• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Scum's Wish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
While it would be nice to have one not-completely-messed-up character (well, aside from the mommy and saviour complex issues..), Kanai secretly/subconsciously lusting after Hanabi would make him kinda fascinating at least.

I don't mind a 'nice guy', but no need to make him as interesting as dry toast. I actually felt sorry for Minagawa during that incredibly BORING date...
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Gina Szanboti - I agree with your assessment except for the mommy issues thing. Not sure where that's coming from.

Well, it's not anything explicit, but there is room for speculation since the only woman that has apparently caught Kanai's sexual desire is the one that particularly resembles his mother, and even moreso, his first thought was that Akane resembled his mother, not that she was beautiful, that was a later thought.

Last edited by Valhern on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
While it would be nice to have one not-completely-messed-up character

Moka says "Hi". Very Happy

She's my favorite for a reason.....I can't wait for her arc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
@ Valhern - Ah, I had forgotten that detail, thanks for the reminder. Although, if he truly has mommy issues he shouldn't be chasing young stuff like Akane. Surely there must be a nice teacher at the school near retirement age??? And the mommy issue thing does play against the assumption that he has a secret boner for Hanabi ... mebbers this schlub is more complex than it first seems...

Chiibi, sorry to burst your balloon but it's only a matter of time before it's revealed that Moca secretly tortures and kills small animals on her path to fullblown sociopathy. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
lulz. Shaddup Blawd.....you don't know things. Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Although, if he truly has mommy issues he shouldn't be chasing young stuff like Akane.

You'd think, but I think his mommy issues pale next to his savior complex. Smile Actually, I think he was looking for a safe harbor to protect him from his feelings for Hanabi, and what safer port than someone who reminds him of his mother? When those unacceptable feelings for Hanabi well up, mommy's there to remind him to be a good boy.

We haven't gotten to spend much time in Kanai's head, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this theory pans out.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
...and if we lived in some magical fairyland where correlation was causation, that would be a really compelling point.
Do you apply this kind of reasoning when you're sick and someone tells you to take your medicine?

Every single study you can think of has revealed the more premarital sex and sexual partners you have, it significantly increases your chances of having unstable, short-term marriages which lead to divorce.

The Sexual Revolution has happened, and we have 60 years of data on it. The results are incredibly bleak and unhealthy compared to what we had before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Chrysostomus - you are proving you don't understand BSP's point about the distinction between correlation and causation. If you've had no sexual partners before marriage and your spouse is the only sexual partner you've ever had, chances are excellent that both of you have been brought up in religious communities where that is considered the ideal and everything else is "wrong." These are communities where divorce is still heavily stigmatized and therefore not pursued, even if one or both partners are unhappy. A marriage that doesn't end in divorce is not proof that it is a happy and satisfying one. By the same token, when people like that are asked, "are you happy in your marriage?" the only "correct" answer is "yes." On the flip side, somebody may be unable for emotional and mental reasons to form long lasting relationships. So they have several partners. That doesn't mean that promiscuity itself is the problem, the problem may lie elsewhere.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Chrysostomus - you are proving you don't understand BSP's point about the distinction between correlation and causation. If you've had no sexual partners before marriage and your spouse is the only sexual partner you've ever had, chances are excellent that both of you have been brought up in religious communities where that is considered the ideal and everything else is "wrong." These are communities where divorce is still heavily stigmatized and therefore not pursued, even if one or both partners are unhappy. A marriage that doesn't end in divorce is not proof that it is a happy and satisfying one. By the same token, when people like that are asked, "are you happy in your marriage?" the only "correct" answer is "yes." On the flip side, somebody may be unable for emotional and mental reasons to form long lasting relationships. So they have several partners. That doesn't mean that promiscuity itself is the problem, the problem may lie elsewhere.

But that argument is so paper thin. "Just because they say they are happy doesn't mean they are" bit is just cliche at this point. You have to understand what the statically studies did to gather such data and they probably didn't use superficial methods (coming up to strangers and asking them if they are happily married or not) other wise they wouldn't be found statistically significant and be use by any one. So, the fact that the statistics aren't being deputed on validity by professionals shows me that they are relevant and measure accurately what they set out to measure (in this instance longevity and satisfaction of marriage with correlation to the amount of sexual partners individuals have had prior to).

Also, you bringing in religion into this is funny because you try to point to moral being the cause and that people that pertain to such life choices are only "toughing" it out because they were taught not to divorce. Basically, saying that people that have less sexual partners and marry are just as dissatisfied with their marriage as the ones that do but they suppress it because they were taught too.

Telling someone that everyone feels the same way as you do but they are just hiding it, seems like an escapist thing to say not to mention very shallow. Have you ever stopped to think how having multiple sexual partners affect your thought processes and by extension your current relationship/marriage. Simply put, I believe that the more sexual partners you have the bigger of a repertoire you begin to compile of a mate that will suite your needs. It just means that majority of the time, if you have many sexual partners you tend to be dissatisfied with some aspect of your next partner because you were exposed to traits from a previous sexual partner that the current one doesn't exhibit. This creates dissatisfaction with the current partner and the more traits you compile the less satisfied you will be with your partner because you will see their short coming and know of individuals that don't have those short comings (effectively comparing your other partners to your current one). Much like how you get yourself a nice car and than after an accident have to downgrade to a lower quality or different brand, you are observant of the things that the new car doesn't have that the other one did. Having multiple sexual partners before marriage gives you things to be dissatisfied with in your spouse, whereas if you only had one sexual partner and marry them you tend to not compare them to others which leave you with less things to be dissatisfied with.

