and FUNi are on good enough terms for them to work together on anything (although I could have said the same about Crunchyroll before...), but they do already make use of some ex- or even current ADV/Sentai VAs and it's not like the huge commute it would be for VAs from LA. At least one of them (Vic) is now in LA however.
I'm not sure about the main character mind... Chris has worked with FUNi before but he's retired at least once. Has he been active lately?
Well there goes everything I said then, I would hate for a recast, I'm not really fond of Funis voice cast. Here's his recent stuff: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Chris-Patton/
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
theNightster wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
It will be nice to have more FMP, I hope Sentai pick it up as that is the best chance of getting the original VAs back.
we'd still get the original cast regrdless as Funimation always had the second raid unlike the first two seasons which were ADV license rescues, and they pretty much used sentai/ADV's recording studio as apposed to Funimation's
Oh that is good, I always thought ADV had dubbed Second Raid, so we would get the cast back through using Sentais studios? I always worry whenever Funimation get the license to a sequel series or film, since they usually recast, Nearly all the cast for Trigun and all the cast for Last Exile, Ghost in the Shell(though that maybe because it is a different incarnation) and Escaflowne.I hadn't thought of them using a different studio like they did with Roberta's Blood Trail.

Originally, TSR was not a Funimation license. It was originally licensed and released by Kadokowa Pictures USA. They made the decision to use ADV's studio to dub it, and had Funimation distribute it. Funi had no role in selecting the dubbing studio for that one. If you ever watched any of the early DVD's for it, you'll notice trailers for Kadokowa titles that were not distributed by Funimation, including The Third The Girl With The Blue Eye which was distributed by Right Stuf. When Kadokowa folded their US office, the licenses were generally taken over by the US company that handled distribution, including Funimation for TSR.

It's pretty unlikely that Funimation would chose to use another Texas based studio to dub a show, even one as popular as FMP. They shouldn't have much trouble getting back the majority of the main cast, as they all have done work at Funimation. The only one I'm really worried about is Hilary Haag. I don't believe she has done a role at Funimation since Trinity Blood, and only does voice acting as a secondary job. She may not be able to regularly make the commute to Ft Worth for recording. I would really hate it if they had to recast Tessa.

Chris Patton stopped working at Funimation for a while, but did two roles last year. So it should be possible to get him in back (in theory anyway.)
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Will the tone of this new series be light or dark? Funny or serious? 'Cause I enjoyed the Fumoffu season better than the rest.

That right there is the million dollar question.
FMP actually gets pretty dark and serious as the main plot progresses.
I too enjoyed Fumoffu, but after reading the manga and then going through the novels I have to admit the darker tone that occurs later on fits the series better.

my .02 cents.

As for dub cast.. This is one of the few "rare" times that I have listened to the dub for.. and I thought it was good (gasp). To be honest though.. the fact they are bringing out more is waaaay more interesting then who dubs it. just sayin.
rk-92 savage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
its like resurrecting the dead. my all time favorite show is coming back i cannot believe this.
a decade ago i was barely able to afford internet subscription, but now i'm going to pre-order that show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2