So, maybe, just maybe, if you have multiple sexual partners before marriage you tend to think differently than one that hasn't BECAUSE you were exposed to multiple experiences that you can and do draw from. Some of those things you bring into your current relationship only hinder you capability to be satisfied with your partner and THAT can be contributing to shorter marriages and dissatisfaction in marriage amount individuals that have multiple sexual partners before marriage. This is a better argument than, "they are just as dissatisfied as anyone else but are hiding it because of their religion and morals".
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
So, the fact that the statistics aren't being deputed on validity by professionals shows me that they are relevant and measure accurately what they set out to measure

What makes you think that these studies aren't disputed by professionals?

Quote:
“There are a wide variety of reasons that may lead people to have multiple partners before marriage and, independent of how many partners they have, also be less satisfied in marriage,” Dr. Jim McNulty, a social psychology professor from Florida State University who has published a plethora of research on the topic, wrote in an email.

“For example, people who tend to avoid commitment in general may have more sexual partners and be less happy when they settle down. It’s not the fact that they have more sexual partners that leads them to be less happy, it’s the fact that they don’t really like commitment. I would be very surprised if having multiple sexual partners before marriage, independent of any other factor, has a direct causal influence.”

In other words, correlation should never be confused with causation.

Quote:
“We cannot make any conclusions about cause-and-effect,” says Justin Lehmiller, PhD, sex educator and researcher at Purdue University, adding, “Could it be that multiple premarital partners impacts marital happiness? Maybe. But it could also be that people who have more partners have different personalities or different attitudes toward marriage or relationships.”

Beyond that, Lehmiller says there may be flaws in the way data was analyzed — the way in which good marriages were separated from bad marriages was “rather odd” he says. “Even the authors admit that they were ‘arbitrary’ in their report. They defined ‘higher quality marriages’ as those in which individuals scored in the top 40 percent ... Why the top 40 percent?”

Quote:
McNulty also points out that though the authors are respected researchers, the study was not reported by an academic journal nor was it peer-reviewed.

More here:

Quote:
Recognizing the potential for bias, Busby introduced statistical controls for religious affiliation and confidently declared "we have been able to demonstrate that sexual timing has a unique effect beyond religious involvement." Not so fast. This is a truly unrepresentative sample, both in sampling strategy and its make up, and statistical controls cannot compensate for this.

Quote:
I asked also what other variables correlated with sexual satisfaction after marriage, besides whether the couple had waited until then to have sex. This information was missing in his paper, although it is crucial to deciding about alternative explanations of results. It is customarily provided in a paper so that readers can come to their own conclusions. Unfortunately Busby did not respond and neither he nor his coauthors responded to three subsequent emails. So, we are left with what was reported in the article.

Quote:
We are left with survey-or better, longitudinal studies--to attempt to answer the question whether waiting until marriage to have sex improves the sex or quality of the marriage. But in trying to answer this question with these methods, a host of background factors come into play and we are then left to relying on statistical controls in any attempts to sort them

I could go on and on, but I really should get back to writing my dissertation, which unfortunately is not about doin' the deed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Exactly. Frankly, in 2017 anybody who still takes social studies seriously to buttress their own privately held opinion is well ... a bit too trusting in the "science" of social studies.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't that much of a fan of this episode. I mean, I still liked the developments, I think they're as good as the review explains, but mostly the dialogue and the events used to get there took me a bit out of it. One of my favorite things about this was that while this was undoubtedly dramatic, it still had plenty of moments to feel way more at ease, and until this episode the management of that flow between full-on drama and relaxing was kinda lost.

For example, that one moment where Ecchan touches Hanabi in the library, and we make a real quick jump to her apparently collapsing and just showing up in the infirmary so we can continue with Ecchan's discourse. It was too abrupt and unnecessary for me. And the thing is, while most of her advice reads well, the part when she talks about Hanabi's darkness and stuff I'm like "Okay, yeah, anime." The same when Hanabi is discussing with herself and inspecting her character with a dialogue almost out of an edgelord's wordpress. It's not the same as Mingawa walking by Hanabi and saying "We did it last night" was like "YEAAH, ANIME!" Because that was really cool and so fast and effective, compared to slow burn discourse.

Also Leftovers-kun was boring as hell, I mean, he is Leftovers-kun but I know for sure that a truck can run him over and I would have no issues.

I hope Moca is interesting, I barely paid attention to her before.

Blood- wrote:
^
Exactly. Frankly, in 2017 anybody who still takes social studies seriously to buttress their own privately held opinion is well ... a bit too trusting in the "science" of social studies.

Well, that is if you consider statistics as the "science" of social studies, since statistic is its own field of science altogether, working just as a tool for social science, depending on what kind and how you interpret them. Also depends on what you see as science, but I disgress.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I think Leftovers has a name. In one scene, Hanabi received text(s) from presumably Leftovers propositioning her (which she ignores). The name associated with the text(s) was Takuya I believe so he was named (though no one refers to him by name).

Edit: after examining other sources, his name is indeed Takuya

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Ecchan makes me extremely uncomfortable. In my mind, she is a rapist. This episode was the second time she had forced sex with Hanabi. Am I the only one with that reading?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
Ecchan makes me extremely uncomfortable. In my mind, she is a rapist. This episode was the second time she had forced sex with Hanabi. Am I the only one with that reading?

NOPE.

I can't freaking stand her for the same reason as you. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 21